Up the Bills gut.

Hawk may be better because of the options his comination of strength and speed gives Fewell's schemes.

Hawk could very well be our choice if Green Bay takes Ngata. We'd end up taking their projected choice.

Let's look at the three other teams guts that run the Cover 2.

The #1 ranked D (according to yards allowed) was the Tampa Bay Bucs. He's the got of their defense:

Chris Hoven 6'2" 298 lbs and Booger McFarland 6'0" 300 lbs.

Shelton Quarles 6'1" 225 lbs.

Jermaine Phillips 6'1" 214 lbs and Will Allen 6'1" 200 lbs.

Now let's look at the roots of the Bills defense and the Chicago Bears, who ranked #2 in the leage in yards allowed.

Tommie Harris 6'3" 300 lbs and Ian Scott 6'3" 302 lbs.

Brian Urlacher 6'4" 258 lbs

Mike Brown 5'10" 207 lbs and Chris Harris 6'0" 200 lbs.

and finally the Colts, where Triplett came from from who ranked 11th overall in yards against.

Corey Simon 6'2" 293 lbs and Monte Reager 6'3" 285 lbs.

Rob Morris 6'2" 243 lbs.

Mike Doss 5-10 207 lbs and Bob Sanders 5'8: 207 lbs.

Size isn't shown to be needed with these other teams, that again all run a scheme similar to the one we're planning in implenting. So while we could take Ngata with our first pick we might be better off taking another player (right now I say Huff) and getting a quality DT later in the draft.

643489[/snapback]

there's not a snowball's chance in hell that corey simon was 293 last year. as for size, low center of gravity is the issue in any case -- simon and mcfarland have it; the guys on the bills don't.

As Steve Martin used to say, "Let's get small."

Colts MLB was Gary Brackett (5'11" - 235lb)....

"Brackett, who moved into the starting linebacker role last season after two seasons as a nickel linebacker/special teams player, started all 16 games after playing in all but one game the previous two seasons. He emerged quickly as one of the top pass-defending linebackers in the league, defending five passes and intercepting three others. " Colt's website discussing their LBs.  I should have remembered him - Rutgers grad.  :P

Like Quarles and Brooks who can drop back into that deep 1/3 for Kiffin's Bucs, Dungy can use either Cato June (6' - 227lb) or Brackett. 

Having multiple LB candidates that can assume that deep middle 1/3 is essential. 

Where are ours?

643670[/snapback]

Hey, wasn't "Steve Martin" a Colts DL a few years ago?

Guest BackInDaDay
Hey, wasn't "Steve Martin" a Colts DL a few years ago?

644072[/snapback]

EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :doh:

Guest BackInDaDay

Interesting article from the Buffalo News this morning discussing this very subject...

I've edited it to hi-lite a couple points, but the whole thing is available on the TBD page.

Ngata may not fit Bills' defensive needs

By MARK GAUGHAN

News Sports Reporter

3/28/2006

ORLANDO, Fla. - It's starting to look like the Buffalo Bills will not be able to address their needs on either the offensive or defensive line with the eighth overall pick in the NFL draft.

Conventional wisdom among draft experts since the end of the season has been the Bills would select the No. 1-rated defensive tackle, Oregon's Haloti Ngata, with their top choice.

However, Ngata does not look like a good fit for the new defensive system being adopted by Bills coach Dick Jauron. The Bills want all four of their defensive linemen to penetrate gaps in the offensive line. That's how the linemen play in Tampa, Indianapolis and Chicago, and the Bills' new system is going to be similar to the style employed by those teams.

Several scouts and personnel directors from around the league say Ngata is not a fit for the "Tampa Cover 2" style, because he is a 345-pound lineman whose strength is occupying two gaps on the line.

There is not another defensive tackle who merits a top-10 pick in the draft, according to most scouts.

. . . . . . .

The Bills signed defensive tackle Larry Tripplett from Indianapolis in free agency. He's a 285-pounder who will play opposite the outside shoulder of an offensive guard. The other defensive tackle in the Bills' new defense plays opposite the offensive center. Ideally, he will be a little heavier than Tripplett. But he still needs to penetrate the line.

Bills General Manager Marv Levy would not comment specifically on Ngata or other defensive-line prospects. But he acknowledged the "nose" tackle can't be solely a hole-plugger.

. . . . . .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Sam Adams a 1-gap demon who shaded off the Center and was quick enough to disrupt things in the opponent's backfield? Wasn't he also large enough to plug the A gap (between C and OG)?

Sam's biggest problem was staying disciplined, but from the descriptions given in this article of who we're looking for, it sounds like we let this player walk. :doh:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Sam Adams a 1-gap demon who shaded off the Center and was quick enough to disrupt things in the opponent's backfield?  Wasn't he also large enough to plug the A gap (between C and OG)? 

