bills should move up to #2 and draft dbrick

Its been six years and we haven't even had a competitive team on the field, ket alone thing about the playoffs.  The marathon is over.  It's time for a new race.  And I completely agree we need to build for the future, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we're more likely to get a franchise player in the 1st round than in the 2nd or 3rd round.

649946[/snapback]

I was just having fun with the metaphors.

are you kidding me???? get out of the first round altogether, from the #8 spot to out of the first round

that might be the dumbest statement Ive read about this draft yet and there are a lot of dumb statements being made

you do not drop out of the first round from the top ten

649799[/snapback]

My point is there are no sure fire picks to pick at 8. Well Vernon Davis, but our need at tight end is minimal. For the picks, there is alot more value in the later rounds. If my statements are dumb...whats your draft strategy? Trade all our picks for Ferguson? There are no picks in the top ten that are not a "bust potential"...and I for one think we have had enough of those. Mike Williams ring any bells?

This is one of the more thoughtful discussions recently. I just hope the front office is being as thoughtful. My philosophy is trading up and trading down are both great ideas if the deal is right. Extra picks in the 2nd and 3rd could do a lot to improve this team, so if moving down from #8 gives us the right deal and a good mid round pick to get a Bunkley or someone, go for it. Moving up for Mario Williams would be outstanding, and potentially up less for someone else. The question is what we have to give up to do it. We have to be ready to move up, move down, or stay based on what OTHER teams are willing to do.

Dealing with New Orleans at #2 seems a little silly, because there is enough Leinart interest from other teams to not get value here. If New Orleans will make us a good deal, I'm very happy, but I see it as unlikely. Maybe Tennessee at #3 still wants a QB and sees Young falling to #8. So they could be interested in a swap, either of picks, or of players after picked (they pick Mario, we pick Young if he falls, and we swap giving them something else in the process, etc).

Cleveland wants Ngata and would move to #8 for an additional pick, and we pick Bunkley at #12? Sounds reasonable if the pick is good. Broncos would give up #15 and a second rounder to move up? Might make sense if we don't think there is someone really special at #8, and want more depth.

So the right deal would make moving up or down a great idea, but it depends on the team we are dealing with, because we want to take advantage of their emotions to make our situation better than staying at #8 (whether win-win, or taking them for a ride, either way is fine). We need to put preconceived notions aside, and figure out the best way to get the most help for our football team in the years to come.

All that said, if all three QBs are off the board, there will be some serious quality at #8 and I would be tempted to stay. If one of the three QBs is on the board, I think our best bet might be trading down for someone who wants him.

..And this is pretty much how I see it. I'm not adverse to moving up or down. But we can't sell off all our picks to move up, nor should we mover completely out of the 1st round, just to get more picks. Maybe we can't get the #1 or #2 lineman, but then we trade down, just a few spots and take the #3 or #4 rated guy.

But, we don't just take the best player available. That's been the approach for years and it clearly hasn't worked. We need to determine what our biggest needs are - OL and DL. And draft the best players available for those positions.

But what if we're at 8, and no one wants to trade, do you still take this Bunkley fella? I'd say yes if he's the best lineman left.

There are four thoughts to this whole idea of moving up, trading down, or staying put:

1. Trading up with New Orleans would be great if we wouldn't have to give up our entire draft (remember a few years back for Ricky Williams)

2. Trading down would be great as long as we could still get what we truly want and no one really knows who this may be {Marv is not going to show his hand}

3. This discussion would all be a moot point had we just lost the game near the end of the year to the Bengals (remember Terrence and his pick?) as we would be sitting at number 3 and have a choice of either D'Brick or Mario, whoever was not taken at number 2.

I remember a few weeks back the post that was started about us beating the Bengals :lol::doh:

4. Staying put is not all bad. We need to trust the braintrust to do their job and know that we will get a quality pick at #8 and still get some quality guys in the later rounds (remember NE getting Tom Brady in the 6th?)

I think we should do it even though a lot of people don't like it.  We need a LT thats going to last for years and this guy is it.  Please let me know what you guys think.

649776[/snapback]

No way...This Roster is not even close to being a Player or two away. Trade Down a bit...Stockpile Draft Picks...And don't expect much in 2006...Another good Draft in 2007, and the Bills should be well on their way to contention again...

Just my opinion... :lol:

I believe we all have good ideas to what the Bills need and I agree with everyone but we need offensive linemen period. All the rumars about JP are probably untrue and we need to give him some time to develop I hope that we don't give up on JP this year. Now if he still has a bad year and doesn't improve next year i'm all for trading him. But I still believe that he's going to be a good QB.