What makes a trade down worth it to you?

Many signs point to the Bills having sent out any number of signs to other teams that they are happy to trade down their pick (for example whrn asked about some specific players like Justice Marv correctly avoided saying we did not want him but did say he is not worth a #8 so in other words if we traded down we would take him) if they get a good offer.

I'm curious what folks think a good offer might be and what we MIGHT (who knows how this draft will go in real life) garner in terms of specific players in return for a trade down that gives us additional choices.

In general, this appears to be a deep draft with reasonable potential 1st year starters going as late in the third round on the 1st day. It appears from my vantage point to really fit the draft value charts which have the #8 assigned 1400 points and saying any trade needs to add up to that total (for example a early teens 1st and an early teens 2nd end up equalling our #8.

I see us as having three immediate needs at DT, OL and SS.

If we trade our # 8 and still can get whomever is not chosen between Haloti and Bunckley, AND someone like a Winston on OL, AND someone like a Bing at safety, i think this is a very good draft for us.

My hope is that a really valued player by draftniks and pundits like a vernon Davis or an AJ Hawk falls to #8 and even though they are great players, if we pick them it may well hurt overall team development because guaranteed we are gonna sit millions in cap room on our bench while these three holes go unfilled. If we can actually trade the #8 while we are on the clock to another team salivating to get a great player like Hawk, we can potentially get greater than a draft value of 1400 points from another team for them and get several first day picks.

If we trade our # 8 and still can get whomever is not chosen between Haloti and Bunckley, AND someone like a Winston on OL, AND someone like a Bing at safety, i think this is a very good draft for us.

669903[/snapback]

As always, it all depends on what you do with the extra pick(s). If we trade down and lose out on an elite player just to add the likes of Pussyboy Eric Winston aka John Fina Jr., it would be a disaster. :)

on OL, AND someone like a Bing at safety, i think this is a very good draft for us.

My hope is that a really valued player by draftniks and pundits like a vernon Davis or an AJ Hawk falls to #8 and even though they are great players, if we pick them it may well hurt overall team development because guaranteed we are gonna sit millions in cap room on our bench while these three holes go unfilled. 

669903[/snapback]

you are correct.

I wouldn't want Tim Euhus keeping Vernon Davis on the bench :)

As always, it all depends on what you do with the extra pick(s). If we trade down and lose out on an elite player just to add the likes of Pussyboy Eric Winston aka John Fina Jr., it would be a disaster.  :)

669942[/snapback]

Why do you think Eric Winston is "p*ssyboy"? Have you "a Priori" knowledge...?

The key to the draft is where the QB's (I think they are over hyped) go.

The Titans have Volek who is a good QB. They can wait on a QB until a later round.

The Jets might take the a QB if the top linemen are gone.

The Raiders, I believe, do not want a QB. The got the best of the rookie QB's last year(IMHO). They lost Ted Washington, Sapp is old, and their DE's can be improved. I think they go with the top DT.

If none or if one QB is gone Detroit could very well want one.

When the Bills are on the clock Cardinals, Vikings and possibly Dallas(no depth behind Bledsoe) could be calling to get ahead of Detroit.

The Cardinals would offer a 4th(107) and 5th(142)

The Vikings would have to offer one of their 2 second round picks (48) and and 5th (149). That is a good offer.

The Cowboys would have to offer their 2nd round pick (49) plus a pick in 2007. Likely their 3rd round pick.

A lot of the draft depends on who the Titans pick and secondarily who the Jets select. Teams may trade up for a QB but some of the other positions they will not trade so far. Selections would have to fall in a certain way for a good trade down to take place.

you are correct.

I wouldn't want Tim Euhus keeping Vernon Davis on the bench  ;)

670059[/snapback]

Actually, it does not take a ton of intelligence to see that its the other way around. Everett was a wasted pick and cap allocation due to injury last year. One cost of picking Vernon Davis is that the contract and cap hit of Everett will be a waste in 06 as well. This time it will not be by chance it will be by choice,

However, the impact is still real and one needs to consider this cost when one makes a draft pick if you are interested in a building a winning team within the limitations of a salary cap all team suffer under.

The cost of drafting Hawk is even more clearly seen. I think he is a great player who should start immediately for the Bills. However, this choice pushes TKO, Fletch or more likely Crowell who we just gave big bucks to to extend his deal to the bench.

We likely will need to cut Posey even without drafting Hawk at #8.

We have all seen how Ralph hates to pay big bucks to a person just sitting around (as seen in him anointing RJ the starter based on his mop-up work on a disheatened Colts team and his foolish predictably losing effort to not pay Wade when he canned him). My sense is that though there is a lot to be said for the Beat Player Available approach with a team as far from winning it all as the Bills, Ralph is likely not going to allow us to pick a player whose prescence puts big bucks.

It would be dumb to think Euhus is better than Davis, but it would also not be the brightest thing to not recognize that Ralph pays attention to every $ and that the $ paid to Everett to sit on the bench again by our choice or to extend and pay a big up front bonus and then park Crowell is not likely to happen in the Ralph world.