Jobs Americans Won't Do?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll do landscaping, too.

669208[/snapback]

Know how to frame a dormer?

Eventually, we want two on the new house. I know how to do everything except build it in to the existing structure properly so that the roof won't collapse.

Which pretty much means I don't know anything about it...but when it's done, I can hang the drywall. :)

Eventually, we want two on the new house.  I know how to do everything except build it in to the existing structure properly so that the roof won't collapse.

Which pretty much means I don't know anything about it...but when it's done, I can hang the drywall.  :)

669539[/snapback]

Yeah.

I framed Tommy Dormer for what happened to Domenik Franchese in '89.

In my neighborhood in Brooklyn, Polish speakers probably outnumber native English speakers 5:1.  They can get by in English but speak their native tongue 90% of the time.  They also have established businesses, are generally polite to everyone, and enroll their kids in public schools that are among the best in the city.  Their kids learn English, they get along just fine, and their heritage is not completely checked at the door.  There are probably around 100,000 of them in this area, about a third the size of Buffalo.

I'm not sure why these people and others like them, who work hard and fit into our society just as well as anybody else, should have to ignore their culture and background when every idiot who's ever drank a beer in this country can claim Irish heritage and wear it like a badge of honor.  It's OK to claim a background unless someone else does it -- then it's time to fall in line.

For the record, I don't think Spanish should be taught as a first language in our schools, unless they're private and that's a conscious choice.  But offering ESL should not be a problem, either.

I love what this country is capable of, but we should make no mistake that it was largely built on the backs of a lot of cheap and slave labor by both unwilling and willing participants.  Recognizing heritage is a small concession for us to make with that in mind.  Getting a tax break for being Italian-American might be a bit of a reach, though.  :) 

Short form version: this is a country of differences and I embrace that.

669184[/snapback]

That's all well and good, but you said it:

Those polish folks have their kids speak English in public. My wife teaches in the inner city and EVERY year gets a shiatload of second-generation hispanics for students who DON'T SPEAK A WORD OF ENGLISH.

That tells me two things: One, their parents do not speak English at all and two, these people want special treatment and recognition of their "culture."

I'll do landscaping, too.

669208[/snapback]

I did some mowing yesterday at work and when I got home... Heck, I even had Americans come and unload seven yards of playground certified mulch... And it didn't take an army of illegals... Just two guys... Father-son team... They got a 300K rig that will "blow" the mulch anywhere you want within 500 feet of the truck... Can "paint" it anywhere you want it...

No wheeling, dumping, raking and what not... No load of illegals...

Just 2 white guys and 35 bucks a yard... They do have the only rig in the state that does this though... But, why can't more invest in mechanical capital and make a go at it???

:)

Eventually, we want two on the new house.  I know how to do everything except build it in to the existing structure properly so that the roof won't collapse.

Which pretty much means I don't know anything about it...but when it's done, I can hang the drywall.  :)

669539[/snapback]

Now if you asked him how to get into coed DORMS... That he would know.

:w00t:;):D

But... I presume (if you have a simple cape cod)... Having the dormer properly tied into the ridge is considered the most important part. :D

You do want a dormer not a gable?... Your name isn't Ann and you don't want seven, either...

:w00t:

I did some mowing yesterday at work and when I got home... Heck, I even had Americans come and unload seven yards of playground certified mulch... And it didn't take an army of illegals... Just two guys... Father-son team... They got a 300K rig that will "blow" the mulch anywhere you want within 500 feet of the truck... Can "paint" it anywhere you want it...

No wheeling, dumping, raking and what not... No load of illegals...

Just 2 white guys and 35 bucks a yard... They do have the only rig in the state that does this though... But, why can't more invest in mechanical capital and make a go at it???

:)

670186[/snapback]

I think you answered your own question about why nore people don't invest in equipment - it's a $300K rig. At $35 a yard, that's a heck of a lot of business you need to pay that off. Not sure what bank is going to loan $300K out to anyone with those types of numbers, but if you already have some or all of that money getting a $300K rig isn't that hard. Takes money to make money, and if you don't have it, it's hard to get started.

But... I presume (if you have a simple cape cod)... Having the dormer properly tied into the ridge is considered the most important part. ;)

That much I'm aware of. I'm also aware that it depends on the existing construction of the house - judging by the way the attic's finished, the roof may be trussed in such a way that adding dormers is difficult.

You do want a dormer not a gable?... Your name isn't Ann and you don't want seven, either...

670197[/snapback]

Shut the !@#$ up. :)

Dormers. I suppose you could call them gable-style. Like this...only more balanced and not architecturally lopsided.

That much I'm aware of.  I'm also aware that it depends on the existing construction of the house - judging by the way the attic's finished, the roof may be trussed in such a way that adding dormers is difficult. 

Shut the !@#$ up.  :)

Dormers.  I suppose you could call them gable-style.  Like this...only more balanced and not architecturally lopsided.

670283[/snapback]

I was just being a smart-arse... Sorry...

I would call those (pic) gables... I was always under the assumption that a dormer was elongated and usually came off the ridge... Usually the length of the ridge... I might be wrong though.

If there are pre-fabbed trusses... It might not be economical to alter the whole structure of the roof... Of course anything can be done... For a price and work...

I would totally not hire a DP in this situation... I shudder to think... Maybe call some of the hound dogs down at the union hall...

:w00t::w00t:;)

No, those are dormers in that pic..

670299[/snapback]

To clarify my statement further, for EII...those are dormers. Since a gable is roughly defined as the triangular area under the peak, and it is possible to have dormers without such a feature (like this), you might call them "gable-style" dormers. But I wouldn't. I'd just call them "dormers", and the other example "an ugly-ass addition".

To clarify my statement further, for EII...those are dormers.  Since a gable is roughly defined as the triangular area under the peak, and it is possible to have dormers without such a feature (like this), you might call them "gable-style" dormers.  But I wouldn't.  I'd just call them "dormers", and the other example "an ugly-ass addition".

670310[/snapback]

Again... My bad... The dormer is the extension off the house.

Exactly CTM... Again, I was just funnin' before... But, it did help to find out what style you wanted and where the real structural problems would be (you mentioned that there was truss work).

When somebody mentions a dormer... I naturally think of an elongated extension off a cape cod with one sloping roof/no peak or valleys.

I understand... Sorry for the confusion... I just call them gables because they have a gabled roof...

I assume that there are 5 different roof types:

Gable... (which is your cape cod)

Lean-to... (one sloping roof)

Flat... (self explanatory)

Mansard... (note... The Mansard Inn, Abbott Road... Near The Ralph... :P:lol:)

Gambrel... (classic barn)

Everything else is some variation...

The thing about the pic (your first pic... gable style) is (and you are exactly right)... Why in the hell would they do it that way... Why not one big dormer the length of the house and maximize that second floor area? Forget the ugly arse, uneconomical addition.

And your second pic... That is just plain hideous...

:lol: