Question for Penn State fans

KD in CA

Since there seem to be a lot of PSU fans here, I'm curious to know; do you guys think Paterno needs to go? I know he's an icon and all, but they've been pretty bad for several years and he looks like he's about 85 yo. Can he still recruit/coach? Is he just trying to outlast Bowden for the wins record? Or do you think he's still an effective coach?

Speaking as an observer not a fan, but yeah, it's time for him to be watching from a respected position in the stands, and perhaps act as an adviser to the program. I believe he has a lifetime contract, if not in writing then at least tacitly.

It's a lot like Calhoun or Geno here, but I can tell you that in these types of situations, the coach always hangs on for longer than he should.

The problem with Paterno, is that he has a very strong power base at Penn State and will never be forced to leave.

I have always been a big JoePa supporter but after watching the Wisconsin game this weekend, it is clear that we are not going to a bowl this year. I think that Joe needs to retire for the good of the program. Make Galen Hall the head coach for now.

The problem with Paterno, is that he has a very strong power base at Penn State and will never be forced to leave.

I have always been a big JoePa supporter but after watching the Wisconsin game this weekend, it is clear that we are not going to a bowl this year.  I think that Joe needs to retire for the good of the program.  Make Galen Hall the head coach for now.

46509[/snapback]

Im with you T-Bone, and it pains me to say JoePa should be gone, but I think it is affecting their recruiting, if you are a top HS player and PSU is calling, and you facotr in JoePa'a age, wont it make you think twice about going there if you arent really that sure the guy that recruits you will be there for your entire collegiate career?

Having said that, the day JoePa leaves, as a PSU fan since 1982 you bet Ill be shedding tears

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.