Coworkers from Hell!

How many of you work with creeps, slackers, lunch stealers, clockwatchers, jerks, and other irritating folks?

Well I have a coworker, "Joe," who takes the cake. We are both social workers for the city. When I first started working there Joe sits in the chair near my desk and tells me all his personal problems. I listened politely, but I'm saying to myself, "excuse me, but I don't want to hear this." Joe is single and always worrying about picking up "chicks." And he's 44 years old! He also has four cats. Now, I love cats, but when you have that many,I think you are getting into crazy-cat-person territory.

Well anyway, we had to go on a field visit in what is politely called a "distressed" neighborhood. Anyway, Joe says that he has to go to the bathroom. I thought he was just going to go across the street to the McDonald's. Imagine my shock and disgust when he went in the bushes! Then we finally found the house we were looking for and then he says he has to go again and does it again! There were two women sitting on their porch and they looked at him like he was crazy. I thought this was very disrespectful not only to me, but to the people in the neighborhood. Just because you're poor doesn't mean you want people urinating on your street, Joe lives in a very nice apartment complex in a nice part of the city. I'm sure he wouldn't want people to p*ss in his bushes.

Then on another occasion we were going to this home on a one-way street to place a child in a foster home. We had the city car, a big Dodge Caravan. So this idiot goes the wrong way down the one-way street! When I pointed this out to him, he said "oh, people will think we're the police." Uh, no. This vehicle just says "City of Philadelphia" on it and DOES NOT look like a police van. We're lucky we didn't get hit.

Joe is always wondering why he doesn't get second dates. I feel like saying "because you are a creep and a weirdo, honey." Once he went out with this woman and she said not to call her for two months because she'd be busy. And after two months he actually called her! He just doesn't get it.

Then there are these two women who sit near me who are actually nice, but they are desperate to get married and are always talking about men like two teenage girls--"oh, you know he didn't call me," etc. They sound like my 17 yr. old and one is 38 and the other is 42! I'm not a prude but sometimes their conversation turns very explicit -- like talking about the "ideal size for men" (and I'm not talking about height). Yes, they use words that rhyme with "sock," "stick," etc. I don't think these kind of conversations are suitable for the workplace. Just thinking -- if the men in the office talked this way about women, there would be an EEOC lawsuit quicker than you could say "Anita Hill."

Then there are these two women who sit near me who are actually nice, but they are desperate to get married and are always talking about men like two teenage girls--"oh, you know he didn't call me," etc.  They sound like my 17 yr. old and one is 38 and the other is 42!  I'm not a prude but sometimes their conversation turns very explicit -- like talking about the "ideal size for men" (and I'm not talking about height).  Yes, they use words that rhyme with "sock," "stick," etc.  I don't think these kind of conversations are suitable for the workplace.  Just thinking -- if the men in the office talked this way about women, there would be an EEOC lawsuit quicker than you could say "Anita Hill."

649998[/snapback]

One call to HR solves this problem. Doesn't matter if they are talking to you, about you or in front of you. If you hear it, and it bothers you, HR will deal with them...

I have nothing as good as your stories... But I'll throw mine in anyway :doh:

This was at my last company (I got a new job last month). Anyway, the other two people in my group quit within a few months of each other (damn them.... Actually, I'm still friends with them but it DID suck for me :) ). The company hired a replacement. After the first couple of weeks, the guy wants to work 11am-7pm, and my (terrible) manager agrees. Keep in mind that I worked 6am-3pm, and the guy needed a lot of crosstraining on our environment.

Anyway, after a few days his shift started becoming 11:30-6:30... And he'd frequently leave at 5pm or so on Fridays... :lol: To top it off, at least 2-3 times a week, he'd come in to work at 11:30 or so, then leave for lunch after about 10 minutes and not come back until 1:30 or so!!! WTF?!

So while I was working 50 hour weeks, he was working 30-35 hours. Nice.

Not the reason I left, but it was definately a contributing factor after living with that for 6 months. I guess I blame the "manager" more though.

CW

I work in the construction field and if you slack to much or are just being a ass. You pay in hillarious ways. Ducked taped in the portajohn, big signs taped to your tailgate stating the rediculous. Kind of immature but it works. They either tighten up or their in for a smogasboard of pranks or worse.

I work in the construction field and if you slack to much or are just being a ass. You pay in  hillarious ways. Ducked taped in the portajohn,  big signs taped to your tailgate stating the rediculous. Kind of immature but it works. They either tighten up or their in for a smogasboard of pranks or worse.

650021[/snapback]

Ever hook the john to the 322 and lift? :lol:

:lol: , Watched one get pushed side to side forcefully enough that the contents in the tank splashed out, that chump was not happy. :doh:

650036[/snapback]

I love site work. Might be going back to it. Decided it was time to leave Washington.

Bar the door from the outside - add a cherry bomb down the vent pipe

Works every time  :lol:

650031[/snapback]

If there happens to sufficient space between the bottom the door and the sillplate, 3 or 4 bottle rockets launched into the room is a nice touch.

One call to HR solves this problem. Doesn't matter if they are talking to you, about you or in front of you. If you hear it, and it bothers you, HR will deal with them...

650004[/snapback]

Melissa could reek havoc, if she wanted to, on both Joe and the old whores with a quick note to HR. But, perhaps, like me, she realizes there is nothing more vile in the corporate world as HR people. Except for the administration of benefits, these festering pustules tend to be as useful as breasts on a bull.

The only people worse than the friendly (lying, backstabbing) folks in HR are the cretins who run to HR without first trying to address the problems with co-workers themselves.

