Before a lemming mentality sets in, don't worry...

Look for the Bills to monitor cuts after June 1, where there has been a growing trend of available quality veterans cut just before the season. I believe Marv is and does need to be careful with the salary cap and the infusion of additional personnel. A big difference maker here will be how on top of the situation of other teams' structures he is aware of. Have you noticed how quickly he moved on a few chosen FAs? Some even appear that we paid too much for. I think that he has a very deliberate plan intact and that players like Royal and Tripplett are key components. We stand in a very good position in the early rounds of this year's draft. Here we will obtain some major building blocks. Once we conclude our selections in the draft, then it wouldn't be surprising to see Marv move rapidly after the June 1st cuts are made on aquiring a few more targeted ingredients that will round out our remaining needs. I see Marv being cost effective, patient, and strategic.

So if the people who are worried right now can just back away from the edge of the cliff for about 70 days then maybe, just maybe, your stress level can be reduced.

Look for the Bills to monitor cuts after June 1, where there has been a growing trend of available quality veterans cut just before the season. I believe Marv is and does need to be careful with the salary cap and the infusion of additional personnel. A big difference maker here will be how on top of the situation of other teams' structures he is aware of. Have you noticed how quickly he moved on a few chosen FAs? Some even appear that we paid too much for. I think that he has a very deliberate plan intact and that players like Royal and Tripplett are key components. We stand in a very good position in the early rounds of this year's draft. Here we will obtain some major building blocks. Once we conclude our selections in the draft, then it wouldn't be surprising to see Marv move rapidly after the June 1st cuts are made on aquiring a few more targeted ingredients that will round out our remaining needs. I see Marv being cost effective, patient, and strategic.

So if the people who are worried right now can just back away from the edge of the cliff for about 70 days then maybe, just maybe, your stress level can be reduced.

641901[/snapback]

I am not worried. I know it will take three darfts to build this team back. I don't want to hear about the new age of free agency and how quickly you can turn arround a team today. i team built for the long haul has to do it by the draft. Our team sorely lacks talent because Donhoe drafted poorly.

June 1st cuts almost never get you anything in the way of long term help. Marv never had much use for June first cuts. He basically thought the team you bring to camp is pretty much your team. I don't see that changing. However, since we are so weak on both lines, and since Marv does not like playing rookies, we just may pick up a few vets after Jun 1st. Just remember, these guys are on the scrap heap and that is no way to build for the long term.

I am not worried.  I know it will take three darfts to build this team back.  I don't want to hear about the new age of free agency and how quickly you can turn arround a team today.  i team built for the long haul has to do it by the draft.  Our team sorely lacks talent because Donhoe drafted poorly. 

June 1st cuts almost never get you anything in the way of long term help.  Marv  never had much use for June first cuts.  He basically thought the team you bring to camp is pretty much your team.  I don't see that changing.  However, since we are so weak on both lines, and since Marv does not like playing rookies, we just may pick up a few vets after Jun 1st.  Just remember, these guys are on the scrap heap and that is no way to build for the long term.

641940[/snapback]

Totally agree about building through the draft for the long haul. Everyone says you can get better overnight with free agency, but I think it is more the teams ahead of you getting worse because they lose players through free agency. Teams that draft well and keep the core of the team intact(by spending money on there own free agents) stay good for while. Like New England and Philly, while both have added some pieces through free agency and trades(NE-Dillion and Colvin Philly Kears and TO) they both draft very well and have players ready to step in when others go down. Both teams where good for about 5 years and could potentially be good again this year.

There are not going to be many June 1st cuts anymore because the new CBA has a provision that allows teams to release players now and still spread the salary cap hit over this year and next. In past years teams had to wait until June 1st to spread the hit out over 2 years. The players wanted this so potential free agents did not have to wait to find a new team.

:lol:

Mark my words 2007 we are active, 2006 not so active.

In another post I wrote that the reason, I feel, we are not over bidding on good and average players is because in 2007, when all other teams have blown their loads in 2006, we'll have the best cap situation. And then we'll be able to go out and collect the very best at more reasonable prices. It is the same reason that Moulds wants a new contract with another team, he knows that if we release him he'll make more money this year then if we wait a year to release him. We are also seeing something unheard of until now, where 40% and higher becomes the norm for the guaranteed portions of the contracts.

So we rebuild the best we can with the draft and role players. Allow them to show what they can and replace them if we don't like the way they perform, the free agency market will be better next year.

I hate to say this but it's a good plan, we won't like the 2006 results, and we will be frustrated, but in 2007 we will be contenders again. Not to say 2006 we couldn't be an under dog surprise