LAMP-Traveling to Nashville TN

ROCCEO

Sorry to post a big fat LAMP during such an important week. I was wondering if any posters here were from Nashville or the surrounding area and furthermore, what would they suggest to do or where to go while in Nashville. Im traveling there next week during spring break with my girlfriend to visit her brother and his wife. We've already decided to go to the Nashville Zoo, visit bicentennial park and a few other things while we're there.

ALso been considering the 70 mile trip to lynchburg to see the Jack Daniel's distillery. Does anyone know if it's worth it? what other fun things are there to do? What are good places to eat?

Im not a huge country music fan but ive been told to at least visit opryland while there, also is there any good places in town to catch either live blues or live standup comedy? I can't wait to leave the bleak march weather of western new york behind for a week and venture into the red states. It should be a fun adventure. Thank you to all who respond because this is the first time ive ever driven on a long trip with minimal plans.

Sorry to post a big fat LAMP during such an important week.  I was wondering if any posters here were from Nashville or the surrounding area and furthermore, what would they suggest to do or where to go while in Nashville.  Im traveling there next week during spring break with my girlfriend to visit her brother and his wife.  We've already decided to go to the Nashville Zoo, visit bicentennial park and a few other things while we're there. 

ALso been considering the 70 mile trip to lynchburg to see the Jack Daniel's distillery.  Does anyone know if it's worth it?  what other fun things are there to do?  What are good places to eat?

Im not a huge country music fan but ive been told to at least visit opryland while there, also is there any good places in town to catch either live blues or live standup comedy?  I can't wait to leave the bleak march weather of western new york behind for a week and venture into the red states.  It should be a fun adventure.  Thank you to all who respond because this is the first time ive ever driven on a long trip with minimal plans.

622644[/snapback]

The lynchburg tour is pretty good, and a great place to learn about whiskey making. Ironically Jack is made in a dry county so they have a special license to sell the stuff on site. I enjoyed the tour quite a bit.

Your talking the music capital of the south here, so you can find some great music spots downtown. Start at Tootsie's (Kris Kristofferson started out waiting tables here and about every star has done a turn there.) there is a Wild Horse Saloon that is a kick for dancing and chasing the pretty girls. Visit the Rhyman Aud. and the Grand Ol Opry show in Opryland (near the airport) is usually very good. Printer's alley is the hub of all the entertainment buzz. The Hermitage (Andrew Jackson's place) is worth a visit as well. Have a great time!

Sorry to post a big fat LAMP during such an important week.  I was wondering if any posters here were from Nashville or the surrounding area and furthermore, what would they suggest to do or where to go while in Nashville.  Im traveling there next week during spring break with my girlfriend to visit her brother and his wife.  We've already decided to go to the Nashville Zoo, visit bicentennial park and a few other things while we're there. 

ALso been considering the 70 mile trip to lynchburg to see the Jack Daniel's distillery.  Does anyone know if it's worth it?  what other fun things are there to do?  What are good places to eat?

Im not a huge country music fan but ive been told to at least visit opryland while there, also is there any good places in town to catch either live blues or live standup comedy?  I can't wait to leave the bleak march weather of western new york behind for a week and venture into the red states.  It should be a fun adventure.  Thank you to all who respond because this is the first time ive ever driven on a long trip with minimal plans.

622644[/snapback]

let me know what was good . heading down this summer . .

If you want to see real GOOD whiskey being made, look no further than Geroge Dickel's distillery:

http://www.dickel.com/history/index.html

(If that doesn't work, go in the front door: www.dickel.com)

While Jack Daniels continues to water down and screw with the product, George Dickel (the "other" Tennessee whiskey) continues to be America's Best Whiskey, IMO. When I first started drinking JD, the Black label was 90 proof. Some time ago they (quitely) lowered the potency to 86 proof. A year or so ago, they added more water to the mix. JD Black is now 80 proof (the same as the terrible Jack Daniels Green). This was done, as far as I can tell, because most JD drinkers add Coke to the mix...so who cares what it tastes like? More $ for JD.

OTOH, Dickel's whilte label (well..."pale" label) is and has always been 90 proof. They have a fine black label at 80 proof that is also better than JD Black (or Green).

Dickel and branch...that's good drinkin.

622644[/snapback]

Don't know if this would interest you or not, but about 50 miles to the north is Bowling Green, KY. That is where GM builds Corvettes and the National Corvette Museum is there, they give plant tours as well. There are not many automobiles made in America that are considered "world class", but the Corvette may be one of the few.

622644[/snapback]

Opryland is not about music, it is a huge hotel/convention center with beautiful indoor gardens. I was amazed by it.

As far as downtown, most of the bars have live bands.

Opryland is not about music, it is a huge hotel/convention center with beautiful indoor gardens. I was amazed by it.

As far as downtown, most of the bars have live bands.

623261[/snapback]

I had the opportunity to stay at Opryland for a few days last year for work. I was awed! You literally get lost in the hotel. We kept ovoiding going out becuase there were things we wanted to check out in the hotel.

Grand Ol Opry was a fun experience. Not really my type of music, but enjoyable for the historical aspects.

And I know it's the wrong time of year, but while I was there Oakland was playing Tenn. We took a River Boat from right next to the Opryland to the stadium (about an hour and a half). Lots of music, drinks and food, and then it drops you off right in front of the stadium! An excellent time overall.

Can't say much else about Nashville as that was my only time there and like I said, I didn't get too far from the hotel.