Why does UB have a 1A football program?

KRT88

I can't believe just how bad the UB football program is! I know they are bad, but for crying out loud, could they almost win a game. This program is what 2-26 in the past 2 1/2 seasons. They average about 5 turnovers a game at least and if they aren't ranked last in 1A, exactly who is?

Why did this program not stay the course a few years ago and go 1AA. They had the chance to slowly develope a program like Youngstown State. They could have worked towards becoming a annual 1AA playoff team and possibily contend for a championship each year. Instead they are lucky to contend for a handful of wins each year. Why did the leadership get greedy and create such a GOD AWFUL program.

Does anyone is WNY see any light at the end of this tunnel. Hell I figure they train has already run them over 7 or 8 times so eventually the light has to be something other than a train.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
I can't believe just how bad the UB football program is!  I know they are bad, but for crying out loud, could they almost win a game.  This program is what 2-26 in the past 2 1/2 seasons.  They average about 5 turnovers a game at least and if they aren't ranked last in 1A, exactly who is?

Why did this program not stay the course a few years ago and go 1AA.  They had the chance to slowly develope a program like Youngstown State.  They could have worked towards becoming a annual 1AA playoff team and possibily contend for a championship each year.  Instead they are lucky to contend for a handful of wins each year.  Why did the leadership get greedy and create such a GOD AWFUL program.

Does anyone is WNY see any light at the end of this tunnel.  Hell I figure they train has already run them over 7 or 8 times so eventually the light has to be something other than a train.

45751[/snapback]

Change that UGLY-A$$ logo, for a change. Good gravy, it's disgusting!!!!!

:flirt:

I can't believe just how bad the UB football program is!  I know they are bad, but for crying out loud, could they almost win a game.  This program is what 2-26 in the past 2 1/2 seasons.  They average about 5 turnovers a game at least and if they aren't ranked last in 1A, exactly who is?

Why did this program not stay the course a few years ago and go 1AA.  They had the chance to slowly develope a program like Youngstown State.  They could have worked towards becoming a annual 1AA playoff team and possibily contend for a championship each year.  Instead they are lucky to contend for a handful of wins each year.  Why did the leadership get greedy and create such a GOD AWFUL program.

Does anyone is WNY see any light at the end of this tunnel.  Hell I figure they train has already run them over 7 or 8 times so eventually the light has to be something other than a train.

45751[/snapback]

As supportive as I was for them going to 1-A, I have to agree with your point. I think they moved up way too quickly. If I'm not mistaken, UB was starting to enjoy some success at the 1AA level, and then bumped up. They are so far in the hole now, in terms of the reputation of the school, that they will never be able to recruit well enough to become a success.

There would have been nothing wrong with staying at 1AA, but you're right, greed and the fantasy of becoming a Big East-type football power definitely drove this program in the wrong direction.

I disagree... Miami almost killed 1A football before kelly came around... i think with st. francis beating ignatius yesterday and jamestown being a perennial top 10 school that it could turn quickly... they (UB) need a coach like witherspoon... someone who can convice the guys to stay local

I don't think they should quit 1-A. Don't be quitters! The most damaging thing is they do not have a D1-A Quarterback. Couple that with the culture of losing and suspect coaching and they can't pull out of this tailspin. They do, however, have some decent individual talent on the roster. They are not getting physically manhandled like they were the past few years. Now they are hanging in games until they make a brutal turnover and it gets returned for a TD. It's happpened every game. They need to make a coaching change and make more of a committment to football. I hope they stick with it.

I don't think they should quit 1-A.  Don't be quitters!  The most damaging thing is they do not have a D1-A Quarterback. Couple that with the culture of losing and suspect coaching and they can't pull out of this tailspin.  They do, however, have some decent individual talent on the roster.  They are not getting physically manhandled like they were the past few years.  Now they are hanging in games until they make a brutal turnover and it gets returned for a TD.  It's happpened every game. They need to make a coaching change and make more of a committment to football.  I hope they stick with it.

45831[/snapback]

Aren't they already on the 3rd 1A coach now. How many coaching changes are needed before they start showing some class?

Sep 2 at Eastern Michigan L, 37-34

Sep 11 vs Syracuse L, 37-17

Sep 18 at Nevada L, 38-13

Sep 25 at Ohio L 34 - 0

They hung around in game 1 and actually played a good 22 minutes vs Syracuse but they've been out scored 146-64.

They scored more points in their first game then in the next 3 combined.

I disagree... Miami almost killed 1A football before kelly came around... i think with st. francis beating ignatius yesterday and jamestown being a perennial top 10 school that it could turn quickly... they (UB) need a coach like witherspoon... someone who can convice the guys to stay local

45808[/snapback]

Big difference in the talent pool between S. FLA and in WNY.

