Mayor Brown's Vision for City

You are correct - it was a dome in Lancaster - on Pleasantview Dr., where Ecology and Environment now sits.  They ruined a very nice 9-hole golf course along the way, and were gonna take half my parent's property by eminent domain to widen the street into a thoroughfare - my Dad holds a grudge to this day.

614828[/snapback]

I thought it was Lancaster. This was a story my parents were much more familiar with than me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct - it was a dome in Lancaster - on Pleasantview Dr., where Ecology and Environment now sits.  They ruined a very nice 9-hole golf course along the way, and were gonna take half my parent's property by eminent domain to widen the street into a thoroughfare - my Dad holds a grudge to this day.

614828[/snapback]

Thanks - I had a downtown site in my mind.

The Dome Stadium case truly was a WNY version of Jardyce v. Jardyce. It spanned parts of four decades, put the children of many local attorneys through college, and ultimately concluded in a manner that was probably unsatisfactory for all parties involved other than the attorney-spawn.

If we were to build a new downtown stadium, I'd be torn between maintaining the tradition of an open-air stadium -- with exposure to the elements creating a great home-field advantage, especially against the Fish -- and going with a roof, which might lead to a Buffalo-hosted Super Bowl.

If this happens, a retractable roof is a MUST. I know many of you will say "the game needs to be played outdoors," and it will. The retractable roof is ONLY for when a game is being played during lightning and it's a safety conern for players and fans. Other than that, the roof should stay open for all games and other conditions.

And the retractable roof would allow the stadium to be used OUTSIDE of when it's nice out, which is about half the year.

The retractable roof is ONLY for when a game is being played during lightning and it's a safety conern for players and fans.  Other than that, the roof should stay open for all games and other conditions.

615028[/snapback]

I really can't see spending that kind of jack on a roof that would be deployed, what, once every five or six years?

You better believe that if there's a retractable roof it'll be unretracted most of the time. The club seat holders and box owners will demand nothing less.

I really can't see spending that kind of jack on a roof that would be deployed, what, once every five or six years?

You better believe that if there's a retractable roof it'll be unretracted most of the time.  The club seat holders and box owners will demand nothing less.

615070[/snapback]

Sure - don't they already have a roof over their heads to keep their Brie and Quiche dry? :D

i know who Golisano is but who are Rich, Wegman, and Jacobs.

615124[/snapback]

Bob Rich - owner of Rich Products, dairy substitute kings.

Danny Wegman - think about that one.

The Jacobs Family - owners of Delaware North, an eclectic conglomerate focusing on hospitality. Sportservice is one of their premier brands.

I am no expert on these issues...but does anyone here believe if a new stadium is built, that in itself will create jobs, enhance the city's chances of landing other events like concerts, etc...thus creating more business opportunities around the city (restaurants, etc)...

Then if all this happens and people see the downtown Buffalo is somewhat alive again, maybe other busineses would be intrigued to move to the city.

Think about this too everyone:  If the NFL ever does go away from a cap, it is almost VITAL for the Bills to have a new stadium, to create more revenue, to keep up or at least hold their own against other NFL teams.

614714[/snapback]

Until there are some tax breaks in NY State, the Buffalo and Erie County area will continue to suffer from job losses. Employers simply don't want to pay what it costs to do business there. It's a crying shame, but the truth nonetheless.

Until there are some tax breaks in NY State, the Buffalo and Erie County area will continue to suffer from job losses.  Employers simply don't want to pay what it costs to do business there.  It's a crying shame, but the truth nonetheless.

615219[/snapback]

From WGRZ's site today, this can't help building a stadium:

Buffalo Tops List of Cash Strapped Cities

State Comptroller Alan Hevesi analyzed 61 cities outside of New York City and found that Buffalo was the most fiscally stressed metropolis.

Buffalo stress

No, it was Lancaster.  Walden avenue, 1/2 mile east of Transit road

614829[/snapback]

Both are right. Between Walden and Pleasant View - east of Central Ave in Lancaster. Right on top of the now departed golf course. The stadium was in the volunteer fire district that I belonged to - Bowmansville.

The decision to move the campus to Amherst instead of the waterfront was the stupidest decision ever made in Buffalo. Well...maybe the LaMonica trade. The existence of a large university of nearly 18,000 or more students living and shopping in downtown Buffalo, the addition of thousands of faculty and staff with a built in incentive to live downtown would have been a major revitalization factor. They University is, I believe, one of the top ten Western New York employers and having it located downtown would have had downtown bustling every day of the year. The stadium? eight sundays? No...vision was needed in the 1960's.

A downtown stadium would rob Bills games of one of the greatest things about going to them:  tailgating.

Ever been to a game in a downtown stadium?  There's hardly any damn place to park, let alone tailgate.

And if a new stadium is to be built, it should be built closer to Rochester anyway.

614613[/snapback]

Your thinking comes from what you are used to, from what all WNYers are used to: convenience. The convenience of living in the suburbs and having everything you need a short drive away. To fans, the Bills are a commodity that doesn't really hold a monetary value, but to a new owner the Bills would simply be an investment.

As others have mentioned, a brand new downtown stadium would be quite enticing for a prospective buyer of the team. A new owner will care little about the quality of tailgating, because tailgating produces very small profits. A new owner won't be hesitant about moving the Bills to an actual city. Building a stadium close to Rochester perhaps would make sense in the short term, because Rochester seems to be growing at a slightly faster rate, but in the end I think it would just lead to the team moving away from Western New York competely.

We are a small market team. A new owner isn't going to want to buy small market team with a stadium in the middle of nowhere, no matter how much the fans like the tailgating.

For a new owner, downtown stadium = less parking = more expensive parking = more profit.

imo, the State funded "convention center" that would be built for around 200 million dolalrs could EASILY be upgraded to a multipurpose facility, one of which would be football

this is what is needed this day and age.... the days of sing use stadiums are over, because they don;t make ANY economic sense anymore

imo, the State funded "convention center" that would be built for around 200 million dolalrs could EASILY be upgraded to a multipurpose facility, one of which would be football

this is what is needed this day and age.... the days of sing use stadiums are over, because they don;t make ANY economic sense anymore

615359[/snapback]

Well said!

thank you...

as much as I would HATE to see a dome, I'd rather see a domed stadium that could supposedly lure super bowl in here and also be used for conventions, auto shows, ect. (like in St. Louis) than see the team play in the nice open air of Los Angeles AKA thugtown frontrunner, soulless, plasticville

I say, GO BYRON!

say whatever you;ve got to say to get the thing built and get the rock solid lease signed.

The Bills mean so much to wNY that they are worth the going rate for accomodating

if the Bills were to leave it would be totally devastating for this entire region, not just the city of Buffalo

that said, a few hundred million bucks spent to keep such an enormous part of the region's identity intact is money well spent

If you cotnent it's wasted money, I say that more money is wasted every year by the state than we could ever comprehend

at least let it be "wasted" on something that we REALLY care about, rather than a couple hundred million for some politician's pet project that most of us will never enjoy

When you consider all the television viewers, ticket holders, casual fans, and hardcore Bills fans in WNY, there are well over a million people (easily) who derive enjoyment, quality of life, and fun from the Bills

I'm not usually one to think that football stadiums are instant revitalizing factors for cities, but if it were part of a revamped harbor in the same way that Baltimore has done it, it could be pretty sick.

I don't see how a Stadium that is used on 8 Sunday afternoons, + 2 preseason games, plus a few other random events is going to spur development downtown. In fact, on most days, its just going to be a gigantic hole in the center of downtown with little activity.

JDG