Matt Birk

i don't think you can call the NFL communist or not free market because of their cap and draft.

the NFL teams are franchises in one business. they agree to terms and conditions and vote on them as a group, but they are still private enterprise and as such are still "capitalist".

I don't disagree with all of his points, just the way he talked about not understanding what not having a new agreement would really mean.

The rookie contract situation makes sense, but I don't see it changing much. Those guys have just as much reason to want as much as they can get as the vets. Many players are only in the league a few years, so that one contract is all the marbles.

As far as guaranteed contracts go...I do agree with that, though I don't think it would have as much impact as the players may think. If the money is guaranteed, there will be much less of it in the deal. There would also have to be huge penalties in every contract for a player who holds out or doesn't play for any reason.

I think everyone should listen to what Birk has to say. The guy is smarter than 95% of the people on this board -- one of the few who could go get a real job outside of the NFL if he wanted, since he graduated from Harvard. He scored a 46 on the Wonderlic. He knows what he's talking about.

I didn't get the impression that he was whining, crying, or looking at his personal situation all all to be honest with you.

CW

I liked birk's stance, especially on the topic of rookie contracts. No way in hell these guys who have done nothing soudl make 50 mil while a vet that has made this his living for 10 years shoudl be forced to take the minimum of be cut. The NFL needs a hard cap on rookie salaries just like the NBA. (Which is about the only thing the NBA does right.)

617239[/snapback]

Exactly!