If the Bills draft a QB at #8...

Ramius

Oh, I understand.  It just shows they have all the other pieces of that puzzle in place.  Because of that they could make the judgement that Maddox wasn't the answer.  So they inserted Ben and he made a difference...but, NOT by being a star.  But, by playing very well within the system.  And, even when he didn't play well, they had the team to compensate.

Had he played for the Bills, I'm sure we'd (at least many of us would) be calling for his head now.

632425[/snapback]

So the Steelers were 6-10 in 2003 because of the QB, and 15-1 in 2004 because their QB didn't suck? Sounds like its pretty important to make sure you have a QB that doesn't suck.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Steelers were 6-10 in 2003 because of the QB, and 15-1 in 2004 because their QB didn't suck?  Sounds like its pretty important to make sure you have a QB that doesn't suck.

632454[/snapback]

But the point is, you will NEVER know if your QB sucks if the rest of the team sucks. If we had Ben, the past year or two, I'm betting we'd be saying "he sucks". Fix the rest and let's see. My $ is on JP...if I'm wrong...well, we're a player away. If we spend the $ and draft positions on another QB (instead of using them on fixing the line, etc.), we'll be setting up THAT QB to fail.

But the point is, you will NEVER know if your QB sucks if the rest of the team sucks.  If we had Ben, the past year or two, I'm betting we'd be saying "he sucks".  Fix the rest and let's see.  My $ is on JP...if I'm wrong...well, we're a player away.  If we spend the $ and draft positions on another QB (instead of using them on fixing the line, etc.), we'll be setting up THAT QB to fail.

632559[/snapback]

Fair enough - I'll be a happy Bills fan if we are only 1 player short next offseason, no matter what he plays.

In my opinion the qb is so "pivotal" (sorry for the pun) that our offense might continue to look lost and we won't distinguish our 5-11 team last year with crappy talent from this year's talented 6-10 team that only needs a quarterback.

Are we going to give him 8 games before declaring him a bust like you did with Losman, or does he get the benefit of the doubt and get 9?

632311[/snapback]

It depends on how bad those 9 games are.......

Did you watch the Super Bowl?  Ben really took charge of that game..no?

632390[/snapback]

I watched the playoffs and saw Ben dominate - 3 games. Performing/ not performing in one game doesn't give you a clear picture success

JP has even looked good in a game before - clearly he not close yet

So, you still think that Cade McNown might be pretty good, eh?

JDG

632638[/snapback]

Who knows, for sure. But, I haven't seen enough of Cade to track his progress (or lack thereof).

I've seen enough of JP to know he's learning and getting better. I've seen nothing in his game that can't be improved or corrected with playing time, protection and support. I'm not just OK with giving JP his real shot...I'm excited about it. I think he has MAJOR skills and a great attitude.

Are we going to give him 8 games before declaring him a bust like you did with Losman, or does he get the benefit of the doubt and get 9?

632311[/snapback]

No; as long as he passes for at least 10% and has a qb rating over 20, then we keep starting him. Only when his contract is up do we evaluate him. You have to give him time to develop, and he can't do it on the bench!

sooooo........

If you give JP pass protection, 3 quality receivers, a running game, a quality tight end, and a coach that doesn't have is head up his own @ss.....he should succeed?

Tell me.....what QB in the NFL would not flourish given these circumstances? :D

lets draft a QB like SD did , then we will have 2 QBs , then in 2 years we can trade the one that gets hurt .

633120[/snapback]

the difference being SD had 2 good ones and right now we don't have any.

i'm not a fan of drafting a qb round 1, but some of you need to face facts with JPL

the difference being SD had 2 good ones and right now we don't have any.

i'm not a fan of drafting a qb round 1, but some of you need to face facts with JPL

633130[/snapback]

why did they draft rivers , because DB sucked . DB had 3 years and JP 8 games .

why did they draft rivers , because DB sucked . DB had 3 years and  JP 8 games .

