10 Years Ago

From The Archives -

The Bills sign linebacker, Chris Spielman on March 19, 1996 as an unconditional free agent (4 years - $8 Million - $2M signing bonus).

Chris addressed the reporters,

"If I ever lie down on the football field, one of you guys get your hunting rifle out and put me out of my misery"

How did he feel about moving outdoors after eight seasons under the Pontiac Silverdome ?

"I've long stated that domed stadiums were kind of a communist plot to weaken us mentally. Now if we get rid of the Astroturf, we'll really be in shape."

The Bills re-sign QB, Alex Van Pelt to a four year deal. The package is worth $1.57 Milllion of which $400K is a signing bonus. Alex had made the league minimum of $165K in 1995 and was an exclusive rights free agent. Van Pelt had apparently overtaken Todd Collins as the Bills #2 QB with a stellar performance in last season's finale loss against Houston (10 for 18, 106 yards and 2 TD's). AVP also threw a TD pass after relieving Jim Kelly in the Pittsburgh playoff game.

John Butler said, "He (AVP) performed admirably when he had his chance. Now there's a chance for him to compete with Todd. And with three years to go on Todd's contract, we've got two young guys tied up for a while behind our great starter."

April 11, 1996 - Andre Reed returns to Buffalo for a workout. The free agent had suffered a serious hamstring injury in 1995 and did not play until the last two games of the season. He did not work out for any teams during the initial free agent period as he did not feel ready. The Bills had already signed FA Quinn Early and had Russell Copeland, Chris Brantley and Steve Tasker on the WR roster. Reed had made $1.5 milllion the previous season while Early was signed to a $2.2 million per annum deal.

Reed ran routes and caught passes from Todd Collins under the watchful gazes of

Butler, Levy and assistant coaches. The Bills' hierarchy left with no comments.

Andre said it was strange for an 11-year veteran to try out for his own club.

The Bills are focusing on speed and sacks fpr the upcoming draft. They expect that Keyshawn Johnson, Terry Glenn, Marvin Harrisson and Eric Moulds will be gone before their #24 pick. That leaves them looking at Derrick Mayes, Eddie Kenninson and Alex Van Dyke.

Larry Felser speculates the Harrisson is the best fit. Kenninson is really a junior and neither Moulds or Mayes have the potential as a return man.

On defense, the Bills are looking at Greg Myers (Alcorn St.) or Israel Ifeanyi (Washington)

Nice blast, Lambo.

I'm looking at the wide receiver list after Andre, "FA Quinn Early and had Russell Copeland, Chris Brantley and Steve Tasker"...YIKES! I guess we shouldn't complain about the state of our receiving corps post Moulds.

Thanks...

I was in the basement the other day and found a bunch of Shout magazines and started reading them....

boy I miss those days...

657130[/snapback]

Me too....I used to get so damn excited whenever that thing would come in the mail.

They expect that Keyshawn Johnson, Terry Glenn, Marvin Harrisson and Eric Moulds will be gone before their #24 pick.  That leaves them looking at Derrick Mayes, Eddie Kenninson and Alex Van Dyke.

Larry Felser speculates the Harrisson is the best fit. Kenninson is really a junior and neither Moulds or Mayes have the potential as a return man .

On defense, the Bills are looking at Greg Myers (Alcorn St.) or Israel Ifeanyi (Washington)

657111[/snapback]

I love t that line especially considering Moulds was our primary return man his 1st and 2nd seasons. Infact his rookie year he took one the distance.

I love t that line especially considering Moulds was our primary return man his 1st and 2nd seasons. Infact his rookie year he took one the distance.

657189[/snapback]

Felser nailed it, that time, IMO. Harrison would have been the best pick, but Moulds was probably next best, for our purposes at the time.

Felser nailed it, that time, IMO.  Harrison would have been the best pick, but Moulds was probably next best, for our purposes at the time.

657210[/snapback]

For sure I remember thinking Harrison was ours after the Rams took Kennison and then cursing the Colts. Infact I did the very same thing the next year when they took Tarrick Glenn. Yet as said in a prior post, I really felt out best choice that year would have been Amani Toomer because of his prior history with Todd Collins at Michigan. :D