I'm not taking a shot at you, you Mad Cap, you. Her situation is clearly wack. And of course (here comes the disclaimer) I realize I'm stereotyping and not ALL HR people are suck-up drones without any particular worthwhile skill-set. So, if you're in HR, I wasn't talking about you...necessarily. :lol:

Melissa could reek havoc, if she wanted to, on both Joe and the old whores with a quick note to HR.  But, perhaps, like me, she realizes there is nothing more vile in the corporate world as HR people.  Except for the administration of benefits, these festering pustules tend to be as useful as breasts on a bull.

The only people worse than the friendly (lying, backstabbing) folks in HR are the cretins who run to HR without first trying to address the problems with co-workers themselves.

I'm not taking a shot at you, you Mad Cap, you.  Her situation is clearly wack.  And of course (here comes the disclaimer) I realize I'm stereotyping and not ALL HR people are suck-up drones without any particular worthwhile skill-set.  So, if you're in HR, I wasn't talking about you...necessarily.  :lol:

650053[/snapback]

Always helps to include a disclaimer.

I don't think it's a periferral to refer back to Ed's thread. There is something really wrong in the Government Social Services business. Has been for a while, but this isn't PPP. Just too many of the same types of stories. The company I just recently walked away from has an absolutely wonderful HR department, with some really great people. I did more harm to them than they did to me, and a month gone, I get calls and stuff to help me out. This is also a multi-thousand person company. In other words, not me, but their philosophy.

Melissa could reek havoc, if she wanted to, on both Joe and the old whores with a quick note to HR.  But, perhaps, like me, she realizes there is nothing more vile in the corporate world as HR people.  Except for the administration of benefits, these festering pustules tend to be as useful as breasts on a bull.

I'm not taking a shot at you, you Mad Cap, you.  Her situation is clearly wack.  And of course (here comes the disclaimer) I realize I'm stereotyping and not ALL HR people are suck-up drones without any particular worthwhile skill-set.  So, if you're in HR, I wasn't talking about you...necessarily.  :doh:

650053[/snapback]

Nope, not an evil HR type, I'm more of the Mad Scientist type. A word of advice, NEVER piss off a Chemist... :lol:

Sure do!

Not really a coworker and I really only have to deal with her through electronic forms of communication, but all this woman does is whine and complain about her life. Woe is her. It's kind of pathetic to watch really.

I wish this woman would grow some confidence and take control of her life and stop playing the victim. It's sad to watch and I'm sure the woman deserves better then she allows herself to get.

Sure do!

Not really a coworker and I really only have to deal with her through electronic forms of communication, but all this woman does is whine and complain about her life. Woe is her. It's kind of pathetic to watch really.

I wish this woman would grow some confidence and take control of her life and stop playing the victim. It's sad to watch and I'm sure the woman deserves better then she allows herself to get.

650084[/snapback]

Truth post? Get ready for the fat guy board.

On the contrary, HR is very useful. They help those of us in management determine who the whiners and complainers are so that we can be sure to include them in the next layoff.

Plus, you get a lot of hotties in HR! :lol:

How many of you work with creeps, slackers, lunch stealers, clockwatchers, jerks, and other irritating folks? 

Well I have a coworker, "Joe," who takes the cake.  We are both social workers for the city.  When I first started working there Joe sits in the chair near my desk and tells me all his personal problems.  I listened politely, but I'm saying to myself, "excuse me, but I don't want to hear this."  Joe is single and always worrying about picking up "chicks."  And he's 44 years old!  He also has four cats.  Now, I love cats, but when you have that many,I think you are getting into crazy-cat-person territory.

Well anyway, we had to go on a field visit in what is politely called a "distressed" neighborhood.  Anyway, Joe says that he has to go to the bathroom.  I thought he was just going to go across the street to the McDonald's.  Imagine my shock and disgust when he went in the bushes!  Then we finally found the house we were looking for and then he says he has to go again and does it again!  There were two women sitting on their porch and they looked at him like he was crazy.  I thought this was very disrespectful not only to me, but to the people in the neighborhood.  Just because you're poor doesn't mean you want people urinating on your street,  Joe lives in a very nice apartment complex in a nice part of the city.  I'm sure he wouldn't want people to p*ss in his bushes.

Then on another occasion we were going to this home on a one-way street to place a child in a foster home.  We had the city car, a big Dodge Caravan.  So this idiot goes the wrong way down the one-way street!  When I pointed this out to him, he said "oh, people will think we're the police."  Uh, no.  This vehicle just says "City of Philadelphia" on it and DOES NOT look like a police van.  We're lucky we didn't get hit.

Joe is always wondering why he doesn't get  second dates.  I feel like saying "because you are a creep and a weirdo, honey."  Once he went out with this woman and she said not to call her for two months because she'd be busy.  And after two months he actually called her!  He just doesn't get it.

Then there are these two women who sit near me who are actually nice, but they are desperate to get married and are always talking about men like two teenage girls--"oh, you know he didn't call me," etc.  They sound like my 17 yr. old and one is 38 and the other is 42!  I'm not a prude but sometimes their conversation turns very explicit -- like talking about the "ideal size for men" (and I'm not talking about height).  Yes, they use words that rhyme with "sock," "stick," etc.  I don't think these kind of conversations are suitable for the workplace.  Just thinking -- if the men in the office talked this way about women, there would be an EEOC lawsuit quicker than you could say "Anita Hill."

649998[/snapback]

I really had to go!!!!!