Willis & Nate

im saving myself the energy of worrying so much about who's gonna be drafted and who is and who isnt showing up to minicamp. cause honestly it doesnt affect my life in any way. last season has really lowered my expectations. I am surprised how many people are getting worked up over nate not showing up. We can choose to let it affect us or not. now im not criticizing you folks about being emotional about our bills. you have every right to be. so dont attack me for saying this.

Unfortunately for me, last season I got too worked up over the season. I'm gonna wait and see what happens during the season. I could care less who is doing great in training camp or how JP does in preseason. I'll watch draft day of course, but not with the same intent as I used to. Who knows?? maybe this will be a good year. But thats only a dream at this point in time for me.

I'm not sure about the franchise tag thing, but as I said in my last post, if he waits as long as those other guys have in the past, it will hurt him.  Yes, it only April now, but if Nate follows historical trends he won't be showing up until around the 3rd pre-season game.  That would give him about a month to learn how to play with the rest of the team.

He could sign tomorrow and put an end to all of the discussion, but if he chooses to wait, which is my guess, it will get ugly. 

Note - I think he waits as long as a long term deal isn't worked out.  If he plays the season under the franchise tag, I wouldn't expect to see him until late in preseason.

656430[/snapback]

this is the most likely scenario, provided we dont sign him to a long term extension. The franchise tender is SALARY, not bonus. So if Nate signs the tender now, and gets hurt in camp, buffalo can cut him and not take any penalty. His salary isnt guaranteed until the first game.

Frankly, i see no problem with signing Nate to a 7 year 45 mil contract with a 15 mil signing bonus. With all the cap room we have this year, we could take a big cap hit this season (maybe 9-10 mil of the SB) and spread the remaining bonus over the life of his contract.

For the past few years every franchise player i've heard of doesn't sign the tender right away...Walter Jones was tagged something like 3 years in a row and didn't show up to anything til the season started.

:

656410[/snapback]

Bruce Smith was years ahead of his time.