This draft provides excellent opportunity

In this draft we know that the Bills passed on Ngata, Bunkley, Leinart and Cutler (among others) to draft Whitner. We also know that our scouts thought that there was a large gap between McCargo and the next group of available dts. If we follow the four players above (and, of course, Whitner), as well as the play of dts selected after McCargo, we will get a pretty good sense of the expertise and judgment of our scouting department.

Should be interesting to follow.

I think you can/should throw Cutler & Leinart out of the mix as maybe we really weren't interested in a QB (i.e. we had much more pressing holes).

Good point re: watching the development of the 3 DTs, also relative to any of several that we could have had w/o surrendering a pick to move up). However, that is really only like 2 instances (value of Whitner relative to the 2 we passed on & then McCargo), which considering the crapshoot that the draft is, is hardly sufficient evidence to make a meaningful evaluation upon.

Sorta like evaluating an investment advisor based solely on a couple of stock rankings.

In this draft we know that the Bills passed on Ngata, Bunkley, Leinart and Cutler (among others) to draft Whitner.  We also know that our scouts thought that there was a large gap between McCargo and the next group of available dts.  If we follow the four players above (and, of course, Whitner), as well as the play of dts selected after McCargo, we will get a pretty good sense of the expertise and judgment of our scouting department. 

Should be interesting to follow.

679117[/snapback]

Agreed...

Like it or not, The Bills were crystal clear about the fact that they very much liked Whitner and McCargo...That fact cannot be disputed...

It also cannot be disputed that the Bills could have had any of the Players you mentioned at #8. So they had a lot of options...I'm not going to 2nd guess Marv/Jauron/Modrak at this point...But no question Whitner and McCargo better be darn good on Sundays for Years to come... ;)

What makes this year interesting is that it seems that Levy got pressure from the scouts to move up in the draft to get McCargo (that he wouldn't be there when they picked in the second round). Another interesting comparison will be the play of Whitner versus Simpson (i.e., first round pick versus fourth round pick at potentially the same position).