Ngata doubt

Like I mentioned in my original post, Ourlads seems to be the only one calling him lazy.  Not sure what to make of that since no-one in the know answered my question about how accurate their player evaluations are.

661385[/snapback]

Let me know who you want bios of and I'll send you the info from the Ourlads guide, Joe.

Posted this elsewhere, but here are the other DT's we should be looking at:

WROTEN? Yes, in the 2nd Round.

ORIEN HARRIS? Yes, 2nd Round.

MAHELONA? Yes, 2nd Round.

“He plays every down as though it were his last and leaves everything on the field. He is a very hard worker who is never satisfied with his play and is always striving for continuous improvement.”

LEWIS? Yes, 2nd Round.

“very durable player who hasn’t missed a single game due to injury in his career.”

KYLE WILLIAMS? Yes, 2nd Round.

“extremely hard worker with a non-stop motor.”

“blue collar player”

DVORACEK? No.

“share of injury and off the field problems which would be two big concerns of NFL teams that are interested in drafting him. He has had anger problems in the past and was kicked off of the Oklahoma football team two games into the 2004 season because of that problem”

WATSON? No.

“lost his starting position due to lack of motivation”

“Conditioning and motivation seem to be the two factors that could concern scouts.”

ROD WRIGHT? No.

“questionable work ethic as well as durability issues”

McCARGO? Maybe.

“academic all-ACC performer for his accomplishments in the classroom.”

“Some also question whether he was a product of the players around him, with first round prospects Manny Lawson and Mario Williams as his defensive ends.”

Like I mentioned in my original post, Ourlads seems to be the only one calling him lazy.  Not sure what to make of that since no-one in the know answered my question about how accurate their player evaluations are.

661385[/snapback]

I dont have a link, but one of his own coaches said that he's one of the best, "when motivated"

I dont want anyone that needs to be motivated to play a boys game for millions of dollars on this team.

Should we draft Haloti? Ngata chance.

Easy, Ramius.  The guy might get into the NFL and play his heart out for whoever drafts him, even if it's the Bills.

661436[/snapback]

:doh: I've been on a bit of an anti-ngata kick lately. As much as bunkley is my FSU homeboy, there are a ton of DT's we can grab later on. i'd still rather see #8 go to huff or davis...perhaps even justice.

I dont have a link, but one of his own coaches said that he's one of the best, "when motivated"

661432[/snapback]

Here you go.

"When he's healthy and motivated, there's absolutely no question he's the best in the country," Bellotti said. "He hasn't always been healthy, and it took him a couple games to get motivated, in all honesty. But he is as gifted an athlete at that size as you'll find, and he's intelligent.

661385[/snapback]

Ourlads is arguably the most respected draft publication. Regardless, they are hardly the only people to have called Ngata lazy. "Takes plays off" is a very common perception of him. In addition to Ourlads, read what the scout in Dr. Z's column said about him. Read what his coach said about him - it took him a "couple of games" to get motivated? LOL.

Good post. Wroten is probably my favorite defensive tackle in this draft and the guy who I think will turn out the best. He's a smooth, explosive athlete, but I don't think he'd fit in at the over tackle. If we draft him, and I hope we do to rotate with Tripplett at under tackle, we would still need a bulkier guy at the POA. I like Mahelona a lot as well.

Posted this elsewhere, but here are the other DT's we should be looking at:

WROTEN? Yes, in the 2nd Round.

ORIEN HARRIS? Yes, 2nd Round.

MAHELONA? Yes, 2nd Round.

“He plays every down as though it were his last and leaves everything on the field. He is a very hard worker who is never satisfied with his play and is always striving for continuous improvement.”

LEWIS? Yes, 2nd Round.

“very durable player who hasn’t missed a single game due to injury in his career.”

KYLE WILLIAMS? Yes, 2nd Round.

“extremely hard worker with a non-stop motor.”

“blue collar player”

DVORACEK? No.

“share of injury and off the field problems which would be two big concerns of NFL teams that are interested in drafting him. He has had anger problems in the past and was kicked off of the Oklahoma football team two games into the 2004 season because of that problem”

WATSON? No.

“lost his starting position due to lack of motivation”

“Conditioning and motivation seem to be the two factors that could concern scouts.”

ROD WRIGHT? No.

“questionable work ethic as well as durability issues”

McCARGO? Maybe.

“academic all-ACC performer for his accomplishments in the classroom.”

“Some also question whether he was a product of the players around him, with first round prospects Manny Lawson and Mario Williams as his defensive ends.”

661417[/snapback]

I think trading down and going for Justice or Ngata if he slips is the best option. However, taking Ngata at 8 would not be a bad pick. As I said in the Ourlads thread, I'm a huge Oregon fan and saw Haloti play pretty much every game he played at UO. First off, Haloti is huge, but he's not a Gilbert Brown that will eat himself out of the league. He pretty much stayed at about 340 to 350 his entire college career.

Second, he did tend to take plays off early in his career, but his last season he was much better about playing hard. I think people say he's lazy because he was often double and triple teamed so it was hard for him to get a consistent push on every play, which caused people to think he wasn't going 100%.

Finally, there shouldn't be any worries about his knee. His injury came in the 1st quarter of the 1st game of his Soph. season (on a punt no less) but he played his last 2 years without any problems at all. Not saying he can't get hurt again, but he seems to have recovered well from his last injury.

Just my two cents since I've seen him play quite a bit.