Fullbacks in 2006 Draft

Here's a few names to check out and keep an eye on:

Matt Bernstein

FB | (6'0", 267, 4.91) | WISCONSIN

Lack of speed might be an issue, but he's a tough runner and a solid pass blocker

Lawrence Vickers

FB | (6'0", 233, 4.76) | COLORADO

Lacks ideal size, but has the frame to add another 15 lbs. Good pass catcher

JD Runnels

FB | (5'11", 237, 4.65) | OKLAHOMA

Same deal as Vickers

Rashon Powers-Neal

FB | (6'2", 236, 4.8) | NOTRE DAME

Little slow, not a great receiver, but a good tweener back

Shawn Willis

FB | (6'1", 276, 4.75) | OKLAHOMA STATE

Ok size and speed, not much of a receiver...Carwell Gardner-esque

Steven Jackson

FB | (6'0", 255, 4.6) | CLEMSON

no scouting report available, but can't be too overwhelming because clemson doesnt use FB very often in their offense

Brandon Jones

FB | (5'10", 240, 4.65) | PURDUE

Great short yardage guy, ok hands. Lacks elusiveness as a runner and isnt a big play threat out of the backfield as a receiver. However, i think he might just be what we are looking for in a 7th rd pick or udfa

Chad Henley

FB | (6'1", 250, 4.65) | NEVADA LAS VEGAS

no scouting report available

Derrick Ross

RB | (5'10", 242, 4.66) | TARLETON STATE (Div 2)

Unpolished, good UDFA, possible diamond in the rough. Not the brightest guy in the world, probably why he's D2. Might not stand up to NFL caliber players. Worth a look in camp

I'll be digging deeper when I get back from Curacao on the 12th. Its about that time of year that I become completely obessed with the draft and FA

Did some more digging and watched a couple of these guys workout at the combine here's what I think now.

Matt Bernstein looks to be another Cory Schlesinger, take that as you will. I saw a guy who can pick up tough short yards and is constantly improving as a pass blocker. He can run block like its no one business and his hands aren't quite as bad as some scouts might lead you to believe. Would thrive in a 2 back set offense as a lead blocker.

Lawrence Vickers could very well be another Larry Centers...outstanding receiver out of the back field and a solid inside runner. Only thing that is a concern is his lack of true size and his one on one blocking skills.

JD Runnels wasnt used much in Oklahomas system and also appears to have caught a case of the dropsies. Still had a solid combine and is good a creating space. Also said to be quite the high character athlete to be a leader on and off the field.

Rashon Powers-Neal has improved his 40 time to 4.61 since the last posting. Looked better as a receiver and has shown to be a solid runner, can also pick up the blitz well. However, he still looks like a tweener back and might not catch on as a starter at either position in the NFL. Prime NFL Europe candidate

No new news for Shaun Willis, Steven Jackson, Brandon Jones, Chad Henley

Derrick Ross improved his 40 time at the combine to 4.52, wasnt overly impressed by the rest of his workout...proved to me why he was a D2 RB.

One new find since the last post and might be right up our alley.

Garrett Mills of Tulsa has really surprised a lot of scouts as well as myself. Could really be the next Chris Cooley. 6'1" 241lbs ran the 40 in 4.64 and excelled to the top 2 in many of the TE categories except vertical leap. Has great hands and is a threat as a receiver. Decent runner inside and is good as creating space as a blocker. Played TE and FB for Tulsa and while he might lack size a fulltime tight end in the NFL FB or H-back might be his best bet. Definately worth a late second day pick in my opinion.

Thanks for starting a thread on this. As I said on the college board, we really should be looking to draft a FB this year, as this is probably one of the better crops in a while and for a while. Add in that Shelton is 33(?) and didn't impress me too much last year.

If Marv/Jauron are going to commit to the running game rather than just say he will like the past two regimes, he needs to fully commit. Time to get back to Buffalo Bills-style football, if you ask me. Which might mean using one of the early 3rds on a guy like Bernstein. It'd be nice to wrap this position up for the next 8 years and not have to worry about it. As it stands, we've been bringing in these small-school project FBs and depending on hybrids like Neufeld.

Lots of people here on TBD who don't appreciate the FB. He is AS important or MORE important than any offensive lineman.

Thanks for the research. Bernstein sounds like a get, assuming he is around in the third or fourth round. Pass and run blocking is what we should be looking for and he sounds like what we need. If we want receivers, we can always get us a tight end or another WR. If we need runners, we can give the ball to Willis. A blocking fullback can make JP and Willis look very good. Hadn't given fullback much thought. Thanks for bringing it up.

I watched Bernstein a lot the past few years. The guy rushed for over a 100 when all there backs were down a year ago. He is a beast. I mean better than Alstott as far as running power. I would not mind at all if we gave up a third for him.

Goldsberry looked amazing in camp last year, when I was writing those camp reports he was the one guy who consistently amazed me with his power and blocking skills. Could also catch out of the backfield REALLY well. Obviously was still raw, but I saw starting potential in him.

