1st round QBs

Dibs

i thought drew lost a superbowl against the packers?????????????? so how does he not qualify for a qb that even made it to the superbowl drafted between 1986 and 2004?...you can spin anything you want to prove a point theses days even by leaving out the facts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i thought drew lost a superbowl against the packers?????????????? so how does he not qualify for a qb that even made it to the superbowl drafted between 1986 and 2004?...you can spin anything you want to prove a point theses days even by leaving out the facts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

665804[/snapback]

I pointed that out when I did the big list...the article forgot him.

1 QB didn't change the percentages much though...

72% are busts or not good enough.

Only 19% get to the big game.

ONLY 12.5% WIN THE SUPER BOWL!

I've made comment recently about how I believe one needs a top QB to win Super Bowls.

I stand by that thought though....

Where do you find said top QB?

I would have thought high 1st round in the draft...hell, 1st round period.

This article puts a dampner on my thoughts.

Linky: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/colu...02=stateChanged

665157[/snapback]

'How's this for a "Did You Know?" segment on "SportsCenter"? Of the 40 quarterbacks selected in the NFL draft's first round between 1986 and 2004, only three (Troy Aikman, Trent Dilfer and Ben Roethlisberger) have gone on to win Super Bowls, while only three others (Steve McNair, Kerry Collins and Donovan McNabb) even made Super Bowl appearances. When he won a championship as a "caretaker" for his second team, Dilfer, ironically, also became Exhibit A for finding a quarterback through Plan B, so to speak.'

um, i hate to rain on his parade, but there's a certain guy name DREW BLEDSOE who made a super bowl ...

I have looked at the other rounds &.....

From years 1986-2001

(I only counted rounds 2-7 since 8+ are no longer used)

# of QBs drafted in rounds 2-7 = 127

# of QBs of long term starter caliber(including pro bowlers) = 18(14%)

--plus Warner(undrafted), B. Johnson(9th round), Elvis Grbac & Trent Green(8th round)

# of QBs to make Superbowl or considered good enough = 13(10%)

# of QBs to make the superbowl = 6(5%)

# of QBs to win the superbowl = 3

--Brad Johnson drafted 9th round won with Bucs

--Warner undrafted won with Rams

Using the 'trade value chart' there would obviously be far better value/pick with rounds 2-7 rather than round 1.

I pointed that out when I did the big list...the article forgot him.

1 QB didn't change the percentages much though...

72% are busts or not good enough.

Only 19% get to the big game.

ONLY 12.5% WIN THE SUPER BOWL!

665818[/snapback]

ya sorry about that i posted before reading all the threads...i know thats a bad

Its all a matter of media perception. Everyone notices the big name forst round QB that was a bust, and everyone notices the names of low rounders that hti it big. No one remembers the countless late round QB's who wash out of the league year after year.

The fact remains, all things being equal, if your team needs a QB you are better off selecting one early rather than late.

I don't know what I'm doing agreeing with you on a QB-related thread, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

Instead,  I think the best strategy based on this data is that you pick a qb every year, and do not put all your eggs in his basket.

Okay, so you've drafted a QB in one of the lower rounds, and you've seen him practice for a year. Now it's draft time again. If you take another QB in the lower rounds, you have to get rid of the guy you drafted last year. Was one year of practice enough information for you to decide you don't want last year's QB draft pick any more?

It's hard to tell how good a QB is from practice alone. It didn't become clear that Brady was a better QB than Bledsoe, until Brady actually got out on the field and played. Favre's first team was apparently unimpressed enough with his practices to have been willing to trade him away.

I did a similar study during last season,  and had similar findings.

50%  Bust

25%  Journeyman quality

25%  Legit long-term starter

To the earlier poster who pointed out (correctly) that lower picks have longer odds,  I would differ from his conclusion that teams in need need to pick their qb in the first round.  Instead,  I think the best strategy based on this data is that you pick a qb every year, and do not put all your eggs in his basket.  You do not take a step back to develop him on the field, because the chances are you will spend years sapping the morale of the team just to find out he's not your guy.  You keep these qb's on the bench untill they show they are better than the guy starting.

Do you have to do it that way?  Of course not.  I simply think this strategy has the best W-L payoff for the franchise over time.

665792[/snapback]

Stop the sanity! <_<

I don't know what I'm doing agreeing with you on a QB-related thread, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

665864[/snapback]

Stop. right now. First you agree with me. now, you agree with me again, on a QB thread. I am going to log off and go hide in a bomb shelter, because surely the apocalypse is close at hand. <_<