Ko Simpson

ajzepp

Hehe

had they waited till 5 to pick a safety, yeah.

678379[/snapback]

When Greggo and Jerry Gray took over, how long did we have to hear, "we don't have the personnel to run a TRUE 46 defense yet." If we're going to implement the cover-2, then I just assume we get the friggin people to carry it out sooner rather than later.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right Joe, I'm positive.  That's why I keep calling the BILLS a bad football team.  :)

But we can pretend that bad QB play doesn't have anything to do with offensive line play.  Which explains why Drew Bledsoe didn't get sacked a 50 5imes in Dallas, despite having a HOF coach who preaches run first and OLine play?

Call me crazy for thinking it would make sense that a bad team that started a rookie QB half the time would have more sacks than a playoff team starting a veteran Pro Bowl QB.

Common sense, not so common.

678384[/snapback]

If I wanted to compare sacks allowed over the past 5 years even, I'd be pretty sure that over the 5 year span the difference would be ridiculous.

But hey, at least you know what sh-- smells like, that's a good start.

OK, so you're saying it's the fault of the dozen or so QBs that have played Behind the Bills OL since Kelly that have caused the problems of the OL?

Right. Talk about using some delusional thinking to keep up a ridiculous positivity.

The Pats OL gave up 26 sacks last year. The Bills OL gave up 42.

Debate that.

678356[/snapback]

You didn't want an o-lineman in the first round. Would you rather the Bills picked a big question mark like Justice? Rookie offensive lineman usually have zero impact. They can't play special teams. They can't blcok for squat. They just get strong and fat for a year or two. The Bills need help now. That's what they're getting. Every pick so far (through the 4th) will play this year, and 2 will probably start. Youboty will likely come in on nickel packages.

You remember this defense last year, no?

Hopefully the veteran offensive line additions will improve the line--it won't be fantastic--but improve it. And the Bills keep building. This is a 2 year process, minimum. 4 of the first 4 picks could start in 2007. That would be a good draft.

You didn't want an o-lineman in the first round. Would you rather the Bills picked a big question mark like Justice? Rookie offensive lineman usually have zero impact. They can't play special teams. They can't blcok for squat. They just get strong and fat for a year or two. The Bills need help now. That's what they're getting. Every pick so far (through the 4th) will play this year, and 2 will probably start. Youboty will likely come in on nickel packages.

You remember this defense last year, no?

Hopefully the veteran offensive line additions will improve the line--it won't be fantastic--but improve it. And the Bills keep building. This is a 2 year process, minimum. 4 of the first 4 picks could start in 2007. That would be a good draft.

678398[/snapback]

Yes, they could and will likely HAVE to start. But I worry about having two rookies at safety. QBs are going to ABUSE them. Or is that just a flashback from 2001?

If I wanted to compare sacks allowed over the past 5 years even, I'd be pretty sure that over the 5 year span the difference would be ridiculous.

Yep, they had Tom Brady and we had Drew Bledsoe. Not exactly difficult to figure out which guy is gonna get sacked more.

But hey, at least you know what sh-- smells like.

678391[/snapback]

Which is why I spend so much time beating you up. :)

Yes, they could and will likely HAVE to start. But I worry about having two rookies at safety. QBs are going to ABUSE them. Or is that just a flashback from 2001?

678402[/snapback]

Whitner will prolly start. I think Vincent is the other safety starter (to keep a veteran for this year). Ko waits a year and plays special teams and nickel coverage.

Wire goes bye-bye.

678402[/snapback]

The Niners started three rookies and a second year player and went to the SB. Jesus, you B word because we need players, then you B word because we get some who are going to play. Nice logic.

Reality: We could have had the top seven picks in the draft and we still wouldn't make the playoffs this year without some seriously weird things happening. So why get so damn bent out of shape about EVERYTHING?

Whitner will prolly start. I think Vincent is the other safety starter (to keep a veteran for this year). Ko waits a year and plays special teams and nickel coverage.

Wire goes bye-bye.

678410[/snapback]

*shudders at the thought of Vincent at safety*

PS, I HATE the Flyers.

*shudders at the thought of Vincent at safety*

PS, I HATE the Flyers.

