Simple Question(s)

Dan

... do we conclude that they'll be on the team come fall? In other words, if we sign someone today, can we still cut them this summer with no cap hit? Does that happen very often?

Depends on the term of the contracts.

Once you sign a player, it's just like they were already on your roster.

We would not be responsible for any salary hits, but would be stuck w/ any bonuses they were already paid out.

For instance, if Josh Reed really did sign a contract w/ a $2.5m bonus, his cap hit would be either $2.5m or optionally $1.25m if we cut him after June 1 and elected to carry the other $1.25m forward to next year.

If this really is the case (which I doubt for this very reason), it would be more costly to cut him than to keep him on the roster. (Assume he has a relatively minimal salary for this year like $500k, so his cap hit would only be $1.125m if he signed for 4 years if he remained on the team.)

Please note that the new CBA agreement may have changed how things work slightly, I don't know.

... do we conclude that they'll be on the team come fall?  In other words, if we sign someone today, can we still cut them this summer with no cap hit?  Does that happen very often?

634714[/snapback]

It happens, but not for the contracts we've been seeing. Usually guys are brought in for camp fodder or the off chance of depth, but they get minimum contracts with very small, if any, signing bonuses. So far the contracts I've seen have all been either long term or too high to be considered quick cuts.