This is a great idea

T-Bone

Let me post the first topic on this board. What a great idea Scott, to have a college football board.

I am a big Penn State fan having grown up in Central PA. Sports Illustrated and the Sporting News have them ranked 50 and 55 in their preseason polls. I say that with Galen Hall as their OC we are going to see Zack Mills have a great year and Penn State return to a bowl.

I also note that USC, LSU, and Georgia seem to be the big favorites this year. Don't count out the Big Ten, Ohio State and Michigan are legitimate threats.

Actually T-Bone, this board has been around for over a year. It was originally set up for the NFL Draft (mock drafts, discussions, etc.), but it will now be used for college football news, discussions, reports, etc. during the season. Once the draft nears, we'll get into that as well. This way, the forum will be used year 'round. You just now noticing that it's here? Maybe that's why only a few people come here; it's hidden too well (haha!!).

Getting back to Penn State, I believe that they're still growing as a team. There's a good young recruiting class coming in, but I feel that next season will be when they're truly ready. Galen Hall has a lot of work to do, finding WRs that can not only catch, but can also stay out of the police blotter. He also needs to develop some chemistry on the offensive line, which needs some veteran leadership. This year, we'll start to see improvement, but I'm really looking towards next year as a year when the Lions should be in the thick of a Big Ten title chase (and maybe more??).

Actually T-Bone, this board has been around for over a year.  It was originally set up for  the NFL Draft (mock drafts, discussions, etc.), but it will now be used for college football news, discussions, reports, etc. during the season.  Once the draft nears, we'll get into that as well.  This way, the forum will be used year 'round.  You just now noticing that it's here?  Maybe that's why only a few people come here;  it's hidden too well (haha!!).

Getting back to Penn State, I believe that they're still growing as a team.  There's a good young recruiting class coming in, but I feel that next season will be when they're truly ready.  Galen Hall has a lot of work to do, finding WRs that can not only catch, but can also stay out of the police blotter.  He also needs to develop some chemistry on the offensive line, which needs some veteran leadership.  This year, we'll start to see improvement, but I'm really looking towards next year as a year when the Lions should be in the thick of a Big Ten title chase (and maybe more??).

268[/snapback]

Actually my dear Mr. Rich, I have noticed the NFL Draft board but as I find the endless mock drafts and the endless discussion of same to be quite boring, I never bothered to go there.

Now College Football, that got me to this board PDQ.

I see what you are saying about Penn State, but I just have to go back a few years when Zack Mills started playing. He looked awesome and I thought that he was on this way to a Heisman Trophy. Now with Hall as OC, I am looking for Mills to have a great season. I would be very happy with a 7-4 record.

Kent State where I did my graduate work, is ranked near the bottem. Every time they get a good coach who turns the team around, like Glen Mason, they leave for better opportunies. And my alma mater, Susquehann University, was good about ten years ago in Division 3, but now are not doing so great.

What divison is Shippensburg in?

Hey, is this where the TBD chapter of the Nittany Lion Club meets? Neato.

Rich, you are SO right about the WRs. D-line scares me a little, too. But you should enjoy watching the LBs this season, methinks.....

T, you going to the Boston College game up they-ah? Supposedly, this is THE away game PSU fans are trying to get tickets to this season.

Rich, you are SO right about the WRs. D-line scares me a little, too. But you should enjoy watching the LBs this season, methinks.....

T, you going to the Boston College game up they-ah? Supposedly, this is THE  away game PSU fans are trying to get tickets to this season.

299[/snapback]

Probably not, I rather watch the game at home....and could I really go there and skip the Bills Tailgate game????

T, you going to the Boston College game up they-ah? Supposedly, this is THE  away game PSU fans are trying to get tickets to this season.

299[/snapback]

We do need a PSU fan club, don't we? Hmm...

Yeah, the D line isn't that great either. Way to go, Lavon Chisley (another young punk who can't stay out of trouble!)!! No good prospects from the recruiting class for the DL either; damn. I am geeked to see how good Dan Connor can become. I'm still wondering why Dontey Brown is not active this year. He was one of their prize LB recruits out of PA; why is he being redshirted? I can't find anything on it. I just hope he's not in jail or something like that.

The only road trip I want to make is when they go to South Bend in a couple years!

Georgia, USC and LSU are the favorites for obvious reasons.

Miami won't crack the top 5 with Brock Berlin at QB.

Florida State could be a top 3 team if QB Chris Rix could pull his head out of his butt. Chris has all the talent in the world but just can't make good decisions. He's the reason why they say the 2005 draft won't have any good QBs

I think the big surprise this year is going to be Florida. Chris Leak was awesome as a freshman. He will live up to the hype and Florida is going to have a great year!