678415[/snapback]

We agree about two things in that post. Regarding the first, my god man! You shudder at Vincent? What did you think of the other projected starter: Wire? Now do you see why Marv drafted 2 safeties?

The problem is that the Bills have too many holes to fill. If Marv doesn't fill holes at center, guard, tackle, defensive Tackle, QB, TE, and safety in one draft, he's a failure? There's only so many holes one draft can fill. Seems like Marv is filling the secondary holes and at least a good D-lineman.

Maybe the Bills trade Nate for OL in the next few months. By the time the Bills are good again (2 years min), Nate will be long in the tooth. I'd like to see if the Bills can garner a good lineman for him.

You're right Joe, I'm positive.  That's why I keep calling the BILLS a bad football team.  :)

But we can pretend that bad QB play doesn't have anything to do with offensive line play.  Which explains why Drew Bledsoe didn't get sacked a 50 times in Dallas, despite having a HOF coach who preaches run first and OLine play?

Call me crazy for thinking it would make sense that a bad team that started a rookie QB half the time would have more sacks than a playoff team starting a veteran Pro Bowl QB who actually plays at that level on a consistant basis.

And yes, we've had bad QB play since Kelly left.  That's not exactly a secret.

Common sense, not so common.

678384[/snapback]

Well, this topic is taking a left turn. Forget about Ko for a minute............

I was suprised to see that the Bills took only 42 sack last season after allowing 39 the year before with Bledsoe. And that was with Mike Williams and Chris Villarial hurt, and Jonus Jennings gone.

I'd say there was "too much" pressure on the QBs and not enough space opened for Willis, whether because of the O-Line and FB, or the play design/calls. The QBs did a decent job settling for something (Losman's scrambles and Holcomb's short-yardage dump-offs) where DB took a sack and numbed the team with his glazed-eyed leadership.

The team seems to be banking on the fact that the play design / play calls were largely to blame. I'm eager to see a slightly bolstered O-line try more stretch runs without Shelton blocking McGahee (notice I didn't say blocking for MGahee) and instead more speed at WR and a blocking TE to back off the safeties and open space for the run game.

We agree about two things in that post. Regarding the first, my god man! You shudder at Vincent? What did you think of the other projected starter: Wire? Now do you see why Marv drafted 2 safeties?

The problem is that the Bills have too many holes to fill. If Marv doesn't fill holes at center, guard, tackle, defensive Tackle, QB, TE, and safety in one draft, he's a failure? There's only so many holes one draft can fill. Seems like Marv is filling the secondary holes and at least a good D-lineman.

Maybe the Bills trade Nate for OL in the next few months. By the time the Bills are good again (2 years min), Nate will be long in the tooth. I'd like to see if the Bills can garner a good lineman for him.

678438[/snapback]

Player for Player is rare, but I'd love to see that happen.

so do the bills get any media respect for drafting ko in the 4th????? no wait a minute marve shoulda traded up to get him in the 2nd or used our 2nd round pick on ko because that is where"the experts"had him rated....this morning gill brandt had kyle and ko in his top 15 players left to draft and we got two of them.so does brandt give the bills a good grade after the draft????go bills in"06

Lou Holtz?!?!

:)

LOL

That guy was a mess.

678310[/snapback]

You shut your mouth. it's an obvious shot coming from me but who the hell are you to rip on one of the best coaches in college football history? Yes, I want fries with that. Stick to your day job.

You shut your mouth. it's an obvious shot coming from me but who the hell are you to rip on one of the best coaches in college football history? Yes, I want fries with that. Stick to your day job.

678484[/snapback]

Wah.

Best coaches in college football history?

My ass.

He's well behind Paterno, Bowden, Carr and the like.

Back to the topic of Ko, I think it is pretty amazing that we have ended up with three DBs who had received some first round grades. And I'm pretty happy getting the two DTs. I know people are going to get mad about not addressing OL, but unless Brick fell on our lap, it was going to be hard to get someone who can contribute quickly, and we have been moving in free agency.

I think this draft won't lead to many happy Bills fan parties right away, but I think we will look at this draft in a couple years and be pretty happy with it, and it might have a bigger impact in 2006 than a lot of people are expecting.