What should the Bills do?

Gambler

I'd trade down.

626191[/snapback]

With who? i think the consensus among the "thinking" posters is to trade down. but, you have to have a willing partner who will give you fair value. So, my position remains: I'd TRY to trade down.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pass,pass and pass.No way in hell should we spend another 1st round pick on a qb this year,no matter who it is.I'd love for them to be able to trade down a bit and pick up another 2nd rounder...which could easily happen if either of the big two starts to drop.I think Cutler will be there after the Bills pick..

3 things:

1.) we NEED line help.

2.) Losman needs more than 8 games to prove himself, I mean come on people look at the shity team he had around him all season GIVE HIM A CHANCE!...maybe he will suck but still give him at least a shot.

3.) the last thing we should do is draft an Olinemen, hardly any first round linemen succeed in the NFL, we need to draft a huge run stuffing DT in this era of the NFL I have noticed alot of success in these rookie DT's and I think anyone would be an improvement for the Bills.

we should address Oline in FA, get some proven veterens to anchor this line, I dont mean pro-bowl linemen just some vets that can go in there and get the job done.

This is a stupid thread question to begin with, let me start off by saying that.

How many years will it take for some of you to realize that the draft is a crap shoot, and the majority of the players drafted in the first round end up being mediocre or bust. Year after year people sit here and talk about "how great this years draft class is".

The perfect example is the "Year of the Quarterback" in 1999. That was supposed to be the best draft if you were looking for a QB, because "all of those prospects were going to have success in the NFL". Let's recap. The only decent quarterback that year was Donovan McNabb and with the absence of Terrell Owens, his credibility as a player has been highly questioned. The rest of the bums in that draft are screwing in lightbulbs with Rob Johnson and Ryan Leaf.

The Top 10 picks in the last few drafts have been overall mediocre. Yes there are a few people that have had success, but there are many that are considered bust.

1 Cleveland Tim Couch QB Kentucky

2 Philadelphia Donovan McNabb QB Syracuse

3 Cincinnati Akili Smith QB Oregon

4 Indianapolis Edgerrin James RB Miami

5 New Orleans Ricky Williams RB Texas

6 St. Louis Torry Holt WR North Carolina State

7 Washington Champ Bailey CB Georgia

8 Arizona David Boston WR Ohio State

9 Detroit Chris Claiborne OLB Southern California

10 Baltimore Chris McAlister CB Arizona

1 Cleveland Courtney,Browns DE Penn State

2 Washington LaVar Arrington OLB Penn State

3 Washington Chris Samuels T Alabama

4 Cincinnati Peter Warrick WR Florida State

5 Baltimore Jamal Lewis RB Tennessee

6 Philadelphia Corey Simon DT Florida State

7 Arizona Thomas Jones RB Virginia

8 Pittsburgh Plaxico Burress WR Michigan State

9 Chicago Brian Urlacher MLB New Mexico

10 Baltimore Travis Taylor WR Florida

1 Atlanta Michael Vick QB Virginia Tech

2 Arizona Leonard Davis T Texas

3 Cleveland Gerard Warren DT Florida

4 Cincinnati Justin Smith DE Missouri

5 San Diego LaDainian Tomlinson RB Texas Christian

6 New England Richard Seymour DE Georgia

7 San Francisco Andre Carter DE California

8 Chicago David Terrell WR Michigan

9 Seattle Koren Robinson WR North Carolina State

10 Green Bay Jamal Reynolds DE Florida State

1 Houston David Carr QB Fresno State

2 Carolina Julius Peppers DE North Carolina

3 Detroit Joey Harrington QB Oregon

4 Buffalo Mike Williams T Texas

5 San Diego Quentin Jammer CB Texas

6 Kansas City Ryan Sims DT North Carolina

7 Minnesota Bryant McKinnie T Miami

8 Dallas Roy Williams FS Oklahoma

9 Jacksonville John Henderson DT Tennessee

10 Cincinnati Levi Jones T Arizona State

All the others it is too soon to tell what the out come is.