I'd hate to give up on the guy after one season.

I've got nothing against Goldsberry, I thought he did a tremendous job last preseason. This thread was basically to inform about the FBs in this upcoming draft.

that said, Goldsberry didnt even get on the roster until december 30 this year so I can't see handing him the job this year because of a good preseason the year before. Plus he was a UDFA, so even if we did grab a fullback this year to compete in camp it's not like we wasted a draft pick on him.

I think too many teams really overlook what a quality fullback can bring to their team. Certain FBs can be a change of pace back while your star HB is on the field, giving the defense one more thing they have to watch for. Others can be an underneath receiver which can help spread the defense thin on pass defense opening up more big plays, while others can be like a mobile lineman in the backfield, picking up the trash that slips by the main lineman.

shelton has out played his usefulness and a 33 is become less and less effective and I wouldnt mind seeing Buffalo pick up a replacement for him late in this draft...lets say 4th or 5th round, or later depending on who is still available.

Berstein is great but we can probably get him in the 6th..which would be sweet.  He's got a cool nickname too...."The Hebrew Hammer"

629081[/snapback]

Wasn't that a poorly made comedy movie?

Wasn't that a poorly made comedy movie?

629233[/snapback]

Yes...terrible and really funny at the same time. Interesting if you're an Adam Goldberg fan (are there any of those?):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317640/

Thanks for the FB list and thread. I've been beating the "we need a FB" drum for a while here. I want a throw-back: Big blocking mofo who can pick up a tough yard w/regularity and, maybe, catch the occasional screen pass. Bernstein (bear?) sounds interesting.

Thanks for the FB list and thread.  I've been beating the "we need a FB" drum for a while here.  I want a throw-back:  Big blocking mofo who can pick up a tough yard w/regularity and, maybe, catch the occasional screen pass.  Bernstein (bear?) sounds interesting.

629626[/snapback]

Oh, to return to those days where on a 3rd and goal from the 1, the opponent can know we're going to run, and we still run and put up 6 points. The heady days of Carwell Gardner and Sam Gash blowing holes and smashing LBs.

What we've had at FB for the past several years is pathetic for a cold-weather, run first, especially-in-December-when-it-counts team. Which is another plus about Bernstein.... he's outta friggin' Wisconsin.

STL, you've gotta be kidding if you think he's still going to be there in the 6th. Even the low 3rd is a maybe.

Oh, to return to those days where on a 3rd and goal from the 1, the opponent can know we're going to run, and we still run and put up 6 points. The heady days of Carwell Gardner and Sam Gash blowing holes and smashing LBs.

What we've had at FB for the past several years is pathetic for a cold-weather, run first, especially-in-December-when-it-counts team. Which is another plus about Bernstein.... he's outta friggin' Wisconsin.

STL, you've gotta be kidding if you think he's still going to be there in the 6th. Even the low 3rd is a maybe.

629764[/snapback]

Amen, I would love to see that again. Can't be a power running team without someone knocking the linebackers on their asses...and Shelton and Burns just cant git-r-done.

Goldsberry has all the tools and size and has better speed than any listed above, he played in every preseason game for most of the game :doh: and did quite well as a rookie. I not against picking up another fullback as a backup but none of the above are good enough to pass him up. We could actually let Shelton go and pick up another fullback and have 2 for the price of 1. He is up in the years and frankly did nothing outstanding last season, it's time to make the move and let the young stud play. Goldsberry would also contribute to the special teams more than Shelton does. ENOUGH SAID

Goldsberry has all the tools and size and has better speed than any listed above, he played in every preseason game for most of the game :)  and did quite well as a rookie. I not against picking up another fullback as a backup but none of the above are good enough to pass him up. We could actually let Shelton go and pick up another fullback and have 2 for the price of 1. He is up in the years and frankly did nothing outstanding last season, it's time to make the move and let the young stud play. Goldsberry would also contribute to the special teams more than Shelton does. ENOUGH SAID

630383[/snapback]

I think you might be giving Goldsberry a little too much credit at this point...but I do agree with you 100% that its time to let Shelton out to pasture and let the young studs roam the backfield. I think the best plan right now is to hold on to Shelton to see what we can pickup either in the draft or soon after then let him go on his merry way.

Does anyone now how big of a role the Fullback will play in our new offensive system, I feel with the line being so poor maybe we should play a two tight end set, and maybe that is why we went after Royals because that is what Washington plays. That made the Hogs so good in the late 80s early 90s.

Unfortunately, I've not seen what Jauron intends to do with the offense on this team so I can't say for sure. If we were to use a 2TE set that would pretty much rule any use for a FB, except in short yardage situations making a bruiser like Bernstein worthwhile. However, if they could pick up an H-Back that can play the position well, that could be pretty effective giving us more options in a 2back set and the ability to motion into a 2TE set.