WNY Bills? Could be the answer

LEt me begin by saying two things:

1) WNY is NOT a "poor area." The fact that the COUNTY and CITY GOVERNMENTS are falling apart under the weight of NY State's entitlement programs DOES NOT mean that the AREA is poor. Plus, "WNY" is a LARGE area. I suppose Ralph meant to exclude the MANY wealthy and sucessful communties/areas in "WNY." A few examples that come imediately to mind around Buffalo would be Clarence, Amherst, East Amherst, Williamsville, the area of the city surrounding Delaware park (aka Millionaire acres), and to a lesser exentent in terms of wealth but still successful, North Buffalo and Orchard Park.

Around Rochester, you have Penfield, Pittsford, and Irondeqouit, none of which qualify as "poor."

Or small, either. Amherst alone has more residents than Green Bay does.

IF you're going to go by the government's fincancial woes, then the USA is a POOR COUNTRY. How many TRILLIONS of DOLLARS is our federal government in the red? The difference is that Washington doesn't get a control board when it can't balance a budget. The feds can spend, spend, and wrack up massive and irresponsible deficits that dwarf WNY's "fiscal woes" to their collective hearts' content.

There is a DIFFERENCE between Erie County government and its resdients.

Sure, WNY as a whole might not be a wealthy area, but to label it as a "poor area" is simply incorrect.

But this brings me to point #2

I am a HUGE proponent of tradition. I have been a Bills fan all of my life. I buy tickets every season. I live in Buffalo.

But there is a degree of truth to the lack of large corporations in Buffalo with the buying power to purchase luxury boxes (the preferred fans in the eyes of the NFL)

I have a solution. Rochester, NY was recently ranked quite high on a highly publicized list of untapped markets for professional sports to expand/relocate to.

AND there is a LOT of money in and around Rochester.

So here is my idea: Build a new stadium halfway between Buffalo and Rochester, and re-name the team the WNY Bills.

Now, I admit, at first, the name "WNY Bills" sounds funny.

But imagine the beneifts of combining, TRULY combining, the Rochester AND Buffalo markets.

Rochester actually has a slightly STRONGER corporate base than Buffalo does. It would be a much easier sell to those companies if the luxury suite they were purchasing was only 30 minutes or so away from the city.

For Buffalo, the stadium would only be slightly farther away than Orchard park, and for some parts of the city, it would actually be the same if not CLOSER in terms of driving time.

Why change the name?

To emphasize that this is WNY's TEAM. Sort of like the New England Patriots. They aren't called the Boston Patriots anymore.

I think that locating the stadium halfway between both cities AND giving the team a more regional name helps draw additional support, especially corporate support, from Rochester, while still allowing for the continuation of support from Buffalo companies.

It makes the trip easier for the MANY fans who commute from the Rochester area, while not seriously affecting the Buffalo fans, either, since many already have a considerable drive to the stadium.

AND I would reduce the size of the stadium to around 64,000, which is what most new NFL stadiums average.

This would do two things:

Increase demand, and drive up prices. It would also ensure a waiting list for tickets.

But Troll!

I know, that part doesn;t sound too nice. But THAT is the price we have to pay to compete. Literally.

I think that a truly REGIONALIZED franchise is this team's best shot at staying here LONG TERM. The combined markets of Rochester and Buffalo could COMFORTABLY cupport this franchise, even with higher ticket prices and more pricey luxury suites.

It's a creative solution, and a bit of a compromise too.

Personally, I would RATHER have the team stay in BUFFALO, and be called the BUFFALO BILLS, all else being equal.

But as long as this team is on welfare, it is in danger of leaving.

What regionalizing the team, putting a new stadium which is designed to MAXIMIZE REVENUES between Rochester and Buffalo, and tapping the Rochester corporate market as well, does is gives this franchise a shot at being in top half in terms of gross revenues.

We'll never be in the top 10, but there is no reason why we cannot be top 16.

A new stadium, along with a new regionalized marketing plan, would work wonders.

The money is there. Anyone who actually spends time in WNY knows that. The problem is that it is spread out pretty thin.

But put the stadium a mere 30 minutes from each city, and suddenly it's a quick drive for fans of either place.

IT MAKES SENSE.

and I could support the WNY Bills. NO WAY IN H E L L would I support the team if it left the region.

Really, they already are the WNY Bills, anyways. Why not go with that approach?

It's our BEST SHOT at keeping the team here because it's the ONLY WAY we can increase revenues enough to get to the point where we aren't always on financial life support.

They wouldn't be any LESS "our team" if they called themselves the WNY Bills, but they WOULD be MORE Rochester's team than they are now, because their identity would be more all-encompassing.

Some pride might need to be swallowed in Buffalo, but really, this could work REALLY WELL and we could KEEP OUR TEAM HERE for our children to enjoy in the future, instead of always wondering if the team will be gone in a few years.

State funding would be EASIER as well, because it would be a WNY PROJECT, not a "Buffalo project." The state tosses around LOTS of money as it is. This would be seen as benefitting a larger chunk of the state, and therefore, be more likely to be acceptable than if it were a DOWNTOWN BUFFALO stadium, for example.

Thoughts?

665607[/snapback]

I agree there are wealthier areas of Buffalo but how to they compare to other cities and their surrounding areas. population 1.1 million and shrinking.

Buffalo and surrounding areas (including amherst and such.)

Average houshold income $49,535 poverty rate of 11.9% Pop over 65 16%

Charlotte and Surrounding areas.

Population 1.7 million and growing. Average houshold income of $61,000 Poverty rate of 9% Population over 65 less than 10%

Washington.

Pop 5.3 million

Average houshold income $79,000 Pop over 65 less then 9% povert rate 7.4%

So this argument does not hold water. And these are just 2 cities I compared to.

I moved from Buffalo to Charlotte and saw a world of difference. I since have moved to California and again for as much as people say it cost more out here everything else compensates.

Buffalo will lose the team if the CBA is not changed and the people keep electing the same officials year after year. Eventually Buffalo will become a small town not a city.

As with all ideas and plans it can stand some tweeks, but all in all, I think its a great Idea. One of the few people I have seen contributing positive upbeat solutions.

665648[/snapback]

I completely agree. Plus, I'd have little trouble calling them WNY Bills or just NY Bills for that matter. Not ideal, but it beats the hell out of having them move far away.

That was a lot of reading, but there are some solid ideas in this post! Bills could do alot to increase revenue streams without raising ticket prices. Look at what they are doing in Washington. F***ing Synder raises prices so high an average working family have to either pay the mortgage or go to the game. Bills have a good feel for what the WNY fans will take and can afford. I know the NFL is a business, but it is now looking more like business and less like a game.

That was a lot of reading, but there are some solid ideas in this post!  Bills could do alot to increase revenue streams without raising ticket prices.  Look at what they are doing in Washington.  F***ing Synder raises prices so high an average working family have to either pay the mortgage or go to the game.  Bills have a good feel for what the WNY fans will take and can afford.  I know the NFL is a business, but it is now looking more like business and less like a game.

666600[/snapback]

Gotta love Steve Somers...... :lol: "Steve Somers here....you there"!

Re: building a Bills Hall of Fame at the stadium -- there are already some plans in the works, or at least there were under the previous administration. Various members of the front office spent quite a bit of time touring the new facilities at Lambeau Field when the Bills were out there for the scrimmage last August.

Between the front-office turnover and Denny Lynch's retirement, though, I'm not sure where that project currently stands.