But year after year you buy into this draft hype thinking that some of these guys are going to change their teams fate as soon as they step on the football field. Year after year, the information is there and year after year we buy into these stories and hopes of success when really every draft class is pretty much the same from year to year.

The bottom line is, the Bills need to trade down based on the information provided above. If you trade down, do your chances of not drafting a bust go up? Probably not, but atleast the cap hit isn't going to cripple your team for years to come (Example: Ryan Leaf in San Diego).

I vote trade down with a team, pick up Bunkley and another pick so that we can rebuild this team and make it the way it was when the Bills had success.

This is a stupid thread question to begin with, let me start off by saying that.

How many years will it take for some of you to realize that the draft is a crap shoot, and the majority of the players drafted in the first round end up being mediocre or bust.

626259[/snapback]

How is this a stupid thread question?

"It is conceivable given recent developments that one of the big 3 QB prospects is available at #8. If so, should the Bills draft one of them?

Personally, I would hope they were there and give the Bills a chance to trade down and get a couple more draft picks on top of a premium lineman with the top pick."

Failing to understand a hypothetical question is stupid. The possibility exists that a top rated QB may be there at #8. Evaluating the future success of the top pick is a completely different question. The question pertained to the propriety of drafting a QB or doing something else.

I favor doing something else (i.e. trading down if possible) but I hope a QB is on the board to give the Bills some leverage at least.

It is conceivable given recent developments that one of the big 3 QB prospects is available at #8. If so, should the Bills draft one of them?

Personally, I would hope they were there and give the Bills a chance to trade down and get a couple more draft picks on top of a premium lineman with the top pick.

If NO signs Brees this could happen. What would you do with the #8 pick in this situation?

626045[/snapback]

Absolutely consider trading down. As exciting as Vince Young could be, we need help on our lines.

How is this a stupid thread question?

"It is conceivable given recent developments that one of the big 3 QB prospects is available at #8. If so, should the Bills draft one of them?

Personally, I would hope they were there and give the Bills a chance to trade down and get a couple more draft picks on top of a premium lineman with the top pick."

Failing to understand a hypothetical question is stupid. The possibility exists that a top rated QB may be there at #8. Evaluating the future success of the top pick is a completely different question. The question pertained to the propriety of drafting a QB or doing something else.

I favor doing something else (i.e. trading down if possible) but I hope a QB is on the board to give the Bills some leverage at least.

626407[/snapback]

I see the title of the thread as an indication that the creator of the thread wishes to draft a quarterback in the first round, and i think a lot of people see it that way also.

name some

626220[/snapback]

Last ten years:

95: Tony Boselli, Korey Stringer, Ruben Brown, B. Brockenmyer

96: Jonathen Ogden, Willie Anderson, Pete Kendall, Jeff Hartings, Jermain Mayberry

97: Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, Ross Verba

98: Kyle Turley, Tra Thomas, Mo Collins, Alan Faneca

99: John Tait, Damien Woody

00: Chris Samuels, Stockar McDougal

01: Jeff Backus, Steve Hutchinson

02: Levi Jones, Bryant McKinnie, Kendall Simmons

03: Jordan Gross

04: Shawn Andrews

I'm not counting 2005 because its too early to tell if these players have what it takes to be successful (Jamaal Brown, Alex Baron, Chris Spencer, Logan Mankins). I left out other players like Robert Gallery, and Jeff Faine because they've either been injured or the jury is still out on them. Anyway there are lots who don't work out but the same is true for EVERY postion in the NFL. The draft is a crapshoot but to say 1st Round O-lineman hardly pan out is simply not true. Unless DaBrick falls to us at eight I doubt we will be picking an O-lineman this year in Round 1.

Answer: make the same decision we would make if none of the three QBs fall...don't draft a QB, and decide between taking the best non QB with a leaning towards the lines or trading down. Our possibilities of value in trading down increase if someone wants a QB, so this could push us towards trading down. But it depends on what is offered for our pick, and we don't make that decision. I think there is quality at 8, but more so if three QBs we don't want are off the board, so in your scenario, trading down could be more valuable if the right offer is made.