Hmmm well lets see, Im a Virginia fan not exactly a national power house but oh well, actually they have good team this year the problem is they have a really tough schedule this year, in fact I believe their the only team in the ACC that must face all the powerhouse(ie, MD,FS MIA,VT & Clem.)

We do need a PSU fan club, don't we?  Hmm...

Yeah, the D line isn't that great either.  Way to go, Lavon Chisley (another young punk who can't stay out of trouble!)!!  No good prospects from the recruiting class for the DL either; damn.  I am geeked to see how good Dan Connor can become.  I'm still wondering why Dontey Brown is not active this year.  He was one of their prize LB recruits out of PA; why is he being redshirted?  I can't find anything on it.  I just hope he's not in jail or something like that.

The only road trip I want to make is when they go to South Bend in a couple years!

319[/snapback]

oh brother! That's all we need. :rolleyes:

All I have to say is that yet again you guys luck out by not having to play Michigan!

GO BLUE!!!!!!

oh brother!  That's all we need. :rolleyes:

All I have to say is that yet again you guys luck out by not having to play Michigan!

GO BLUE!!!!!!

639[/snapback]

Or, that you guys luck out by PSU's recent troubles. As I recall, when PSU entered the Big 11 (as it should be called), they had no trouble at all not only beating the Wolves, but also winning the conference title. It's like Hal Holbrook's classic line from the movie Wall Street: "You're on a roll, kiddo. Enjoy it while it lasts. Because it never does."

Or, that you guys luck out by PSU's recent troubles.  As I recall, when PSU entered the Big 11 (as it should be called), they had no trouble at all not only beating the Wolves, but also winning the conference title.  It's like Hal Holbrook's classic line from the movie Wall Street:  "You're on a roll, kiddo.  Enjoy it while it lasts.  Because it never does."

713[/snapback]

just curious...since PSU entered the Big Ten...what's thier record vs Michigan?

Never mind...I found it myself....WE OWN YOU! :rolleyes:

Michigan vs. Penn_St series history:

Michigan is (7-3) against Penn_St.

Average score: Michigan 25.1 - Penn_St 17.0

2002/10/12 Michigan 27 - Penn_St 24 W OT

2001/10/06 Michigan 20 - Penn_St 0 W

2000/11/11 Michigan 33 - Penn_St 11 W

1999/11/13 Michigan 31 - Penn_St 27 W

1998/11/07 Michigan 27 - Penn_St 0 W

1997/11/08 Michigan 34 - Penn_St 8 W

1996/11/16 Michigan 17 - Penn_St 29 L

1995/11/18 Michigan 17 - Penn_St 27 L

1994/10/15 Michigan 24 - Penn_St 31 L

1993/10/16 Michigan 21 - Penn_St 13 W

just curious...since PSU entered the Big Ten...what's thier record vs Michigan?

Never mind...I found it myself....WE OWN YOU! :rolleyes:

Michigan vs. Penn_St series history:

Michigan is (7-3) against Penn_St.

Average score: Michigan  25.1 - Penn_St  17.0

2002/10/12  Michigan  27  -  Penn_St  24 W OT

2001/10/06  Michigan  20  -  Penn_St    0 W

2000/11/11  Michigan  33  -  Penn_St  11 W

1999/11/13  Michigan  31  -  Penn_St  27 W

1998/11/07  Michigan  27  -  Penn_St    0 W

1997/11/08  Michigan  34  -  Penn_St    8 W

1996/11/16  Michigan  17  -  Penn_St  29 L

1995/11/18  Michigan  17  -  Penn_St  27 L

1994/10/15  Michigan  24  -  Penn_St  31 L

1993/10/16  Michigan  21  -  Penn_St  13 W

743[/snapback]

As I said earlier, before PSU's recruiting woes and such, when PSU first entered the Big 11, they 'owned' Michigan. With the exception of that first game, which featured a Michigan goal line stand at the end when JoePa 'wisely' (yeah, right) decided to run the same damn play 4 times in a row, PSU took the next 3. From that '97 season on, it's been lean years in Happy Valley, there's no denying that. They have been 'owned' by a lot of teams in that time span. But, as I said, what goes around does come around, so you may want to consider that as well. I can live with the bad times as a PSU fan; we've had plenty of them. Can you think of any other major college football team with 5 unbeaten/untied seasons that has only 2 national titles? Even when they do well, something seems to go against them. Right now, they do have a good recruiting class, so there's reason to be optimistic.

