hmmm this should get interesting....

More than likley Bears will match Idonije. Aslo it looks like Cards want Wells, and say the price bills signed offer sheet to is not high enough to say no. The question is now, what do we do for these vacent holes??? Bring back DeVires and Niel for another visit/contact?????

thoughts???

We could just...sign Stephen Neal, which we honestly should have done last week.  Instant upgrade.  Give me him over Wells any day, hopefully losing out on Wells will give Marv a kick in the butt to sign Neal.

636634[/snapback]

How much do you think Neal would cost? Any signs that the Bills are interested in Neal?

Sign Neal and Runyan. Draft a guard or center in the second. You've instantly built a solid o-line.

Something like:

Peters - Neal -- Preston -- Villarrial/Gandy - Runyan

With Anderson, Jerman, Villarrial/Gandy, Geisinger, McFarland, and a rookie as the backups.

I would still love to see the Bills bring in Flanagan to help Preston along for another season.

that would be beautiful, bring in Neil, Runyan, and Flanagan. Never would happen though. You know what im wondering tho, maybe when Runyan gets back from his vacation bills will contact him, im sure theres alot of teams in the nfl who would like him but havent contacted him yet though, because of him being gone. That would be nice, and then like i said go get Neil and bring him back in and sign him this time!!! :lol:

We could just...sign Stephen Neal, which we honestly should have done last week.  Instant upgrade.  Give me him over Wells any day, hopefully losing out on Wells will give Marv a kick in the butt to sign Neal.

636634[/snapback]

I am new to TSW (obvious), but why is this board enamered with Stephen Neal and think he is better than Wells.

1. He is another cast off from NE (See Bledsoe, Milloy for info)

2. He is an undrafted player (doesn't mean much, ie Peters)

3. He didn't play a game last year. (See ESPN player log)

4. He didn't play a game last year backing up 3 young NE linemen.

I might have the wrong Neal, but if not can you give me some feedback on why you think this guy is good?

Good point, Ed Roch. They might just want out. However, methinks this is more likely true of a team going down the tubes compared to the team that wants you. I see the Bears and Cards as on the upswing, with the Bears ahead of us in that regard.

BTW, Ed, are you near training camp? I'm probably 5-8 minutes away.

I am new to TSW (obvious), but why is this board enamered with Stephen Neal and think he is better than Wells.

1.  He is another cast off from NE (See Bledsoe, Milloy for info)

2.  He is an undrafted player (doesn't mean much, ie Peters)

3.  He didn't play a game last year.  (See ESPN player log)

4.  He didn't play a game last year backing up 3 young NE linemen.

I might have the wrong Neal, but if not can you give me some feedback on why you think this guy is good?

636681[/snapback]

You apparently do have the wrong Neal, or another incorrect ESPN page. Stephen Neal has started the last 30 regular-season games, plus five playoff games (including Super Bowl XXXIX) at RG for the Patriots:

Patriots.com bio

1.  He is another cast off from NE (See Bledsoe, Milloy for info)

2.  He is an undrafted player (doesn't mean much, ie Peters)

3.  He didn't play a game last year.  (See ESPN player log)

4.  He didn't play a game last year backing up 3 young NE linemen.

636681[/snapback]

1. I wish people would stop doing this. Who cares if they came from a certain team. He's a good player as is bledsoe as is Milloy. Just cause Bledsoe didn't work out here, doesn't not make him a good player. Milloy is a also a good safety.

2. He didn't play football in college so that explains that. He was however a college championship Wrestler. He's quick and good in space, very good with his hands blocking people out of the hole, and quite able to pull something fat bennie isn't able to do.

3. Wrong. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/5862/

Year Team G GS

2002 N 2 1

2004 NE 16 14

2005 NE 16 16

Totals: 34 31

636634[/snapback]

Actually, I don't believe Marv's contingency plan is Neal. I think both Wells and Neal are part of the plan. I believe Marv wants both. They fit his mold - younger and stepping into their 2nd tiers of experience in the NFL. I think if all goes well, Neal and Wells will be in the red, white, and blue next year. Like it or not, if that happens, we will see both Bennie Anderson and Chris Villariel let go. Bennie for no other reason than he could teach a clinic on the finer points of a false start and Villariel for no other reason than age (33 when season starts) and salary cap ($1.5 million in savings if released, I believe). So, our 2006 starting offensive line would have Peters (or rookie) - Wells - Preston - Neal - rookie (or Peters). This would be a solid core to build around for the future.

I think the same can be said of DeVries and Idonije - they are both in the plan - one is not the contigency plan/signing for the other. Marv wants both. They would come in and back up Kelsay and Schobel, plus both would be solid additions to the special teams units. Another Marv requirement.

I think Israel Idonije is going to be signed with the mindset of the coaching staff of letting him compete with chris kelsay for the starting job, and someone who could also slide inside and play dt as well. He's a bit of a raw product, but given that Chris Kelsay has been nothing more then underwhelming Israel will get every chance to compete for that job. I like the posters above me feeling that Neal and Wells are in Marvs plan. To get both of them would be great. They're both young an athletic a complete 180 from our current 2 starting guards. I wouldn't miss villarrial or fat bennie one bit, and depth could be had through the draft. The interior of our oline is the weakest part of it and getting rid of bennie/teague/villarrial and replacing them with neal/draft pick/wells would be a big step in the right direction.

that would be beautiful, bring in Neil, Runyan, and Flanagan. Never would happen though. You know what im wondering tho, maybe when Runyan gets back from his vacation bills will contact him, im sure there's alot of teams in the nfl who would like him but havent contacted him yet though, because of him being gone. That would be nice, and then like i said go get Neil and bring him back in and sign him this time!!! :lol:

636664[/snapback]

Flanagan! Wow that's the same name as my gym coach. But seriously has he got any offers, from anyone, yet. He was the starter in GB, and we need quality center. The Bills should at least make a visit with him soon.