Let's just hope the Bills are serious

But don't think that the Bills put too much stock in combine workouts, pro days or private workouts.

"That's the big misconception," said Majeski. "People think that if a bad football player runs faster at his pro day we're going to move him up. That's not the case because if he's a bad player that runs fast, he's still a bad player."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3717

Maybe not, but it's got Bunkley written all over it.

664056[/snapback]

Yea, I never really thought about that. But, to the contrary, I think Bunkley can do whatever he puts his mind to. Just check out the article I posted on the board, it is a prime example of whatever he wants to do he can do it.

They are referring to Davis IMHO.  Until his combine numbers he was a mid to late 1st.  Average hands, poor blocking, and all of a sudden he gets lightning at the combine.

664066[/snapback]

I think you're right. It wasn't so long back there were several TEs all considered around the same level.....

then the combine & BOOM!!!!

I don't think that quote is referring to any of those guys mentioned because none of them is a "bad player".  They're talking about some mid round or late round guy who can really run well.

664073[/snapback]

I don't think they were refering to anyone in particular but as a concept it fits to a greater or lesser degree with a lot of players.

I think you're right.  It wasn't so long back there were several TEs all considered around the same level.....

then the combine & BOOM!!!!

664069[/snapback]

I remember some early stuff before the combine where Fasano, Pope, and Lewis were ranked as high or higher then Davis. Davis and his speed pushed him up the charts.

I remember some early stuff before the combine where Fasano, Pope, and Lewis were ranked as high or higher then Davis.  Davis and his speed pushed him up the charts.

664078[/snapback]

I suppose this isn't to say Davis won't be awesome....

perhaps at the college level with generally weaker opposition, all the TEs could show their stuff. Maybe at the pro level, only Davis really has the physical goods to stand out....which was only truly discovered at the combine.

Did I just have a bite out of both sides of the apple? :)

They are referring to Davis IMHO.  Until his combine numbers he was a mid to late 1st.  Average hands, poor blocking, and all of a sudden he gets lightning at the combine.

664066[/snapback]

No chance. Davis was always known as a very good or great football player and great prospect. This guy was talking about "a bad football player" who has a great time in the 40 who is still bad. Davis is considered by no one except perhaps you to be a bad football player.

I remember some early stuff before the combine where Fasano, Pope, and Lewis were ranked as high or higher then Davis.  Davis and his speed pushed him up the charts.

The knock, or should I say knocks, on Davis were that he was believed to not be as fast as UM claimed, and most believed he was no taller than 6'1". He was always considered the top TE, but those things were what were going to push him down BECAUSE some people focus on the combine numbers too much. Well when he showed up to the combines at almost 6'4" and 253#, did ALL the drills and caught the ball well, then ran that blistering time, it cemented what most knew all along: Davis SHOULD be a great pro prospect.

No chance. Davis was always known as a very good or great football player and great prospect. This guy was talking about "a bad football player" who has a great time in the 40 who is still bad. Davis is considered by no one except perhaps you to be a bad football player.

664086[/snapback]

I don't think anyone is saying Davis is a bad football player....just that his stock seemed to be greatly elevated due to the combine.

It's the concept of rating a players physical abilities above their playing abilities therefore achieving an unrealistic assessment.

I don't think anyone is saying Davis is a bad football player....just that his stock seemed to be greatly elevated due to the combine. 

It's the concept of rating a players physical abilities above their playing abilities therefore achieving an unrealistic assessment.

664092[/snapback]

Davis was a dominant player in college, though. Nobody could tackle him and he plucked balls in traffic all the time. I contend he only really rose on the internet draft boards. The real scouts already knew about him.

Davis was a dominant player in college, though.  Nobody could tackle him and he plucked balls in traffic all the time.  I contend he only really rose on the internet draft boards.  The real scouts already knew about him.

664094[/snapback]

I think you made this point(about a different player) to me the other day....

You'd think I would have remembered it. :D

I agree with the point but....the real scouts wouldn't have know just how fast he is.

I think it was that speed etc that got him up into potential top 10.....mind you, a top 10 TE would be expected to have elite physical ability.

Regarding Davis, I think the combine assessments rightly elevated his stock to a top 10 prospect.

There you go....watch Dibs do a 180 :)

I don't think they were refering to anyone in particular but as a concept it fits to a greater or lesser degree with a lot of players.

664077[/snapback]

Yeah I should have noted that I don't think that Bunkley is a "bad" player, but ever since the Erik Flowers cluster-!@#$ I'm leery of these guys who somehow are considered better players after the last game of the year is played.

I think you made this point(about a different player) to me the other day....

You'd think I would have remembered it. :D

I agree with the point but....the real scouts wouldn't have know just how fast he is.

I think it was that speed etc that got him up into potential top 10.....mind you, a top 10 TE would be expected to have elite physical ability.

Regarding Davis, I think the combine assessments rightly elevated his stock to a top 10 prospect.

There you go....watch Dibs do a 360  :)

664099[/snapback]

Good point. I agree. I figure they had him mid first round but after the combine, he became a top 7 guy.

664092[/snapback]

VA was, as was anyone implying that the quote that is the main argument of this thread was said about Vernon Davis. The quote is" People think that if a bad football player runs faster at his pro day we're going to move him up. That's not the case because if he's a bad player that runs fast, he's still a bad player." So this guy was clearly not talking about Vernon Davis, because this guy was talking about "a bad football player"

VA was, as was anyone implying that the quote that is the main argument of this thread was said about Vernon Davis. The quote is" People think that if a bad football player runs faster at his pro day we're going to move him up. That's not the case because if he's a bad player that runs fast, he's still a bad player." So this guy was clearly not talking about Vernon Davis, because this guy was talking about "a bad football player"

664105[/snapback]

I don't think he was talking about any specific player or players - he was just using an analogy.