WR Ashley Lelie. Is this the kind of player that

I don't expect Lelie to ever don the Denver blue again. Once you're in Shanahan's doghouse, you're done. Now that the draft is over and they didn't find a trade partner for Lelie I think the terms for aquiring him will be quite reasonable. We have too many WRs now but I would be interested in if we could package one of our 2nd tier WR (we got plenty of them) and maybe a 3rd or 4th rder for Lelie. I don't expect this to happen but it would be a good move on our part to at least inquire what it would take to aquire Lelie. Imagine him with the likes of Evans, Price, and Davis. That would be some pretty serious speed and some added size.

The Patriots could sure use a big fast WR and Lelie fits this mold. They also seem to gravitate to this type of player that is unhappy and that is looking for a new start. I wouldn't like to see him playing against us, especially with Brady being the one throwing him the ball. I guess we would find out just how fast our newly revamped secondary would truly be.

We have too many WRs now but I would be interested in if we could package one of our 2nd tier WR (we got plenty of them) and maybe a 3rd or 4th rder for Lelie.

683489[/snapback]

That would be overpaying. I'm sure you've seen the value draft picks carry. Javon Walker for a second rounder? Eric Moulds for a fifth? Terrell Owens originally went for a second rounder to the Ravens when he was a 49er?

No need to package anyone. If we were really interested in Lelie, give the Broncos a sixth rounder.

That would be overpaying.  I'm sure you've seen the value draft picks carry.  Javon Walker for a second rounder?  Eric Moulds for a fifth?   Terrell Owens originally went for a second rounder to the Ravens when he was a 49er?

No need to package anyone.  If we were really interested in Lelie, give the Broncos a sixth rounder.

683526[/snapback]

I disagree. Considering age, he is worth more than Moulds. It won't get done for a low pick. Lelie is a talented player who can step right in and would tandem with Evans to form a very nice WR set. Adding him to the field in 2006 would be worth a 3rd or 4th round pick in 2007.

I disagree.  Considering age, he is worth more than Moulds.  It won't get done for a low pick.  Lelie is a talented player who can step right in and would tandem with Evans to form a very nice WR set.  Adding him to the field in 2006 would be worth a 3rd-4th round pick in 2007.

683538[/snapback]

I believe that a third OR fourth rounder will do it. You are overpaying.

I disagree.  Considering age, he is worth more than Moulds.  It won't get done for a low pick.  Lelie is a talented player who can step right in and would tandem with Evans to form a very nice WR set.  Adding him to the field in 2006 would be worth a 3rd-4th round pick in 2007.

683538[/snapback]

True. I still wouldn't give up a first day pick, though...

This would be the kind of WR that I would like to see in Buffalo. He's young, big, fast, strong and experienced. Matter of fact, I'd trade Roscoe straight up for him. I'm not crazy about such a frail WR. He'd be a better replacement for Moulds than any of the WRs that we got in the off season.

How is Lelie a good WR. hes been in the league for years a while now. He hasnt made the pro bowl once, hasnt produced the way a first rounder WR is expected to produce. He drops a lot of passes. Why all of a sudden the hype for a mediocre WR who cant even beat out Rod Smith as the #1 WR.

How is Lelie a good WR. hes been in the league for years a while now. He hasnt made the pro bowl once...

Not really defending Lelie here, but there are lots of good NFL receivers who haven't made the Pro Bowl.

My question is, how the frick did the Patriots enter into this? :blush:

I know that New England was talking to Denver about Lelie before the draft, but I assumed that that all went out the window with the trade up for Chad Jackson. I still wouldn't mind Lelie, though, since there are still a lot of question marks behind Branch on the WR depth chart.

I know that New England was talking to Denver about Lelie before the draft, but I assumed that that all went out the window with the trade up for Chad Jackson.  I still wouldn't mind Lelie, though, since there are still a lot of question marks behind Branch on the WR depth chart.