Sam's biggest problem was staying disciplined, but from the descriptions given in this article of who we're looking for, it sounds like we let this player walk.  :doh:

644524[/snapback]

Funny, but I didn't think that was going to be your conclusion. I liked Sam, when he was on - he was on; but he drove me crazy b/c he just didn't seem to work that hard most games. In the end, this new defense appears to rely on quick responses and assignments; that is, multi-dementional . That didn't seem to be Sam's forte, instead it was line up, get to the QB and let other people worry about the run and other assignments.

Moreover, Sam was making a lot of money and aging. Even if he played for less money I just didn't seem him around for the following season.

That's why I thought you were going to say we should get Brodrick Bunkley. Granted he's not a proven player like Sam, but he'll be much cheaper, younger and possibly much better than Sam would be by 2007.

Funny, but I didn't think that was going to be your conclusion.  I liked Sam, when he was on - he was on; but he drove me crazy b/c he just didn't seem to work that hard most games.  In the end, this new defense appears to rely on quick responses and assignments; that is, multi-dementional .  That didn't seem to be Sam's forte, instead it was line up, get to the QB and let other people worry about the run and other assignments.

Moreover, Sam was making a lot of money and aging.  Even if he played for less money I just didn't seem him around for the following season. 

That's why I thought you were going to say we should get Brodrick Bunkley.  Granted he's not a proven player like Sam, but he'll be much cheaper, younger and possibly much better than Sam would be by 2007.

644573[/snapback]

Concur ... Sam played last year and our run D was horrible. He does not bring it everyday and without Phat Pat he suffered greatly. I do not see other teams lining up to sign him either. That said, he is a talent, and he will be signed by someone eventually.

I find the article in the todays News to be a bit misleading ... How does anybody know what kind of player Ngata can be in this defense?

Guest BackInDaDay
Funny, but I didn't think that was going to be your conclusion.  I liked Sam, when he was on - he was on; but he drove me crazy b/c he just didn't seem to work that hard most games.  In the end, this new defense appears to rely on quick responses and assignments; that is, multi-dementional .  That didn't seem to be Sam's forte, instead it was line up, get to the QB and let other people worry about the run and other assignments.

Moreover, Sam was making a lot of money and aging.  Even if he played for less money I just didn't seem him around for the following season. 

That's why I thought you were going to say we should get Brodrick Bunkley.  Granted he's not a proven player like Sam, but he'll be much cheaper, younger and possibly much better than Sam would be by 2007.

644573[/snapback]

I could definately seeing us trade down for Bunkley, but I don't think we'd use the 8th overall on him.

I disagree about Sam Adams. He liked to shoot the gap and make plays in the backfield. I believe the source of his constant fueds with Gray and Mularkey last year was his undisciplined play.

Spikes was once interviewed for the NFL Network's 'Six Days to Sunday' series and he referred to the Bills' defensive scheme being based upon single gap responsibilities. This confirmed my understanding of how Gregg William's and Jerry Gray's were implementing their version of Buddy Ryan's 46 D in Buffalo. Constant pressure from the front-7 with the SS pulled up tight for an 8-in-the-box look. Obviously, we never saw the dominance that Ryan's D accomplished, but Williams seems to have regained his Titan's form in DC.

Anyway, Adams was signed because he could supply that kind of pressure. Granted that was a few years ago, but it seems he could have added to a solid DT rotation considering what Jauron wants. I thought they released Adams because they wanted a 2-gap DT to compliment Triplett/Anderson. I'm confused. :doh:

I can see it now. Wonder what our time of possession is going to look like with everyone running up the middle while we're whistling through those gaps. Those skinny defensive linemen should bone up on their neck exercises for swivelling their necks as the running backs zoom by them. :doh:

I can see it now.  Wonder what our time of possession is going to look like with everyone running up the middle while we're whistling through those gaps. Those skinny defensive linemen should bone up on their neck exercises for swivelling their necks as the running backs zoom by them.  :P

644631[/snapback]

Don't worry - Cover 2 seems to be on the horizon. :doh:

Guest BackInDaDay
I can see it now.  Wonder what our time of possession is going to look like with everyone running up the middle while we're whistling through those gaps. Those skinny defensive linemen should bone up on their neck exercises for swivelling their necks as the running backs zoom by them.  :doh:

644631[/snapback]

There's got to be something more to it, Tenn. Kiffin and Lovie are making it work in TB and Chicago, and it's originator Dungy (who credits Bud Carson) is finally getting the personnel in place to make it work for the Colts. I've got a feeling the whole scheme's dependent on LB speed and athleticism backing up a fierce front-4. I guess it's safe to say it's a work in progress.