Intelligent players + high character =

With the 2006 NFL draft almost a week behind us, let us review the moves the Bills have made.

Its obvious that Marv and Dick Jaroun feel that intelligence and high moral character are key elements to winning in the NFL.

I also did some research and found that the team with the highest percentage of college graduates on their roster are the New England Patriots and Carolina Panthers.

Winning teams with intelligent players with high moral character is a blueprint for winning.

The GM and HC believe in this philosophy and their draft choice reflect not only players that fit into the football scheme, but also carry the intelllect and character to play hard all the time.

Lastly, the year after Carolina played New England in the Super Bowl they had a string of injuries and still came back and fought hard and just missed the playoffs.

I think this is indicitive of what we will see on future Buffalo Bills teams over the next few years, and as a dedicated fan I can ask for no more then that.

For those who have doubted the moves the new regime have done, please read this post and reflect on the things I have stated.

I agree, there is only one problem- the first 4 people we drafter are not college graduates. Though they seem like smart guys devoted to winning football games- that's the important thing. Also they're really amazing athletes.

Lemme ask this one question: Did Roscoe graduate? Because, graduation really has little to do with it. When I heard Roscoe talk last year he sounded like one of the most uneducated, ignorant players in the league (ala the U). Listening to these guys talk, they seem confident, soft spoken, intelligent, willing to work, and having great leadership qualities (especially Whitner). I liked everything that I heard them say, and it seemed genuine. It was the complete opposite end of the intelligence/maturity spectrum that we have seen in years past. I love it.

While I agree with the sentiment that the new players, particularly the top three picks are a cut above in terms of the aforementioned qualities, I also find it to be unfair to dismiss Roscoe and the previous picks. Just because Roscoe may speak with a "Florida Boyz" Miami/Southern twang does not disqualify him from being able to communicate with his fellow players.

Heck, I enjoyed his interview last year when he mentioned that he felt like as a new player out of the loop, and was depending on the assistance of Kein Everett (and Kevin him) to help with the learning process. Did he say it in a manner which made it difficult for some to understand? Sure. But the effect was the same - he wanted to get better for the TEAM. Even his injury was something that seemed to me to signal he's going all out for the team - diving for a catch in camp and freakishly injurying his arm/forearm.

It takes all kinds I guess is the point to me long-winded diatribe...

Probably a big reason they took McCargo over Bunkley. Bunkley arrested for stealing a video, an underachiever, and lack of effort guy until last year. That's a big risk giving a guy with a history of being lazy a huge multi million dollar contract (anyone remember Mike Williams?). McCargo gives a great effort and is a smart kid. If you want to talk about value he is the 26th pick in the draft with a huge upside. We'll all just have to sit back and see in 2-3 years who is right. Maybe everyone will be if they all pan out!

Lemme ask this one question: Did Roscoe graduate? Because, graduation really has little to do with it. When I heard Roscoe talk last year he sounded like one of the most uneducated, ignorant players in the league (ala the U). Listening to these guys talk, they seem confident, soft spoken, intelligent, willing to work, and having great leadership qualities (especially Whitner). I liked everything that I heard them say, and it seemed genuine. It was the complete opposite end of the intelligence/maturity spectrum that we have seen in years past. I love it.

684509[/snapback]

I think the problem with these types of players is simple, they just don't understand how difficult the NFL is. Physical ability can only take you so far in a game stock full of world class athletes. In college the physically gifted often get buy on talent alone. But in the NFL this couldn't be further from the truth. We see so many upsets because the talent level in the NFL is paper thin down the line. The best master the tricks of the trade, and motivate those around them to achieve. You simply can't do that off physical talent. It explains how marginal athletes by NFL standards have been able to become hall of famers, and that top 5 sure thing that's out of football in 3 years.

When Marv was coach of the Bills, those were the same type of players that Levy and Polian drafted. It took five years from the time Marv took over to get the Bills to the Super Bowl. I trust Marv, until he gives me a reason not too. So far, he's made very good decisions and has addressed the needs of the team with high talent, high energy players.

And by the way, Terrell and Keyshawn might be a couple of pains in the butt, but if you ever actually listen to them talk, they're far from stupid. They know the game and make big plays. Just because they're selfish doesn't mean they don't know the game.

Keyshawn does not have a ring. He played with the Jets and left the Bucs before they went to the Super Bowl. I forget where he went, but after that he went to Dallas. No ring for any of them.

Smart, intelligent, hard-working QB. Who do you think of? Maybe a QB who was drafted in the 6th round and has three SB rings. Hmmmmm.....how about a "me" flashy QB for Atlanta. How many SBs has he won. I think Marv's point is that dumb, selfish players who are great talents do not consistently win. And he is right. Look at the Patriots, the model of consistency in today's NFL who stress a team concept and don't go after the Keyshawns, TO's, selfish players. You need talent---nobody is disputing that! But giving millions of dollars to college guys with a history of being lazy and not motivated is a big risk. Maybe MW rings a bell as well. Character to Marv means people who show up, are loyal, work hard, study hard, and play for the team.

Its not about any one of these qualities. Its about the mix of them. Talent on its own can get you so far. Intelligence, same way. Same thing with a willingness to learn, and so on and so forth. When you start putting all of these characteristics together, the picture looks very appealing.