Which college has a better Meteorology program?

I beleive the best meteorology program in the country is Penn State and I am pretty sure Plymouth State is #2.  I have partied at Plymouth State many times- I hope you enjoy the cold- that place gets frigid!  I am a big fan of the weather too- cheers and good luck!

BTW meteorology has one of the higher drop out rates- the math load is intense.  Atmospheric physics is quite complicated.

635779[/snapback]

Well I'm already used to the cold since I live in the Albany area, so that won't be a problem. Also math won't be problem because Math is my best subject. :lol:

SUNY Albany, Lyndon State, Plymouth state, SUNY Maritime, Rutgers state?

I know they all have top notch programs but which on seems like the better one.  People say the Junior year is the year to start looking at colleges, so here I go.

635763[/snapback]

I would find out where the most weatherbabes go. I have a thing for weatherbabes. It would be an asset to go through life with someone that has the ability to be perky at the same time she is telling you that your golf round and vacation are ruined.

635929[/snapback]

I'd say FSU. We have one of the top meteorology programs in the country. Ask Rastabills, i believe he said he has more than a few FSU grads working at the NWS with him.

I cant guarantee weatherbabes, but this is FSU, so that should be eough said about the woman situation on campus. priorities man. Do you need a weather babe? Or would you be happy enough with the slew of 5'3 100 lb girls with D-cups that are education, english, and music majors?

I always thought Oswego was a good school for that. Just ask Al Roker

I know they all have top notch programs but which on seems like the better one.  People say the Junior year is the year to start looking at colleges, so here I go.

635763[/snapback]

635763[/snapback]

The Maritime College is closely allied with a naval career in the US Coast Guard. I would be proud of you if qualified to join them, son. Very much so.

The competition is pretty motivated. And it's an expensive area...if your parents can swing the cost. And don't...ever...whine if they can't...they've spent a lifetime wiping your fanny, hauling you to doctors, tucking you in, feeding you, putting clothes on your back, hugging you, etc. And if you know enough to not piddle on a unique opportunity, you could be a man who saves lives.

That's a pretty good thing...

Fly right. :lol:

And report back. Folks are interested.

The Maritime College is closely allied with a naval career in the US Coast Guard. I would be proud of you if qualified to join them, son. Very much so.

The competition is pretty motivated. And it's an expensive area...if your parents can swing the cost. And don't...ever...whine if they can't...they've spent a lifetime wiping your fanny, hauling you to doctors, tucking you in, feeding you, putting clothes on your back, hugging you, etc.  And if you know enough to not piddle on a unique opportunity, you could be a man who saves lives.

That's a pretty good thing...

Fly right. :lol:

And report back. Folks are interested.

636584[/snapback]

Damn, after reading this post, I stood up and saluted my monitor. Moving post there pal. :lol::lol:

Penn State. Penn State. Penn State.

One out of every four meteorologists in the country is a PSU graduate. You've heard of AccuWeather, I assume? Started by a PSU grad student and still headquartered in State College.

http://www.met.psu.edu/dept/undprog/

636670[/snapback]

I knew a lot of people who quit the meterology program at Penn State because its too hard. A couple actually ended up in what I got my degree in (civil and environmental engineering) after quitting meteo. GREAT GREAT GREAT program but quite difficult.

Whenever I hear a weatherman say partly cloudy with a 50% chance of rain, I can say, nice job Penn State. :lol:

636753[/snapback]

Meteorologist does not necessarily = "weatherman". WGRZ's Kevin O'Connell majored in Political Science. (For the record, both Mike Randall and Don Paul do have degrees in meteorology.)

Also, not everyone with the degree goes into radio/TV. PSU gets beaucoup research $$$ from the military. My friend who majored in meteorology was AFROTC, and I think was going to stay in until retirement. (Been a while since I talked to him last.)

P.S.: If you're in/near PA, you know damn well that "Weather World" is the ONLY decent weather broadcast to watch. Nice job Penn State, indeed.... :lol:

Meteorologist does not necessarily = "weatherman". WGRZ's Kevin O'Connell majored in Political Science. (For the record, both Mike Randall and Don Paul do have degrees in meteorology.)

Also, not everyone with the degree goes into radio/TV. PSU gets beaucoup research $$$ from the military. My friend who majored in meteorology was AFROTC, and I think was going to stay in until retirement. (Been a while since I talked to him last.)

P.S.: If you're in/near PA, you know damn well that "Weather World" is the ONLY decent weather broadcast to watch. Nice job Penn State, indeed.... :lol:

636789[/snapback]

We have Air Force meterologists working at the Agency. They do prediction modeling.

636789[/snapback]

Okay, Okay, before I get all of McKean County on me, Nice Job Penn State. :lol:

Whenever I hear a weatherman say partly cloudy with a 50% chance of rain, I can say, nice job Penn State. :lol:

636753[/snapback]

From what I've seen over the years on most occasions when they say that there will be a 60% chance of rain, I think what they meant to say was 60% no rain. It seems like the forecasts are the opposite from what was orginally predicted. I hope I can be more accurate in forecasting. :lol:

There are a lot of excellent meteorology programs to choose from. If you want to stay in the NE I would look strongly at Penn State. IMO they have one of the best undergraduate programs in the country.

I graduated from SUNY Oswego. In contrast to Penn State which has one of the larger programs, the progam there is small and you can a lot of face time with your profs/advsior etc. SUNY Albany has the advantage of both undergraduate and graduate programs and probabley is the best of the SUNY meteorology programs. Rutgers and Cornell also have solid programs. Lyndon State in Vermont has a reputation for graduating lots of broadcast meteorologists.

In the south I would look at FSU and NC State.

One word of advice. You better like math :lol: PM me if you would like more information.

FWIW I think Rich 'n' Joisey is a meteorologist as well. Good luck with your studies.