As I said earlier, before PSU's recruiting woes and such, when PSU first entered the Big 11, they 'owned' Michigan.  With the exception of that first game, which featured a Michigan goal line stand at the end when JoePa 'wisely' (yeah, right) decided to run the same damn play 4 times in a row, PSU took the next 3.  From that '97 season on, it's been lean years in Happy Valley, there's no denying that.  They have been 'owned' by a lot of teams in that time span.  But, as I said, what goes around does come around, so you may want to consider that as well.  I can live with the bad times as a PSU fan; we've had plenty of them.  Can you think of any other major college football team with 5 unbeaten/untied seasons that has only 2 national titles?  Even when they do well, something seems to go against them.  Right now, they do have a good recruiting class, so there's reason to be optimistic.

797[/snapback]

Welcome to the reality of joining the Big Ten. Funny that things started going down hill 4 years after joining...now you guys have some competition for a change. Michigan's record since '95 is 86-26...they are a very steady team, always have been, always will be. AFA PSU's national titles and "bad luck", I know full well how you feel. Here's to our next meeting!

Welcome to the reality of joining the Big Ten.  Funny that things started going down hill 4 years after joining...now you guys have some competition for a change.  Michigan's record since '95 is 86-26...they are a very steady team, always have been, always will be.  AFA PSU's national titles and "bad luck", I know full well how you feel.  Here's to our next meeting!

989[/snapback]

Their recruiting problems have nothing at all to do with the Big 11. They're losing recruits because of the uncertainty of JoePa's tenure. I believe that, plus the lack of preparing for "PSU after JoePa", has really hurt them. But, as I said, they did have a pretty good recruiting year and, in particular, they were able to get some good in-state talent, something they have been able to accomplish less and less over the years. What can I say, they're trying to rebound from a horrible slump, something that happens to every program at one time or another. Remember the Bump Elliott years?

Their recruiting problems have nothing at all to do with the Big 11.  They're losing recruits because of the uncertainty of JoePa's tenure.  I believe that, plus the lack of preparing for "PSU after JoePa", has really hurt them.  But, as I said, they did have a pretty good recruiting year and, in particular, they were able to get some good in-state talent, something they have been able to accomplish less and less over the years.  What can I say, they're trying to rebound from a horrible slump, something that happens to every program at one time or another.  Remember the Bump Elliott years?

1087[/snapback]

:lol: You're comparing JoePa with Bump?!?!? ;) Bump was mediocre for sure...but if you have to go back 40 years to find mediocrity in Michigan's program that's pretty impressive.

:lol: You're comparing JoePa with Bump?!?!? ;)   Bump was mediocre for sure...but if you have to go back 40 years to find mediocrity in Michigan's program that's pretty impressive.

1139[/snapback]

I'm not comparing the coaches. All that points out is that every team has its down period. Michigan had theirs, Oklahoma, before Bob Stoops, had theirs, USC, before its recent resurgence, had theirs, and so on. Penn State is going through one of their own right now. With the recruits coming in, I'm hoping we're at the tail end of it.

A comment about recruiting woes of Penn State. R. Rich is correct that the uncertianity of JoePa's continued run as head coach is hurting Penn State's recruiting efforts. And the 3-9 record also hurts in attracting the top recruits.

But one factor is the fact that both Michigan and Ohio State have increased their recruiting efforts in PA. Their aggressive efforts have caused some players to pick them over the Penn State, Jon Ritchie is a very good example of this.

And with Pittsburgh have a decent head coach in Walt Harris, the Panthers are now an attractive opition.

We do need a PSU fan club, don't we?  Hmm...

Yeah, the D line isn't that great either.  Way to go, Lavon Chisley (another young punk who can't stay out of trouble!)!!  No good prospects from the recruiting class for the DL either; damn.  I am geeked to see how good Dan Connor can become.  I'm still wondering why Dontey Brown is not active this year.  He was one of their prize LB recruits out of PA; why is he being redshirted?  I can't find anything on it.  I just hope he's not in jail or something like that.

319[/snapback]

Count me in for the PSU fan club!!!!!

I am also stoked for Dan Connor, been reading a lot of good things about him for this year...Im hopeing for 6-7 wins this year and I agree R.Rich, next yr is the year PSU takes a run at the Big 10 Title

As I Cuse fan I would truly enjoy a CFB board. As for PSU that program is on the decline for the same reasons that a lot of traditional powers fold ... its a cyclical process. No team can stay on top forever. I was sad to see PSU kill that series they had with Syracuse and bolt to the Big 11. Penn St. early on in that series owned the Cuse but the last few seasons of the rivalry SU caught up to them and laid the smack down on PSU in the Dome and again beating them in Happy Valley the following year. Those games were fun to watch and I miss seeing PSU on the Orangemen's schedule. I hope that they can someday get back to playing regularly from year to year ... since the Big East has become the Big Least in football we need some teams on the schedule that carry some clout ... FSU & Purdue were good starts this season.

Archived