To all who say 7 games isn't enough to judge JP

The scariest thing is I'm listening to WGR right now & Bulldog is basically saying everything I've said in this string about JP.

After reviewing Clumpy's page, I have to believe the Bills will not cut JP unless they view him as a locker room cancer because keeping him & his meager salary saves cap $. The salaries per Clumpy's page, if I have interpreted them correctly (I've added salary & other bonuses) Holcomb $1,325,000, Nall -$600,000, Losman $448,750. However, cutting JP after camp costs the same as keeping him & creates over $2.4 million dead space on next year's cap.

I think there is enough film on Nall from his regular season mop up games in 2004, his pre-season games and especially his NFLE games. Whatever the Bills saw, to be paying him more real $ than either Holcomb or Losman means he's here to compete for the starting job. Real $ 2006 salaries : Nall: $1,900,000 ($1,300,000 bonus + $600,000 salary); Holcomb $1,325,000; Losman $448,750. Incentives probably will increase Nall's salary if he's the starter.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would then be futbol.  :devil:

638117[/snapback]

No my Dear, it would be strong drinks with an umbrella in them with the rainforest to my back and the Pacific to my front. Might even have to twist one or two living down that way.

I wish someone would give me a signing bonus. One and a half mil, and it's off to Costa Rica. Football? What's football?

638110[/snapback]

I agree. Even at today's low interest rates, invest that and one could clear 40K cash, easy, in hand after taxes without ever having to lift a finger. Forever, without touching the capital.

I find this JP compassion on both sides to be funny. And I liken it to how we fans in general behave and form various factions.

There is always going to be a contingeny of fans who back every single decision that the front office makes. I remember living in DC several years ago -- and there were a number of fans that swore by Heath Shuler, even though he had never really done much of anything on the field. Then, after he left for New Orleans, these same fans said that the Redskins had no choice but to trade him because he never did anything on the field...

Then there is the next contingency of fans. We all know them... They are the contrarians that are NEVER happy with anything that the team does. ("Jim Kelly sucks!") Sometimes you question whether or not the person is really even a fan at all.

Then there's the rest of us that just wants the team to be the best that they can be. Sometimes we agree with the decisions made by the front office -- sometimes we do not.  I'm personally ambivalent about the JP situation because I do not think he's done enough to garner the kind of blind loyalty that some fans are heaping upon him. At the same time, I have not seen enough of him to say that he is a bust either. To say that he missed most of his rookie season with a broken leg -- and was the victim of horrendous coaching and a lousy offensive line last year is not an attempt to make excuses for him. Thus, if it were up to me, I'd like to see one more year out of him, where he is at least given a halfway decent chance to succeed. With that said, I am not privvy to what goes on in the locker room to see how other players feel about him -- nor do I know how much command he has in the huddle. If Marv honestly feels that the kid does not have the "it" factor and suspects that he never will, then I am inclined to agree with their decision to move on without him, if that is what they choose to do.

637724[/snapback]

Good post -

Online message boards have a way of polarizing these opinions for sure. It's similar to talk radio in that respect - even if you suspect you might be wrong you cannot budge an inch. I know. I was that guy - huge RJ supporter at the Sporting News and then the Range before coming here (though I still think Flutie sucked and sucks).

In my ~2 years here I think I've sort of been burried in the enourmous popularity that is this board even though I have 1700+ posts, but if anybody follows my stuff at all I hope they know I try to tackle each issue independantly and don't just argue for the sake of arguing. Some of the stuff about the old regime I liked, some of it I hated.

As for JP - I agree you have to give him a pass for the broken leg. That's about as far as I'm willing to go with it though.

The "poor playcalling" was not that poor and is by far the most overrated complaint of fans of every team everywhere IMO.

True, his line needs to get better; although based on the games I saw he was no more accurate when he actually had time. And it's not like every other QB since Kelly hasn't had the same protection problems.

FWIW, I have no problem giving him another year despite my reservations about him just because we're going nowhere anyway.

OK. Now I'm confused. Twist one or two whats?

1. strong drinks/umbrella

2. rainforest/Pacific

3. your back/front

:devil:

638131[/snapback]

A green leafy substance. Hear it grows well down that way. Goes well with tequila and dusky maidens.

Somehow I think the answer will be: But JP's had two years!  :devil:

Hell, ever since he was drafted I've been stating my expectation that the kid will be a bust.  And I STILL think this is a stupid topic.

638151[/snapback]

No I mean 1 or 2 years starting full time. 16 games per year. JP has only started 1/2 year so far.

The "poor playcalling" was not that poor and is by far the most overrated complaint of fans of every team everywhere IMO.   

One of the truisms of life, right after 90% of people think that they are above-average drivers is that 90% of football fans think that their playcalling is terrible.

Bills Fans, however, have to be the first who think that the playcalling was terrible for one QB but was just fine for the other QB.

That must be it.

JDG

One of the truisms of life, right after 90% of people think that they are above-average drivers is that 90% of football fans think that their playcalling is terrible.

Bills Fans, however, have to be the first who think that the playcalling was terrible for one QB but was just fine for the other QB.

That must be it.

JDG

638200[/snapback]

You're an idiot, and that's why we quit talking to you. Nobody ever said it was fine for one, but not for the other. The discussion was offensive line, and we don't listen to him either.

That must be it.

JDG

638200[/snapback]

So, in your opinion, the game plans (and plays called) in the games KH played were no different when JP played? From your careful viewing and analysis, you saw no difference?

You're an idiot, and that's why we quit talking to you. Nobody ever said it was fine for one, but not for the other. The discussion was offensive line, and we don't listen to him either.

638210[/snapback]

For someone who is apparently claiming that he intends to "quit talking to [me]" - you do have an interesting habit of being spectacularly wrong.... or did I just imagine the following post in an alternate-universe TBD?

They clearly gave Holcomb better play calls and game plans. It was obvious immediately, the first few games that Holcomb played.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=42252&st=60

JDG

So, in your opinion, the game plans (and plays called) in the games KH played were no different when JP played?  From your careful viewing and analysis, you saw no difference?

638240[/snapback]

I think there's a difference between "different" and "better." But no, I do not believe that the huge gap in performance last year between Losman and Holcomb can be explained by play-calling. I think that execution was a much larger explanatory factor, or in JP's case, the lack thereof.

JDG

I think there's a difference between "different" and "better."    But no, I do not believe that the huge gap in performance last year between Losman and Holcomb can be explained by play-calling.  I think that execution was a much larger explanatory factor, or in JP's case, the lack thereof.

JDG

638264[/snapback]

OK. I completely disagree with your assessment...but, at least I understand where you are coming from.

So, in your opinion, the game plans (and plays called) in the games KH played were no different when JP played?  From your careful viewing and analysis, you saw no difference?

638240[/snapback]

I don't understand what you're getting at.

Don't you think some of those differences were largely because of:

Different opponenets?

Different capabilities of the QB's?

The fact that one QB was better able to check off?

Opponent gameplanning different QB's differently?

Different QB's making different decisions as to where to throw the ball?

Or are you saying the coaches intentionally put JP in a position to fail? They purposely asked a rookie QB to do more than a 10 year veteran?