I don't understand the "we need to draft

one player away. The ONE good thing about this team is we should/can take the BEST player available. Saying we should take this guy or that at 8 is not going to make a difference...This team is NOT one player away and one player, a rookie, will NOT make a difference.

one player away.  The ONE good thing about this team is we should/can take the BEST player available.  Saying we should take this guy or that at 8 is not going to make a difference...This team is NOT one player away and one player, a rookie, will NOT make a difference.

641449[/snapback]

what if i say , we need to draft V. Davis because he will be the best player available at our spot on draft day...?

what if i say , we need to draft V. Davis because he will be the best player available at our spot on draft day...?

641459[/snapback]

Well isn't that what I said? It really doesn't matter who goes before we draft, we draft the best player available.

641459[/snapback]

That would be great. My concern is that we simply won't take the best player available in the first round. John Fina... Erik Flowers.... Jeff Burris.. different levels of success but taken way ahead of where they should have been. Will be holding my beath that we here either V. Davis, D. Ferguson, M. Williams, A.J. Hawk or W. Justice among others with the 8th pick in the first round. Just not the 20th best player with the 8th pick. Please Mr. Octogenerians don't Bunkley this pick !!

That would be great. My concern is that we simply won't take the best player available in the first round. John Fina... Erik Flowers.... Jeff Burris.. different levels of success but taken way ahead of where they should have been. Will be holding my beath that we here either V. Davis, D. Ferguson, M. Williams, A.J. Hawk or W. Justice among others with the 8th pick in the first round. Just not the 20th best player with the 8th pick. Please Mr. Octogenerians don't Bunkley this pick !!

641474[/snapback]

I agree with you on Bunkley, I'm terrified the Bills will blow it and draft this guy at #8. I have yet to see a reasonable argument for him aside from someone strangely dissing Haloti Ngata to prove Bunkley's worth. However, I'm not a big fan of Justice either...wasnt he suspended for an entire year in 2004?

Look at the roster. A Defensive Tackle will make a difference. A safety might make a difference. A tight end might make a difference. A quarterback will not make a difference. A linebacker will not make much difference. We need a Defensive Tackle and if we can't get that we need the best TE available or the best Safety available. I would also say we need an OT and an OG but I don't know of anyone of first round caliber who will be available. When you win the superbowl I suppose you can pick the best player available. When you are in our boat you pick the best player available who can help you now.

one player away.  The ONE good thing about this team is we should/can take the BEST player available.  Saying we should take this guy or that at 8 is not going to make a difference...This team is NOT one player away and one player, a rookie, will NOT make a difference.

641449[/snapback]

i dont think its that we feel we need to draft this great player so that we can go to the playoffs, i think of it has we better draft him so we have a better shot at not being the worst team in the league next year :blush:

I agree with you on Bunkley, I'm terrified the Bills will blow it and draft this guy at #8.  However, I'm not a big fan of Justice either...wasnt he suspended for an entire year in 2004?

641477[/snapback]

Absolutely and it could be true about a leopard not changing its spots. But was able to see all but 2 USC games this year and W. Justice was very good at blowing open holes and holding blocks until the whistle blew.He is very athletic and would immediately be one of the top two or three linemen on the roster. Background checks... Would hope a thorough background check would be done however. Thanks.

Davis will be gone by 8.

641482[/snapback]

That would remain to be seen. I'm okay with the idea that Bush, Leinart, Ferguson and probably Hawk won't be available that Williams probably won't be available. But I kind of see Davis and Huff as being available. Not that it would bother me if Davis weren't available. There are a whole bunch of very good tight ends in this draft. Tight End and Defensive Tackle seem to be very deep. That being said...Ngata is head and shoulders above the pack in the tight end department while Davis isn't all that much better than the next four or five tight ends, in my humble opinion.

Look at the roster.  A Defensive Tackle will make a difference.  A safety might make a difference.  A tight end might make a difference.  A quarterback will not make a difference. A linebacker will not make much difference.  We need a Defensive Tackle and if we can't get that we need the best TE available or the best Safety available.  I would also say we need an OT and an OG but I don't know of anyone of first round caliber who will be available. When you win the superbowl I suppose you can pick the best player available.  When you are in our boat you pick the best player available who can help you now.

641478[/snapback]

i believe teams try to have a complete team before draft day. if you "have" to draft one position, you are probubly not going to get the quality of player you could have gotten, especially if you have a top 10 pick. nothing ticks me off more on draft day then to see a team say "we need to pick a DE in the first round" when they have the number 20+ pick, and simply take the next avalible DE. you may need a DE, but by not even consitering the other players you are at a disadvantage.

you cant pass on a guy who you think will be a game changing player because you just signed an average 6 year vet to a 2 year contract who happens to play that same position.

game changing players are rare. so when you have a chance to draft them you should jump at it. the only problem is that identifying those players is dificult.

IMO davis looks to be a game changing TE similar to what shocky and gates are for the giants and chargers. Davis may turn out to be a bum, but he looks like he has the best chance to be a game changer (excluding the QBs).

That being said...Ngata is head and shoulders above the pack in the tight end department while Davis isn't all that much better than the next four or five tight ends, in my humble opinion.

641493[/snapback]

I think its the complete opposite, I don't see much of a difference between Ngata and the rest of the top DT in the draft where I think Davis is a few notches above the next available TE

I think its the complete opposite, I don't see much of a difference between Ngata and the rest of the top DT in the draft where I think Davis is a few notches above the next available TE

641536[/snapback]

Davis, Lewis, Pope, Fasano....Davis is the best but Lewis and Pope aren't far behind and in my opinion Pope would be the one best suited for the Bills (he is a great tight end and VERY good blocker.) Nice passel of tight ends to choose from.

So would we be happy with Ngata in the first and Lewis in the 2nd?  then with the remaining picks go Linemen and a safety or two

641593[/snapback]

I'd would be happy with Ngata in the first, The Deuce or Davin Joseph in the 2nd, then with our first 3rd, Whitner and with the second 3rd a RT Trueblood or Withworth.

Davis, Lewis, Pope, Fasano....Davis is the best but Lewis and Pope aren't far behind and in my opinion Pope would be the one best suited for the Bills (he is a great tight end and VERY good blocker.) Nice passel of tight ends to choose from.

641539[/snapback]

What would the Bills want with another blocking TE?

Davis is looking like he will be a top 10 pick (might not even make it to 8), Where are the rest of the TE's projected?

I don't think Ngata is that much better at DT then the others (thats why I don't have a problem with him being picked by Buffalo), But I don't think he is worth the #8 spot. I think for a #8 pick he is going to be a disapointment.

Obviously I'm not going to change anyone elses minds cause it seems to be the thinking on this board is that every pick Buffalo makes will be a lineman or Vince Young, Ralph is too old to function, Marv doesn't know what he's doing (and is too old), JP's a bust after 8 games, and We could have signed a bunch of big name FA's and still had room in the cap to fix everything else. Also Miami is going to win the division and the jets are head and shoulders above us.