Is Clements Going To Force A Draft Day Trade ?

Mark VI

DE Abraham was traded. Perhaps the Bills can engineer something, too, if that's their thinking. With that two 1st-rounder penalty, I don't suppose anyone will tender Clements an offer sheet.

670922[/snapback]

translation - one of the top 5 edge rushers in the league was traded for a bottom of the barrel first rounder (#29) who in all likelihood never be a great player in the nfl.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

translation - one of the top 5 edge rushers in the league was traded for a bottom of the barrel first rounder (#29) who in all likelihood never be a great player in the nfl.

671290[/snapback]

What could the Jets do? They didn't want to pay the bucks he demanded, I assume. The relationship was acrimonious. He did not want to play for them. Nobody would sign him away and give the Jets two 1st-rounders. What do you suggest they should have done? :P

With that two 1st-rounder penalty, I don't suppose anyone will tender Clements an offer sheet.

670922[/snapback]

I wonder if Bflo could lower the two 1sts penalty..? For example: water it down to one 1st... or even a 2cd.

But even reducing the compensation to the Bills won't get any teams to bite on Nate. There is no team out there who think's he's worth what he thinks he's worth.

Until Nate gets a realistic grasp on his market value, he is un-tradeable.

I don't think teams are allowed to trade free agents.  I think they can only trade guys under contract.  :D

671285[/snapback]

I can't believe you're serious about this, but I'll play along. He's franchise tagged (doesn't matter that he hasn't signed the offer sheet), which means:

a.) Bills have matching rights,

b.) if a team does sign him while he's still tagged, they have to give two first round draft picks to the Bills.

So the Bills basically have the rights to him. It's pretty much the same thing they did with Peerless. You work out a deal with another team (for something less than 2 firsts) and lift the tag for them to sign him.

What could the Jets do? They didn't want to pay the bucks he demanded, I assume. The relationship was acrimonious. He did not want to play for them. Nobody would sign him away and give the Jets two 1st-rounders. What do you suggest they should have done? :D

671315[/snapback]

good question. truthfully, i don't know -- maybe ponied up and signed him? waited longer, especially when players drop like flies during preseason? i dunno. it just feels to me that they got very little value for a true difference maker (and a guy who has murdered the bills).

I'm ready to see Clements tear sh-- up next year with a chip on his shoulder. He's the hardest hitting corner I can remember in recent memory anyway. What other corner can hit like he can?

671597[/snapback]

Antoine Winfield and Brian Kelly. Thats off the top of my head. Suffice to say though theres not many.

I think what seems liks a majority of bills fans rip on Nate as if he's a bottom of the barrel cb when his stats clearly say different. Nates season this past season reminded me of Champ Baileys 04 season. Where he got burned quite a bit, and really didnt make an impact. Bailey bounced back with 7 ints this past season but for the record denvers pass defense ranked lower then ours. Nate is a top corner and only 25 years old just entering the prime of his career. Hopefully he sticks around. However if someone like Ashton Youboty is available in the 2nd I'd jump on that, if the bills dont think they'll be able to sign Nate Long term. Have Youboty learn from the nickle spot for a year and try to trade nate next season.

What team is going to give us a 1st round pick for a CB with one season remaining on his contract without first knowing that he would extend?

I wouldn't even give up a 2nd for that. CBs can be found in round 2 also. I might give a 3rd.

But if Clements doesn' t play this season, even a 6th is better than nothing.

What team is going to give us a 1st round pick for a CB with one season remaining on his contract without first knowing that he would extend? 

I wouldn't even give up a 2nd for that.  CBs can be found in round 2 also.  I might give a 3rd. 

But if Clements doesn' t play this season, even a 6th is better than nothing.

671789[/snapback]

Ah, theres no seasons remaining on his contract, thats why he got the tag which if he signs, gives him a one year contract, unless the Bills can work out a deal to sign him long term, which I think will happen sometime after the draft raps up and Marv can turn his attention to contract talks with Nate.