Yeah well its always an interesting debate when a guy is hot coming out of college and going into the pro's. It seems every year holds a few dogs and a few gems.

For me, watching Leinart play UCLA, Arizona State, and especially Notre Dame didnt show me #1 the althleticism but more improtantly #2 the arm strength to be a good pro qb. He struggled against pro set cover 2 defenses who werent overwhelming teams athletically. Especially ND. Thats one thing Cutler and Young have are big live arms. Leinart doesnt have that. Not sure about Young running a pro offense though either.

626082[/snapback]

what, did you not see their other 38 games? gimme a break, you telling me that hes supposed to be outstanding in every single game they play?

if theres anyone out there that thinks we should draft a QB in the first round you should just find yourself another team to root for cuz you dont know sh*t about this one. It makes no sense at all. If one falls to us, SO WHAT, you take the player you origionally wanted. If they arent there you can trade down, i dont know who i would want other than Bunkley if that happened but still, YOU DONT TAKE ONE.

if theres anyone out there that thinks we should draft a QB in the first round you should just find yourself another team to root for cuz you dont know sh*t about this one. It makes no sense at all. If one falls to us, SO WHAT, you take the player you origionally wanted. If they arent there you can trade down, i dont know who i would want other than Bunkley if that happened but still, YOU DONT TAKE ONE.

626474[/snapback]

True and I've made the same point (ala my mock below), the problem is you have to find a trading partner thats looking for a QB. Miami is the only one that comes to mind but IMHO they are a little too far down and they way things appear to be shaping up with Brees that would squash that. St. Louis might be an option if Huff or Davis is on the board and we decide to go DT. The only problem with that scenario is that if one of those QBs (Young or Leinhart) falls to us at 8, that probably means Davis is off the board and St. Louis would have to be convinced Huff was their man. Before that happens we would first have to decide that WE don't want Huff. Bottom line: finding a trading partner isn't always that easy.

i agree, but i cant see us trading down if huff and davis are there, i would only trade down if they werent. but yeah, trading partners can be hard to find, but if we really want to move out of there that is easy too, you can just ask for less in return, it might sound stupid but if we really dont think that the players at that spot are worth a 15million dollar bonus than it might be a smart move.

Last ten years: 

95:  Tony Boselli, Korey Stringer, Ruben Brown, B. Brockenmyer

96:  Jonathen Ogden, Willie Anderson, Pete Kendall, Jeff Hartings, Jermain Mayberry

97:  Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, Ross Verba

98:  Kyle Turley, Tra Thomas, Mo Collins, Alan Faneca

99:  John Tait, Damien Woody

00:  Chris Samuels, Stockar McDougal

01:  Jeff Backus, Steve Hutchinson

02:  Levi Jones, Bryant McKinnie, Kendall Simmons

03:  Jordan Gross

04:  Shawn Andrews

626439[/snapback]

some of those guys Ive never even heard of, anyways I sawe this poll once that said more starting linmen in the NFl where drafted in the 5th and 6th round. Ill get a link later

With who?  i think the consensus among the "thinking" posters is to trade down.  but, you have to have a willing partner who will give you fair value.  So, my position remains:  I'd TRY to trade down.

626197[/snapback]

Sorry Dean.

"I would try to find a trading partner and see if someone is in need of a QB, if I can't find one I wouldn't draft a QB at 8."

It's that better?

Sorry Dean.

"I would try to find a trading partner and see if someone is in need of a QB, if I can't find one I wouldn't draft a QB at 8."

It's that better?

626548[/snapback]

Yup. I realize the tone of my post made it seem like I was jumping on you...I wasn't. I was just trying to clarify that everyone posting "I'd trade down" was sorta missing a piece of the transaction.

In reality, the Bills may need to find at least TWO interested parties for a trade to assure they don't get jobbed by a team that knows they are desperate to trade.

Just IMO, of course.