I think they moved to 1A way too fast. I think Jim Hohfer has more on the ball than their last head coach ( a former assistant at Penstate whose name I can't recall, but unless Buffalo is willing to ante up some big bucks for a name coach who can attract recruits from beyond WNY, it may be years before UB can even think about having a winning season. However, except for the last game, UB has been playing opponents tougher than last year. I suspect they may yet win a game or even two this season.

Craig Cirrbus screwed the pooch prior to Hofner. Do not give the BS about the WNY talent not stacking up, because they are nestled between schools like Syracuse and Michigan which have figured out how to recruit (obviously!) and I do not expect them to out recruit those school. But they should be able to out recruit Ohio U, Miami of Ohio and Eastern Michigan.

I think the problem is that Buffalo is willing to take other programs scraps. For example, UB recruited 3 kids from the MD area recently, none of which were offered Div 1-A scholarships, but the HS programs they played in are well respected.

In discussions with the administration, the school is commited to building a solid Div 1-A program, but will not do it at the expense of building academics. Furthmore and unfortunately, SUNY continues to support schools like Stony Brook, Binghamton and Albany, instead of naming UB the State University of New York (see states like Michigan, Pennslyvania, California, NJ, etc.).

45751[/snapback]

I think it has to do with enrollment #s.

The basketball program broke through last season. Now they are one of the better teams in the MAC.

The football program doesn't seem to be progressing at all. Hohfer is not the answer. Need to pinpoint some key recruiting areas and get some players with actual talent. WNY is NOT a hotbed of top high school football talent. Keeping our own means keeping very average players. The rare big names, like Worthington of St. Francis, pick Ohio St.

UB needs a great recruiter to run the program. Find a winner from Div. 1-AA or Divison II....or Another Div.1 Top Asst., known for being a good recruiter.

The basketball program broke through last season. Now they are one of the better teams in the MAC.

The football program doesn't seem to be progressing at all.  Hohfer is not the answer. Need to pinpoint some key recruiting areas and get some players with actual talent. WNY is NOT a hotbed of top high school football talent. Keeping our own means keeping very average players. The rare big names, like Worthington of St. Francis, pick Ohio St.

UB needs a great recruiter to run the program. Find a winner from Div. 1-AA or Divison II....or Another Div.1 Top Asst., known for being a good recruiter.

46503[/snapback]

The basketball did not break through....until they ditch Witherspoon, this team will be no better than a 15-16 win team in their best years. After talking with people at UB, it looks like unless UB can recruit another strong class they will be mediorce.

The administration had been against allowing UB to play some home games at the Ralph to attract bigger named programs to play against UB. The opponents you play helps recruit the talent you get.

The basketball did not break through....until they ditch Witherspoon, this team will be no better than a 15-16 win team in their best years.  After talking with people at UB, it looks like unless UB can recruit another strong class they will be mediorce.

The administration had been against allowing UB to play some home games at the Ralph to attract bigger named programs to play against UB.  The opponents you play helps recruit the talent you get.

46578[/snapback]

I don't blame them for not wanting to play games 20 miles from campus. They have a hard enough time getting students who live on campus to go. How bad would it look if UB played a big-name program (say Syracuse again, just to get the local interest up), and they only drew 10,000 (or worse). Say goodbye to the larger programs ever playing at UB again.

The basketball did not break through....until they ditch Witherspoon, this team will be no better than a 15-16 win team in their best years.  After talking with people at UB, it looks like unless UB can recruit another strong class they will be mediorce.

The administration had been against allowing UB to play some home games at the Ralph to attract bigger named programs to play against UB.  The opponents you play helps recruit the talent you get.

46578[/snapback]

Basketball Team has 2 Freshman,2 Soph and 1 Junior starter last year. They all return. Team started slow and finished 17-12, 11-7 in the MAC. Your predictions ring hollow. Witherspoon is doing a good job coaching and recruiting.

I don't blame them for not wanting to play games 20 miles from campus.  They have a hard enough time getting students who live on campus to go.  How bad would it look if UB played a big-name program (say Syracuse again, just to get the local interest up), and they only drew 10,000 (or worse).  Say goodbye to the larger programs ever playing at UB again.

46581[/snapback]

My thoughts which I shared with the administration is to get Penn St to play @ UB at the Ralph. The fans would be 90% Penn St, and probably sell out the game, but at least UB can use it to recruit. I suggested these schools as schools I think would attract a large enough crowd to fill seats (again most fans would be there for the visiting team).

Penn St.

Michigan

OSU

Wisconsin

Many of these programs will play on the road for an appearance fee, which UB would need to invest as a cost of recruiting. Unfortunately with the SUNY budget tight, it will not happen.

In discussions with the administration, the school is commited  to building a solid Div 1-A program, but will not do it at the expense of building academics.  Furthmore and unfortunately, SUNY continues to support schools like Stony Brook, Binghamton and Albany, instead of naming UB the State University of New York (see states like Michigan, Pennslyvania, California, NJ, etc.).

46060[/snapback]

Do you think the administration should build the football team up at the expense of academics?