Dolphins release their starting Left Tackle...

The Dolphins made their first significant cut of the offseason by releasing left tackle Damion McIntosh on Wednesday.

The move saves the Dolphins $3.8 million against the salary cap. That includes a $500,000 roster bonus due later this month and $3.3 million in base salary.

The Dolphins held talks with McIntosh and agent Brett Tessler about restructuring his contract. However, given the fluid nature of the collective bargaining agreement, the sides couldn't reach an agreement.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...ll/13992057.htm

Not sure if he is any good or not -- but by the end of the year Miami was on a roll. Gus, who is not the most fleet of foot, actually managed to post some decent numbers and the RB combo of Ricky and Ronnie were effective too. Again, I don't know what this means about McIntosh, but he could be worth a look, considering our need at LT.

I saw KFFL article saying cutting McIntosh saves the Fins $4.48 mill in cap room.

Dolphins | McIntosh released

Wed, 1 Mar 2006 14:14:57 -0800

Alex Marvez, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports the Miami Dolphins have released OLT Damion McIntosh, who was due to earn $4.425 million in salary for 2006. The move saves the Dolphins about $4.48 million in cap room.

I saw KFFL article saying cutting McIntosh saves the Fins $4.48 mill in cap room.

Alex Marvez, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports the Miami Dolphins have released OLT Damion McIntosh, who was due to earn $4.425 million in salary for 2006. The move saves the Dolphins about $4.48 million in cap room.

619483[/snapback]

I could be wrong but I don't think that you can save more than what a player was due to earn in cap savings.

I could be wrong but I don't think that you can save more than what a player was due to earn in cap savings.

maybe a roster bonus ?? that's the only thing i could think of that would allow that.

Mar. 1, 2006 - 5:35 pm et

Dolphins released T Damion McIntosh.

McIntosh was arrested recently after striking his wife and didn't play well in 2005, so this was an easy decision. The Dolphins are in the market for a new starting left tackle.

Character Issue....Marv?

He gave up 4 sacks and committed 5 penalties, compared to Gandy's 7 sacks and 7 penalties. However he did also play next to a better LG (James, who gave up 2.5 sacks and committed 5 penalties, compared to the 6 sacks and 8 penalties Anderson had).

Good luck finding a new starting LT AND a new QB, Dols.

2005 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 73 | Key

Alert: D

Comment:

The more space he's in the less effective he becomes. He has some trouble reaching the second level and will struggle at times to hit moving targets. He winds up lunging occasionally when he can't get in position. He will have some trouble against elite speed rushers off the edge, as he will have to over-extend to get set at times and will leave himself vulnerable to the outside-in double moveHe is technically sound, knows his assignments and does a great job with positioning. He works to finish his blocks and he gets lots of pancakes in the running game. He overwhelms a good majority of defenders at the POA and will simply engulf them once he's in position. He bends his knees and plays with decent leverage. He shows adequate body control and mirror-and-slide skills

Peters, my man, with Gandy next to him.  Maybe McIntosh could be worth a lot at RT?

619607[/snapback]

Jason Peters

Grade: 58 | Key

Alert: Y

Comment:

Peters has very good size. He has adequate-to-good height at the OT position and great bulk. He has outstanding feet and mobility for his size. Typically gets in good position as a blocker. Has the size to engulf smaller defenders at the POA. Has long arms and a strong upper body. Will drive his legs to finish the block. Does a very good job of reaching the second-level as a run blocker. Has very good athletic ability for his size and can hit the moving target. His angles are inconsistent and he has a lot of work to do in terms of picking up blitzes and stunts. He also needs to improve his lower body strength and base. He had great strength at the TE position but now he must get stronger in his legs and hips in order to improve his ability to anchor vs. the bull rush.

Again, I'll trust my eyes and scouts. This is what I mean, you guys blast the average starters and quality guys like Anderson, Clements, Reed, Moulds, and then think guys like Evans, Peters, and Crowell are all world. Sorry buy when they make it to average I'll have no problem with them in there but right now Evans isn't even as good as Peerless was, and Peerless didn't cut it as a #1. Peters is below average and has issues, same with Crowell. None of these guys should be starters, except Evans, but then only a #1, and it show what dire straits we as a team really are in, if fans think their play was even adequate.

Jason Peters

Grade: 58 | Key

Alert: Y

Comment:

Peters has very good size. He has adequate-to-good height at the OT position and great bulk. He has outstanding feet and mobility for his size. Typically gets in good position as a blocker. Has the size to engulf smaller defenders at the POA. Has long arms and a strong upper body. Will drive his legs to finish the block. Does a very good job of reaching the second-level as a run blocker. Has very good athletic ability for his size and can hit the moving target. His angles are inconsistent and he has a lot of work to do in terms of picking up blitzes and stunts. He also needs to improve his lower body strength and base. He had great strength at the TE position but now he must get stronger in his legs and hips in order to improve his ability to anchor vs. the bull rush.

Never said he was a Pro Bowler and anyone can stand to improve in an area or two. But for 2 years into a conversion from college TE, I'd say he looks very promising.

Peters, my man, with Gandy next to him.  Maybe McIntosh could be worth a lot at RT?

619607[/snapback]

I am all for Peters at LT, but it is far from a sure bet. As for LG, I am seriously hoping for an early draft pick who can be a mainstay for our football team, ala Hutchinson/Steinbach (players that TD passed on).

Gandy sucks compared to these guys, and I am saying that picking 8th and having an extra early 3rd, there is no excuse for Marv not brining us a top quality LG.

Agree? :blink:

I am all for Peters at LT, but it is far from a sure bet.

Neither is trying to land a LT in the draft, which is the ONLY place they'll be able to get one without shelling out an arm and a leg in FA.

As for LG, I am seriously hoping for an early draft pick who can be a mainstay for our football team, ala Hutchinson/Steinbach (players that TD passed on).

Gandy sucks compared to these guys, and I am saying that picking 8th and having an extra early 3rd, there is no excuse for Marv not brining us a top quality LG.

Agree?  :blink:

I'd agree that Gandy sucks compared to Hutchinson, et al., but again finding guys like that isn't a given in the draft, and on the market will be expensive. And with limited resouces, I think that the tackles and center positions are more important to spend FA dollars on, although I think we'll end up going with Preston at center.

I'd agree that Gandy sucks compared to Hutchinson, et al., but again finding guys like that isn't a given in the draft, and on the market will be expensive.  And with limited resouces, I think that the tackles and center positions are more important to spend FA dollars on, although I think we'll end up going with Preston at center.

619620[/snapback]

I think that we are closer to agreement than you might think....

If McNally thinks that JP can play LT, I am 100% for it. In my non-professional opinion, JP can play LT in the National Football League.

I am NOT trying to say that in 06, he will be the next Anthony Munoz. What I DO think is the JP does have the speed/agility required to make it in this league.

If I am correct, this will open doors to solidifying the OG position, LG in particular. Honestly. this is the first time ever that I am for the Bills trading down (for a steep price). Imo, there is no longer any excuse for not bringing in a young, strong, talented rookie to play OG for the Buffalo Bills Football Team.

This my friend is how teams get to/win the superbowl.

He never really panned out, that and the domestic abuse charge probably contributed to his bye-bye

He never really panned out, that and the domestic abuse charge probably contributed to his bye-bye

619793[/snapback]

that and the fact that he resembles a revolving door.

he is bad, but then again he is probably better than the last Miami castoff the Bills picked up to backup our RT.