That clears it up somewhat, because otherwise it was a TOTAL non-sequitur. Even still, the Patriots were talking with GB about trading for Walker, who eventually went to the Broncos, and made Lelie expendable.

Even still, the Patriots were talking with GB about trading for Walker, who eventually went to the Broncos, and made Lelie expendable.

Right, I think the Pats were just throwing a bunch a stuff at the wall with regards to WR, and Chad Jackson was the one that stuck.

As I said though, depth is a concern. If it becomes a big enough concern for the Pats' brass, they might give an '07 pick for Lelie, provided he's still available.

This would be the kind of WR that I would like to see in Buffalo. He's young, big, fast, strong and experienced. Matter of fact, I'd trade Roscoe straight up for him. I'm not crazy about such a frail WR. He'd be a better replacement for Moulds than any of the WRs that we got in the off season.

683630[/snapback]

I agree about Ashley being a better replacement for Moulds than anyone on the current roster yet think he'll never be a true #1 in Eric's class yet he would be a good compliment to Evans. As he offers a great size/speed combo but I wouldn't trade Parrish for him. Rather I'd trade Josh Reed, Peerless Price and/or Andre Davis for him. As I think Roscoe is too valuable as see him as an ideal 3rd/punt returnman in the mold of Az Zahir Hakim.

It makes sense that the Pats take a chance but after being less than successful with getting Duane Starks last year they could be gun shy to make another trade.

Right, I think the Pats were just throwing a bunch a stuff at the wall with regards to WR, and Chad Jackson was the one that stuck.

As I said though, depth is a concern.  If it becomes a big enough concern for the Pats' brass, they might give an '07 pick for Lelie, provided he's still available.

683787[/snapback]

CIN re-signed '03 3rd rounder Kelley Washington to a minimum RFA contract the day before or of the draft - he carried that penalty if signed away. Pats might want to take a look there. He had a bum neck coming out of Tennessee, and a snotty attitude, so he dropped in the '03 draft. The neck concerns were gone in year one.

He's still a jerk - crows and struts - but IMO should be starting somewhere. FWIW, has no brushes with the law that I'm aware of.

Good size, speed, hands. Runs a decent route.

CIN re-signed '03 3rd rounder Kelley Washington to a minimum RFA contract the day before  or of the draft - he carried that penalty if signed away. Pats might want to take a look there.  He had a bum neck coming out of Tennessee, and a snotty attitude, so he dropped in the '03 draft. The neck concerns were gone in year one.

He's still a jerk - crows and struts -  but IMO should be starting somewhere. FWIW, has no brushes with the law that I'm aware of.

Good size, speed, hands. Runs a decent route.

683858[/snapback]

I know they got Chatman from Green Bay but with Chris Henry in limbo (with his legal troubles) and Kevin Walter in Houston I'm unsure why'd the Bengals be so quick to let go of Washington.

I know they got Chatman from Green Bay  but with Chris Henry in limbo (with his legal troubles) and Kevin Walter in Houston I'm unsure why'd the Bengals be so quick to let go of Washington.

683884[/snapback]

I think they think they can get a price for him. 6th rounder Tab Perry has been a nice find, also, RB Chris Perry has good hands and runs routes with some speed. Possible duty at WR.

Of course, all bets are off if Palmer is kaput. He has a nice combo of accuracy and powerful arm and adds to any pass catcher. If he's out, the money owed and the cap hit will kill them. Whatever happens with Palmer, they have a killer schedule - seven games against playoff teams and two against near-misses, so they perhaps might be thinking more to '07's team.

Only RG Williams is contracted past '06, too. I'm guessing Levi Jones moves on - they likely won't pay what he will ask, and RT Anderson the same, or retires. I think they will strike a deal with G Steinback - he may well slide over to LT. Last year's big noise before the draft - C Ben Wilkerson - at the center spot is medically cleared, but hasn't played at all.

In any event, I've always thought that the Bills should have been interested in Washington. Walter, and Kenny Watson, too. Oh well.