633134[/snapback]

2002 San Diego Chargers 16 16 526 320 60.8 3284 6.24 52 17 16 24/180 40 4 76.9

brees stats 2002 - 3200 yards 76.9 rating

Although a down year in 03, clearly some potential

Lossman - has shown the potential to ride out the season on the bench due to injury or poor performance

Lossman - has shown the potential to ride out the season on the bench due to injury or poor performance

633158[/snapback]

so why did they draft rivers ( swap with NY )

633158[/snapback]

We do have to be pragmatic in our thinking however. Remember how EVERYONE like Drew Bledsoe when he came, but when he went it was - well it's Donahoes job to figure this out. So we see that the fickle crowd wants long term thinking, but win now.

I know a few football guys we'll call them. When they are asked about JP, let's just say there is more doubt than certainty. And while the jury is still out on JP and will be for the next 5-7 years (ask Todd Collins about that!) when all is said and done: it's more likely that JP will not be the man for us next year, than he will be. Just playing the numbers. IF that is so, we need a quarterback. And we need to spend this year developing a new one in order to be competitive in 2007 and winning in 2008. We have a rare chance this year. This kind of chance only comes around once every 10 years for a franchise. If we ever want to "win it all" we will do that with a superstar at either QB or RB or both. If we want to be good, we can get there with intelligent drafting, and consistently good FA pickups.

But if our objective is to bring home the trophy, we need a superlative QB. We have endlessly researched how you do this - draft, trade, Europe, etc. And while the secret to getting one remains just that, there is no question that pulling the trigger in the first 2 choices is an advantage that only a few teams get.

As it has been said on this board, we only get one of these picks. So picking up a tight end is cool, and may be reall fine with a successful JPL, but if the odds are against JPL being lighting in a bottle, the practical choice is a stud QB.

Now, I'm not sure I am in a position to evaluate just how good the Leinart, Cutler, Young crew is. Well, I know I'm not. BUT, if Marv, Tom and company pick a QB, I'm not going to puke in my Wheaties. I will see it for what it is. Lack of objective faith in the current QB roster, and a belief that the chosen one is truly lightning in a bottle.

I don't need to remind anyone, that JPL was not ANYONES favorite QB in his draft. Upon reflection what was said was, he's almost as good as anyone. But on gameday on Sunday, almost ain't good enough. We need the best. If we get a chance to get the best, we are well served by getting it in the last chance we may get for the next 6-10 years.

But if our objective is to bring home the trophy, we need a superlative QB.  We have endlessly researched how you do this - draft, trade, Europe, etc. And while the secret to getting one remains just that, there is no question that pulling the trigger in the first 2 choices is an advantage that only a few teams get.

As it has been said on this board, we only get one of these picks. So picking up a tight end is cool, and may be reall fine with a successful JPL, but if the odds are against JPL being lighting in a bottle, the practical choice is a stud QB.

Now, I'm not sure I am in a position to evaluate just how good the Leinart, Cutler, Young crew is. Well, I know I'm not. BUT, if Marv, Tom and company pick a QB, I'm not going to puke in my Wheaties. I will see it for what it is. Lack of objective faith in the current QB roster, and a belief that the chosen one is truly lightning in a bottle.

633221[/snapback]

I agree and if Marv/Modrak's assessment of JPL in the offseason is a negative one, then why wouldn't they draft a franchise QB to inagurate the new "regime"? He would be the cornerstone of this franchise and it would be someone that they brought in, not TD.

A lot of people think that we need to plug a few holes and magically we are a playoff caliber team. I'm not saying that it cant happen, but chances of it are highly unlikely. We are in rebuilding mode wether you want to accept it or not and with this year being deep at potential franchise QBs within the first 10 picks, I wouldn't mind drafting one at #8.

People can bank on the team tanking this year and ending up with a top 5 draft pick in next years draft and getting Brady Quinn, but c'mon.

But the point is, you will NEVER know if your QB sucks if the rest of the team sucks.

632559[/snapback]

I agree, Dean. In fact, I think that we should bring Rob Johnson back, to see what he could do behind a decent offensive line. The line he had to play behind was an absolute joke. How can we know that he was a bust if the guys around him weren't any good? :lol: