My problem with Huff, and the 8 slot.

makbeer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering if frogger means Anthony Smith from Syracuse.

629574[/snapback]

Smith is a nice player. I think he's a great cover guy, though he'll need to bulk up just a bit. He'd be another decent choice for a safety later in the draft.

My 2 cents on this:

I think it is fairly likely we'll trade down unless someone unexpectedly falls to us. I can definitely see a team wanting to get up to #8 for Vince Young or Vernon Davis. For a good team without a very good TE, Vernon could get them over the hump.

What a coup it would be to grab Hawk at #8 though. He has the potential to be one of those "face of the franchise" type players, like an Urlacher or Ray Lewis.

My 2 cents on this:

I think it is fairly likely we'll trade down unless someone unexpectedly falls to us.  I can definitely see a team wanting to get up to #8 for Vince Young or Vernon Davis.  For a good team without a very good TE, Vernon could get them over the hump. 

What a coup it would be to grab Hawk at #8 though.  He has the potential to be one of those "face of the franchise" type players, like an Urlacher or Ray Lewis.

629592[/snapback]

The hawk would be a steal for us,I just don`t see anyone passing him up before us.Dream on,Dream until your dream`s come true

Quite simply I think this guy is a reach at #8. He's got talent, and he's a ball hawk - but he's not that typical SS that can help with run support in the trenches.

If you watch his college tape he does a LOT of arm tackling - at 208 LBs you're not going to successfuly arm tackle many NFL players.

I think he might even project more to a NFL FS than a SS, given his lack of size - he's also a natural cover safety, which is a role normally provided more to the FS.

Sure in our supposed cover 2 scheme we're switching to, having a SS with cover skills would fit - but if you thought a 1-armed Milloy missed some tackles in the run game, wait til you watch Huff try and bring his college tackling style to the NFL.

The real problem is he might be the only legitimate need pick available when #8 comes up on the board - Da Brick will be gone, Mario will be gone, Hawk will be gone and if we sign Pickett we have no need to draft Ngata.

I think Davis is a bit of a bad pick as well, considering we invested a 3rd in Kevin Everett last season and he's projected as a receiving TE and hasn't had a chance to develop. Not to mention dropping a #8 pick on a TE. There are no WRs worth a #8 pick, either.

After Brick none of the OL are worth #8 (maybe 1, more on that later), we don't need a RB and we won't draft a QB even though if Cutler or Leinart were still on the board I'd want them over JP. So where does that leave us?

It's almost as if Huff will fall in to our laps as a pick out of necessity, and honestly as a NFL SS, I'm basically as excited about Greg Blue from UGA than I am about Huff - and Blue can be had in late round 2, early round 3.

I guess you could say I'm a bit frustrated with the #8 hole right now, not quite high enough to get the guys I -really- want (Mario or D'brick) and too low to be worth picking out of need.

Personally I hope we trade up to get Brick, but I doubt it. Don't get me wrong, I think Huff will be a player in this league, I just see him as a bit overrated as a SS and I question his ability to handle the physical aspects of the position.

As a bit of a throw-it-out-there idea, the two players that intrigue me other than Huff, since he's a reach anyway (imho) is Mathias Kiwanuka - the guy is a pure pass rusher, something that would be really nice to have in our division, but I see him as a mid round pick, not top 10. Another dark horse candidate at #8 could be Winston Justice from USC, he's been rising a bit and I'm hearing rumblings he could be at a top 10 pick level and is easily the 2nd best OL in the draft behind Brick.

Thoughts?

629249[/snapback]

I mostly agree, other than the QB stuff.

What do you think of Jimmy Williams? I think I like him better than Huff. He can play CB and safety...but is probably a better CB than Huff. People keep saying he's "trouble"...but, with no substantiation. He had the incident in the bowl game...that seems to be it. Someone mentioned he had run-ins with the law (no details)...but, I have found NO mentions of that anywhere.

I mostly agree, other than the QB stuff.

What do you think of Jimmy Williams?  I think I like him better than Huff.  He can play CB and safety...but is probably a better CB than Huff.  People keep saying he's "trouble"...but, with no substantiation.  He had the incident in the bowl game...that seems to be it.  Someone mentioned he had run-ins with the law (no details)...but, I have found NO mentions of that anywhere.

629606[/snapback]

I don't recall any specifics but I do remember a scout recently saying "He has a million dollar body with a ten cent head" FWIW.

I don't recall any specifics but I do remember a scout recently saying "He has a million dollar body with a ten cent head" FWIW.

629621[/snapback]

That sucks. I just wish there was SOME evidence. Obviously, if he's a problem I don't want him on the Bills. But, so far the rumors have been totally w/o any backing.

I think he'll be a good player but at 8 I feel like we could be getting a difference maker in the trenches where games are won and lost on a consistent basis. We have playmakers in the secondary already imho.

You're right about the cover 2 with safeties back, but they still do support the run. Tampa Bay with their great defense, which was classic cover 2, used John Lynch as a SS remember, and he's not a good cover guy at all - but he dominated in the run game and intimidation. Huff won't intimidate imho.

629468[/snapback]

we have playmakers in the secondary? who would they be? nate's 2 picks? troy's 3? i dont know, i dont feel comfortable with coy wire and vincent as our safeties, especially since coy now has to cover and cant creep up on the line.

we have playmakers in the secondary? who would they be? nate's 2 picks? troy's 3? i dont know, i dont feel comfortable with coy wire and vincent as our safeties, especially since coy now has to cover and cant creep up on the line.

629641[/snapback]

Vincent had some nice plays in coverage, but Nate and McGee are definite playmakers even if Nate didn't have a stellar year.

I`m with ya Except da brick. He got pushed around some in the senior bowl.

629726[/snapback]

Carson Palmer threw a pick in his senior bowl............I guess he's going to end up sucking to. :doh:

The Bills should hang on to the #8 and see how the first picks play out.  If Mario, Brick, and Hawk are all gone, then I absolutely would trade down.  Anything else would be a reach.  The key to drafts is getting steals (Brick or Hawk would be steals for us), and not reaching (Huff, Davis, etc.).

629555[/snapback]

I think we're in a good spot at #8. I like the possiblity of trading down to get an extra second or maybe the chance of Hawk or even Ferguson falling to us. If we wanted Mario Williams, we would have to trade up.

Quite simply I think this guy is a reach at #8. He's got talent, and he's a ball hawk - but he's not that typical SS that can help with run support in the trenches.

If you watch his college tape he does a LOT of arm tackling - at 208 LBs you're not going to successfuly arm tackle many NFL players.

I think he might even project more to a NFL FS than a SS, given his lack of size - he's also a natural cover safety, which is a role normally provided more to the FS.

Sure in our supposed cover 2 scheme we're switching to, having a SS with cover skills would fit - but if you thought a 1-armed Milloy missed some tackles in the run game, wait til you watch Huff try and bring his college tackling style to the NFL.

The real problem is he might be the only legitimate need pick available when #8 comes up on the board - Da Brick will be gone, Mario will be gone, Hawk will be gone and if we sign Pickett we have no need to draft Ngata.

I think Davis is a bit of a bad pick as well, considering we invested a 3rd in Kevin Everett last season and he's projected as a receiving TE and hasn't had a chance to develop. Not to mention dropping a #8 pick on a TE. There are no WRs worth a #8 pick, either.

After Brick none of the OL are worth #8 (maybe 1, more on that later), we don't need a RB and we won't draft a QB even though if Cutler or Leinart were still on the board I'd want them over JP. So where does that leave us?

It's almost as if Huff will fall in to our laps as a pick out of necessity, and honestly as a NFL SS, I'm basically as excited about Greg Blue from UGA than I am about Huff - and Blue can be had in late round 2, early round 3.

I guess you could say I'm a bit frustrated with the #8 hole right now, not quite high enough to get the guys I -really- want (Mario or D'brick) and too low to be worth picking out of need.

Personally I hope we trade up to get Brick, but I doubt it. Don't get me wrong, I think Huff will be a player in this league, I just see him as a bit overrated as a SS and I question his ability to handle the physical aspects of the position.

As a bit of a throw-it-out-there idea, the two players that intrigue me other than Huff, since he's a reach anyway (imho) is Mathias Kiwanuka - the guy is a pure pass rusher, something that would be really nice to have in our division, but I see him as a mid round pick, not top 10. Another dark horse candidate at #8 could be Winston Justice from USC, he's been rising a bit and I'm hearing rumblings he could be at a top 10 pick level and is easily the 2nd best OL in the draft behind Brick.

Thoughts?

629249[/snapback]

Hey ya Mak, first time I see ya posting here.

Sit back and enjoy the show of retards that inhabit twobillsdrive. :doh:

can i get the Cliffnotes version of that message

629471[/snapback]

The Dean will raise all the children, while Bobafonte has a MAKBEER... where is his stud left tackle... where have alll the lineman goooonnnneee??? yippeee oooo yipppeee aaaayyy

Hey ya Mak, first time I see ya posting here.

Sit back and enjoy the show of retards that inhabit twobillsdrive. :doh:

630695[/snapback]

LOL hey bro, yeah I finally got sick of the forums on buffalobills.com those people are insane.

LOL hey bro, yeah I finally got sick of the forums on buffalobills.com those people are insane.

630776[/snapback]

Its better here for sure. But there are some people that still floor me. You will see. You can't escape all the clowns in this world.

My 2 cents on this:

I think it is fairly likely we'll trade down unless someone unexpectedly falls to us.  I can definitely see a team wanting to get up to #8 for Vince Young or Vernon Davis.  For a good team without a very good TE, Vernon could get them over the hump. 

What a coup it would be to grab Hawk at #8 though.  He has the potential to be one of those "face of the franchise" type players, like an Urlacher or Ray Lewis.

629592[/snapback]

I like your 2 cents.

Here is another key:  If Mario, Brick, Hawk, and Davis are gone...what team will WANT to trade up with Buffalo?  Maybe in another good case scenario for Buffalo...if one of these players happens to slip to 8, the Bills can also field offers from other teams and STILL move down and get more picks etc to have an even better, deeper draft to fill the many needs this team has.

629566[/snapback]

If Mario, Brick, Hawk, and Davis are all gone (and Bush and Leinart), it means Cutler or Young is still available. That means trade down to a team who wants that guy more than we do. I really hope all three QBs are gone, because that ensures us quality at #8. I don't think Huff is good enough, but I would probably rather see him than Ngata at that pick, and I think most other players might be a stretch. I hope we try to get the best players we can out of this draft from a five year contribution perspective, and I hope we keep that philosophy at #8, trading up or down if needed.