Easier contract negotiations?

Milo

Since the Bills drafted their two first-rounders earlier than expected, does that mean that their contract negotiations should be easier? Are most contract amounts kind of already established by the pick/position? I'm not too familiar with the intricacies of these things, or where the Bills stand in relation to the salary cap; I'm just hoping they'll have some money left to play with. You know, just in case.

According to this blurb (take it for what it is worth) McCargo isn't wasting any time:

The 300 pound lineman tells us he expects to start this year for the Bills.  Right now, his agent is working to finalize his contract.

McC blurb

Since the Bills drafted their two first-rounders earlier than expected, does that mean that their contract negotiations should be easier?  Are most contract amounts kind of already established by the pick/position?  I'm not too familiar with the intricacies of these things, or where the Bills stand in relation to the salary cap; I'm just hoping they'll have some money left to play with.  You know, just in case.

681385[/snapback]

No. Draft pick salaries are generally slotted, with qbs getting perhaps a bit more.

This draft did however enable Ralph to let Clements walk in 07. He can now plug in our 3rd round pick, or jump on another early corner in the 07 draft.

The players themselves might have been pleasantly surprised w/ how early they were taken, but you can rest assured that their agents will still try to squeeze every penny out of the negotiations that they can (that is their job).

1st Round pick are always more difficult to sign; I believe typically the earlier the worse, so unless things have changed due to the new CBA, I'd be surprised if those two guys are signed & in camp when it 1st when it 1st opens.

My guess is no also that contract talks will not be made much easier by them getting picked earlier than expected.

First, expectations and predictions are for draftniks and fantasy leagues and we are into reality now. These expectations are not the main driver in negotiations. These players were picked in the first round and the over-arching reality of the CBA creating slotting will drive things.

Second, the slotting is really unclear right now as there is a new CBA and the salry cap # is way up. Things will likely go slow while the market figures out what the new slotted amounts are. Someone may well sign quick which will determine the slotted amounts, but if Whitner or McCargo does this it is simply at their own and their family's risk so it likely will not happen fast.

Third, the general method for the slots being laid out is pretty clearly the late picks sign first and then team work their way up the draft picks with first rounders often signing on the eve of pre-season and the occaisional uidiot like McKinnie holding out and wasting his rookie year. It is easy to see how this may happen with the two Bills picks as the alleged "reach" for them complicates their slot. However, the lead on this would be either the Bills being idiots and low-balling these two or the players being idiots and demanding a high figure. There is no sign of either occurence.