L.J. Sheton to the Fins

Lurker

L.J. Shelton, left tackle from Cleveland.

They seem pretty busy signing players for supposedly being in cap trouble. They'll add Brees in the next couple of days I'd bet. Cant see him signing with N.O. unless they just throw insane amounts of money at him.

Never saw his name bantered around here much. Would have thought maybe he would have gotten a look see with the obvious needs at OL.

I agree...mo money mo money mo money. Heard an interesting perspective this AM on NFL radio. Guy who was a former GM, said that you'll notice the best managed teams (colts, pats, steelers, etc) are NOT signing any players right now. He said u don't win the superbowl in march, and guys like polian said they will wait a couple of weeks for the madness to cool off. Said a number of teams are way overspending for average players -- which will lead them to problems down the road. The Bannon signing, and this signing of shelton is in that category.

Bills probably overpaid for Royal, but not terribly so...tripplett and davis were reasonable.

I agree...mo money mo money mo money.  Heard an interesting perspective this AM on NFL radio.  Guy who was a former GM, said that you'll notice the best managed teams (colts, pats, steelers, etc) are NOT signing any players right now.  He said u don't win the superbowl in march, and guys like polian said they will wait a couple of weeks for the madness to cool off.  Said a number of teams are way overspending for average players -- which will lead them to problems down the road.  The Bannon signing, and this signing of shelton is in that category.

Bills probably overpaid for Royal, but not terribly so...tripplett and davis were reasonable.

627154[/snapback]

FWIW, Pat Kirwan on NFL Radio was ripping the Bills for the deal they gave a player like Royals.

FWIW, Pat Kirwan on NFL Radio was ripping the Bills for the deal they gave a player like Royals.

627313[/snapback]

ooooooooh! :)

If he can block better than Campbell its an upgrade. If he can't, his dead cap in '07 would be like $2 million which would not be a major hit.

L.J. Shelton, left tackle from Cleveland.

They seem pretty busy signing players for supposedly being in cap trouble. They'll add Brees in the next couple of days I'd bet. Cant see him signing with N.O. unless they just throw insane amounts of money at him.

Never saw his name bantered around here much. Would have thought maybe he would have gotten a look see with the obvious needs at OL.

626959[/snapback]

This might sound crazy but I think Brees going to Miami helps us at least in the short term because N.O. would then have to take a QB with there pick and help one of the other players fall to Buffalo(Davis, Williams, or Ferguson), and although Brees had good numbers the last few years, I still feel he is a system QB. I would much rather face Brees twice a year then Culpepper anyway

Guest BackInDaDay
This might sound crazy but I think Brees going to Miami helps us at least in the short term because N.O. would then have to take a QB with there pick and help one of the other players fall to Buffalo(Davis, Williams, or Ferguson), and although Brees had good numbers the last few years, I still feel he is a system QB. I would much rather face Brees twice a year then Culpepper anyway

627344[/snapback]

Agree. Especially 'bout facing Culpepper. I can still see Randall Cunningham ducking under Bruce to avoid a safety, and then completing a huge pass.

Schobel can sack Brees, he might get hurt if he hits Culpepper. :)

627344[/snapback]

I like you mattb74. Of all 6 of your posts, 5 of them have been enjoyable. And for that, you get a pirate ====> :)

this the same waste of flesh that the Cardinals tried passing to the Bills for Travis?

and no one else was willing to trade for, or make an offer to when he got cut?

Good grief! I am thrilled that the Fish used any of their cap space to sign this backup.

this the same waste of flesh that the Cardinals tried passing to the Bills for Travis?

and no one else was willing to trade for, or make an offer to when he got cut?

Good grief!  I am thrilled that the Fish used any of their cap space to sign this backup.

627549[/snapback]

Really, people around here obviously have short memories. He didn't do that great of a job as Brown, and I suspect he won't do that great of a job as a stinkin' fish. I am happy they gave all that dough to this guy.

I like you mattb74. Of all 6 of your posts, 5 of them have been enjoyable. And for that, you get a pirate ====> :)

627547[/snapback]

appreciate the compliment. Actually I get on here and post about this time of year, every year. I stop posting during the season because I try to be an optimist, and the way the Bills have played the last few years makes me remember what my moma told me about if you cant say something nice. Anyway when I come back to post I can never remember my sign in name because it has been so long so I just create a new account. I have to say that this is a very good and exciting place to post. Buffalo Fans are truly the best and most knowledgeable in all of sports.

Hey DCM, we had this discussion about Shelton LAST year, in case you missed it. About the only one who wanted him was VA, and Shelton proved to be little better than Gandy was. And looking at his stats versus McIntosh's last year, it looks like a downgrade, especially since Shelton is an unmotivated player by nature.

As for Brees, he's an unknown like Culpepper is. For both it's "buyer beware." And Culpepper didn't look so hot BEFORE he got injured last year.

Hey DCM, we had this discussion about Shelton LAST year, in case you missed it.  About the only one who wanted him was VA, and Shelton proved to be little better than Gandy was.  And looking at his stats versus McIntosh's last year, it looks like a downgrade, especially since Shelton is an unmotivated player by nature.

As for Brees, he's an unknown like Culpepper is.  For both it's "buyer beware."  And Culpepper didn't look so hot BEFORE he got injured last year.

627839[/snapback]

So you think yourself and those others who discussed Shelton last year might know more about offensive lineman than Hudson Houck? Because it seems to me that is what you are implying.....I'm gonna go with the guy who is regarded as one of the very best O-Line coaches in the NFL on this one....

As for Brees or Culpepper.....as much as a buyer beware factor is present....I have to like either one of these former pro bowlers over anyone else that is available to the Fins at present time. I'm hoping to get either player and be able to keep Frerrotte as insurance IF he is willing to take a paycut.

Hey DCM, we had this discussion about Shelton LAST year, in case you missed it.  About the only one who wanted him was VA, and Shelton proved to be little better than Gandy was.  And looking at his stats versus McIntosh's last year, it looks like a downgrade, especially since Shelton is an unmotivated player by nature.

As for Brees, he's an unknown like Culpepper is.  For both it's "buyer beware."  And Culpepper didn't look so hot BEFORE he got injured last year.

627839[/snapback]

Not sure where you got the sack numbers from but if it is the same place that had the stats showing Teague only gave up one half of a sack last year, they they lie.