Packers re-sign DE Aaron Kampman

Coupled with the big money they're giving KGB at the other DE spot, I don't see them taking DE Mario Williams at #5 anymore. I was worried that the Bills wouldn't be able to trade ahead of them to get him, but now trading WITH them to get Williams looks like it could very well happen. The Packers would move down 3 spots, still be able to get one of the better players in the draft and some extra picks, and everyone's happy!

If Da'Brick and Williams are both there at 5, who do you take then??

625389[/snapback]

Yeah, I'd say Williams. Bottom line, he is a much better athlete and in the Bills new defense, pass rush is EVERYTHING. We need a LT, but I think Peters is that guy. You can't argue with his ability, he's got as much of it as D'Brickashaw (actually, in terms of measurables, he is bigger and faster). That said, IMO, we won't be trading up if the team doesn't get more significant work done in FA.

Yeah, I'd say Williams.  Bottom line, he is a much better athlete and in the Bills new defense, pass rush is EVERYTHING.  We need a LT, but I think Peters is that guy.  You can't argue with his ability, he's got as much of it as D'Brickashaw (actually, in terms of measurables, he is bigger and faster).  That said, IMO, we won't be trading up if the team doesn't get more significant work done in FA.

Well considering the Bills would be giving up (points-wise) their 8th overall, and a 3rd and 4th round pick, I think that Williams would make more of an impact than the players the Bills could get at those positions. The Bills will still have a 2nd and 3rd rounder, should get at least a 4th round comp pick, and their remaining picks.

Mario will be a great player, while I think D'Brick will be a good player. I agree with Jason Peters being a better player.

But I can't see trading up, I could see them taking Ngata instead and the raiders taking Davis, SF taking Hawk and us landing Mario. not likely, but I can see it, if I close my eyes real tight

Coupled with the big money they're giving KGB at the other DE spot, I don't see them taking DE Mario Williams at #5 anymore.  I was worried that the Bills wouldn't be able to trade ahead of them to get him, but now trading WITH them to get Williams looks like it  could very well happen.  The Packers would move down 3 spots, still be able to get one of the better players in the draft and some extra picks, and everyone's happy!

625324[/snapback]

If that is the case, I would do it in a second. Give them an extra 3rd rounder in the deal, possibly our 3rd rounder.

Well considering the Bills would be giving up (points-wise) their 8th overall, and a 3rd and 4th round pick, I think that Williams would make more of an impact than the players the Bills could get at those positions.  The Bills will still have a 2nd and 3rd rounder, should get at least a 4th round comp pick, and their remaining picks.

625526[/snapback]

It's a tough call, IMO.

My heart says get a player who has a chance to be truly great. In a lot of past drafts, Williams would have been a #1 overall. His desire is THE ONLY question mark(unlike a lot of past "busts" who had injuries in their background).

My head says trade back, or even stay put, and draft a guy with less ability but a higher "floor". Hawk, Tamba Hali, Bunkley.....these guys all have that motor and are good players.

People compare Maro Williams to Julius Peppers, but IMO he is also a lot like Richard Seymour of the Pats. Both are giant, long limbed, athletic and naturally powerful DL who left college with some questions about their desire for the game. Seymour as a rookie literally transformed the Pats defense from a bag of tricks with a mediocre front into a team that could dominate you at the point of attack as well. With due respect to Hawk, Hali and Bunkley, they aren't going to do that. If they become the next Urlacher, Freeney or Casey Hampton respectively, they aren't going to have that kind of impact.

Like I said, it's a tough call, I go back and forth on it, but right now, I would be leaning toward taking the great talent over the more sure thing.

Guest BackInDaDay
It's a tough call, IMO.

My heart says get a player who has a chance to be truly great.  In a lot of past drafts, Williams would have been a #1 overall.  His desire is THE ONLY question mark(unlike a lot of past "busts" who had injuries in their background).

My head says trade back, or even stay put, and draft a guy with less ability but a higher "floor".  Hawk, Tamba Hali, Bunkley.....these guys all have that motor and are good players.

People compare Maro Williams to Julius Peppers,  but IMO he is also a lot like Richard Seymour of the Pats.  Both are giant, long limbed, athletic and naturally powerful DL who left college with some questions about their desire for the game.  Seymour as a rookie literally transformed the Pats defense from a bag of tricks with a mediocre front into a team that could dominate you at the point of attack as well.  With due respect to Hawk, Hali and Bunkley, they aren't going to do that.  If they become the next Urlacher, Freeney or Casey Hampton respectively, they aren't going to have that kind of impact.

Like I said, it's a tough call, I go back and forth on it, but right now, I would be leaning toward taking the great talent over the more sure thing.

625611[/snapback]

Nice post.

I'm for drafting defense, and Williams and Huff could be immediate impact players in out new D. Without consistent pressure off the corners we'll be nickled and dimed all day. Williams could give us that complement to Schobel that Kelsay hasn't been able to. But if Marv has a DE lined up in FA, then get Huff. Both of these guys could develope into the 'gotta account for them' type players a D needs.

I like your logic, but am I the only one who thinks they would probably want a second to move into that spot? I'm not sure a 3rd and a 4th will get it done. While I would be ecstatic if we got Mario...we really need draft picks to fill all these holes. Super Mario would be pretty sweet though.

I'd certainly consider trading up for Mario Williams. IMO, he's the best player in this draft.

My trade offer to GB? The 8th pick, our 2nd 3rd rounder, and next year's 1st round pick for the 5th pick plus GB's 2nd round pick next year. That allows us to keep our 2nd round pick this year (and I really doubt GB would bite for less) and we still have 7 picks next year, though we swap a 1st rounder for a 2nd.