Wonder how Moulds feels about The Blunder?

Eric went to Houston, probably thinking what an offense he was joining! And with Reggie Bush about to join the fold!!

I personally think the Texans choosing Mario over Reggie would be like me choosing to boink that dwarf from Poltergeist instead of Jennifer Aniston (fill in the blank).

He is probably happy - means more balls might go his way rather than into the hands of Bush.

683514[/snapback]

Good point. Bush is a remarkable pass receiver. There's been plenty of speculation about him having the frame to run the ball a lot in the pro game. Maybe yes, maybe no.

But from the little I've seen of him - mostly highlights, of course - says to me that he might end up being a formidable WR.

Why is not drafting Bush a blunder?

How many NFL games has Bush played?

683524[/snapback]

Which player -- Bush or Williams -- has the ability to create more scoring plays for his team?

Look, I like Williams and think he will be one heluva DE. Passing on a talent like Bush, however -- who will create mismatches all over the field and is a threat to score from anywhere -- is hard to swallow, particularly for a team that's dying to find some offensive firepower.

To each his own, I guess.

Which player -- Bush or Williams -- has the ability to create more scoring plays for his team?

Look, I like Williams and think he will be one heluva DE.  Passing on a talent like Bush, however -- who will create mismatches all over the field and is a threat to score from anywhere -- is hard to swallow, particularly for a team that's dying to find some offensive firepower.

To each his own, I guess.

683539[/snapback]

You make valid points...but the Texans D is also abysmal....Williams can make the entire D-line MUCH better...he too will create mismatches...plus the Texans already have some good talent at the skill positions (Carr notwithstanding) and they need a OL....

Point is, both guys can be great....how anyone can say it is a blunder less then one week after the draft is beyond me.

You make valid points...but the Texans D is also abysmal....Williams can make the entire D-line MUCH better...he too will create mismatches...plus the Texans already have some good talent at the skill positions (Carr notwithstanding) and they need a OL....

Point is, both guys can be great....how anyone can say it is a blunder less then one week after the draft is beyond me.

683545[/snapback]

You're absolutely right; the name of the game is still scoring more points than your opponent, however. I'm only suggesting that the "net" result in points is much more likely to be greater w/ Bush than with Williams.

They already have a pretty darn good back in Davis. Drafting Williams was the right move for them. Of course trading down and getting Brick may have been even better especially for that team, but they didn't need Bush.

You're absolutely right; the name of the game is still scoring more points than your opponent, however.  I'm only suggesting that the "net" result in points is much more likely to be greater w/ Bush than with Williams.

683556[/snapback]

You cant lose the game if you don't allow your opponent to score.

It's just an opinion. My opinion is that I've never seen a RB like Bush since OJ Simpson. It's been over 30 years.

Even if they didn't want to keep Bush, they certainly could've done something with the pick. The Jets, picking 4th, would've stepped up and taken Bush. Then the Saints would've taken somebody, the Titans would've taken Young, and the Texans would've had either Williams, D'Brick, AJ Hawk....and some extra draft choices.

I thought it was a horrible decision. And it doesn't matter how it pans out. Bush could fall in a ditch and break his kneecap. What matters is what they did with that commodity that day, and they blew it. In my opinion.

He is probably happy - means more balls might go his way rather than into the hands of Bush.

683514[/snapback]

With the lack of a great running game, the passing game just won't be there. Just look at the Bills last year. The Texans have a worse O-line than we did. Wow.

Look, I like Williams and think he will be one heluva DE. Passing on a talent like Bush, however -- who will create mismatches all over the field and is a threat to score from anywhere -- is hard to swallow, particularly for a team that's dying to find some offensive firepower.

I went to NC State, so I'm a bit biased, but you want to talk about creating mismatches all over the field, Mario Williams did that too. Offensive coordinators had to rewrite playbooks for games against him, and that didn't work. The Wolfpack had the top rated defense three years in a row, under two different coordinators and three different systems. Williams played three positions on the line and he even played the linebacker spot on occasion. Most of you probably haven't ever seen him on TV. NC State doesn't get a lot of TV time outside of North Carolina or ACC country. They put him on RECEIVERS coming out of the slot sometimes, and he covered them. Tight Ends rarely caught passes, because in a lot of situations, Lawson or Williams would drop out of pass rush and cover one of those pass threats. They're that good. And with all of that he still managed fourteen sacks last season, and three of those came against Marcus Vick, who has good speed and ability, like his brother.

Williams and Bush are both spectacular, but I don't think this was a botched pick. Ki-Jana Carter was a botched pick. Ryan Leaf, botched pick. Williams is the next Bruce Smith, and sorry, but defense wins championships. The Texans were right to pass, though taking him would have been a really good move to.

I went to NC State, so I'm a bit biased, but you want to talk about creating mismatches all over the field, Mario Williams did that too.  Offensive coordinators had to rewrite playbooks for games against him, and that didn't work.  The Wolfpack had the top rated defense three years in a row, under two different coordinators and three different systems.  Williams played three positions on the line and he even played the linebacker spot on occasion.  Most of you probably haven't ever seen him on TV.  NC State doesn't get a lot of TV time outside of North Carolina or ACC country.  They put him on RECEIVERS coming out of the slot sometimes, and he covered them.  Tight Ends rarely caught passes, because in a lot of situations, Lawson or Williams would drop out of pass rush and cover one of those pass threats.  They're that good.  And with all of that he still managed fourteen sacks last season, and three of those came against Marcus Vick, who has good speed and ability, like his brother. 

Williams and Bush are both spectacular, but I don't think this was a botched pick.  Ki-Jana Carter was a botched pick.  Ryan Leaf, botched pick.  Williams is the next Bruce Smith, and sorry, but defense wins championships.  The Texans were right to pass, though taking him would have been a really good move to.

683686[/snapback]

What was NC State's record the past couple of years? It wasn't great, despite all of the phenomenal talent on their D line. I live down here and watch a lot of ACC football. Using Mario's performance at State to support a "winning" argument isn't the right way to approach this. Sure, he'll make Houston's defense better, but he (and his talented linemates) couldn't even do enough at college to carry a talent-rich team to a more successful record.

Bush, on the other hand, dominated games and played a major role in leading his team to unprecendented success.

Just two ways of looking at it. I think a stud RB has more of an ability to "elevate" a team immediately than a stud DE. The Bills stunk when they took Bruce #1. How'd they do the next year? It wasn't until the other pieces fell into place that the team took off.

Edit: Look at the immediate impact of Thurman as another example. In 1986 the Bills were 4-12. In 1987 they were 7-8. In comes Thurman -- 12-4 in 1988.