Basic Foreign Policy Philosophy

I wonder how many people who would support the government's acting proactively outside the US take the time and trouble to do so in their own communities?  As in, for example, working on planning boards etc. instead of merely reacting when stuff they don't like gets pushed through.

Not trolling, just wondering.

613277[/snapback]

Speaking for myself, I don't, because I don't care. I have no reaction nor interest in anything going on in the community, mostly because none of it affects me.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many people who would support the government's acting proactively outside the US take the time and trouble to do so in their own communities?  As in, for example, working on planning boards etc. instead of merely reacting when stuff they don't like gets pushed through.

613277[/snapback]

That which is important to me. Which, at the local level, isn't a hell of a lot. I suppose if I owned a home and paid property taxes I might feel differently...

Speaking for myself, I don't, because I don't care. I have no reaction nor interest in anything going on in the community, mostly because none of it affects me.

613289[/snapback]

Really that is too bad. Suburban DC got you down? That is why we moved from there to quasi-rural. Good public schools for my kid..s, taxes are a third less than a comparable private school, low crime, only 3 police officers needed in our town and good home value. Nearest town, Amherst has more crime, but mostly is drunk and disorderly related stuff due to college students. I have to drive slowly on evening weekends to avoid swerving pedestrians.

Still and hour from Boston and 2.5 from downtown Manhattan to see a show. Can't beat it, except the long winters. But I will take snow over the 30 degrees and rain crap you get and heck, I am avoiding this winter out in SoCAL. Carlsbad, CA isn't so bad, first day of rain today in a month and it is weird, but everyone here gets out and watches it like "Dude" the first snow of the year.

Seriously enjoy the local community discussions at the town eateries and coffee shops, something refreshingly simple about local gossip.

613277[/snapback]

I am pro-active in my community and I support a pro-active foreign policy, if the situation calls for it. When I see a problem (or something that could become a problem), I try to fix it. I am a member of a couple historical associations, working to preserve history and historical landmarks. I am a member of the Youth Aid Panel with my local police department. I am also an elected official in my township. I have regular contact with my state rep and have written legislation to fix things that I see are problems.

I think it's artificially constraining to lable foreign policy in general as "proactive" or "reactive".  Committing to one to exclusion to the other limits your options unnecessarily in situations where "the other" might be more applicable. 

The key point, I think, has to be that your foreign policy goals shouldn't be reactive.  If they are, the effect is a "no foreign policy" foreign policy.  Clinton's administration is, again, a perfect example of this: whether the execution of policy was proactive or reactive, the foreign policy goals were largely, maybe even universally, reactive.

612529[/snapback]

Classic example of double speak. :lol:

If anyone wants to discuss it. This colors everything going on, and should affect the next set of elections.

Should the US act aggressively and proactively to affect things in other parts of the world? (Not necessarily military) or, should we be observers and react to things we don't like?

I think we should stick with the proactive approach, including military action when needed. That said, I don't want ANYONE lifting a finger without a decent at least 5 year plan, including plan B, C, and D if A doesn't work.

612504[/snapback]

i think we should use the philosophy of George Washington. Something to the affect of "mind our own business unless it effects our business."

Classic examples of "double speak" then too!

Get what you need to further your cause and get out. Leave the allies and enemies to futher their cause on thier own.

i.e.... France, England, and Native American Indians in 18th century.

613289[/snapback]

That's a somewhat disappointing response fom both you and CTM because I value your opinions here on PPP (and occasionally on TSW!!). The idea that what happens in your local community doesn't affect you is somewhat short sighted. A quick example; over the years I have been recruited to move to a number of medium to large cities across the US in the line of work I do (or did, actually). One of the first questions I would have for a the group recruiting me was whether or not the most recent school bond was passed either by the general public, or by whatever issuing authority that controlled the bond issuing process. I don't have any children. My reasoning was to help me determine what sort of interest there was locally for making an investment in the community, by the community. I have lived in too many places where the people just didn't care enough to make an investment, either in time, money, or effort. Those communities tended to have a lower quality of life, and they also made my job much more difficult. Things that happen in your community do affect you, whether you do or don't have kids, pay property taxes or not own property, own a business or commute outsoide to another community to work. To think otherwise is putting your head in the sand.

Everyone else understood what I was saying.

Leads me to believe your problem is with you, not me.

614085[/snapback]

I understood what you said and it still double speak, but as long as my goal is proactive I can be reactive, right.

Foreign policy is inherently reactive. The only way to be truly proactive is to install puppet governments

That's a somewhat disappointing response fom both you and CTM because I value your opinions here on PPP (and occasionally on TSW!!).  The idea that what happens in your local community doesn't affect you is somewhat short sighted.  A quick example; over the years I have been recruited to move to a number of medium to large cities across the US in the line of work I do (or did, actually).  One of the first questions I would have for a the group recruiting me was whether or not the most recent school bond was passed either by the general public, or by whatever issuing authority that controlled the bond issuing process.  I don't have any children.  My reasoning was to help me determine what sort of interest there was locally for making an investment in the community, by the community. I have lived in too many places where the people just didn't care enough to make an investment, either in time, money, or effort. Those communities tended to have a lower quality of life, and they also made my job much more difficult.  Things that happen in your community do affect you, whether you do or don't have kids, pay property taxes or not own property, own a business or commute outsoide to another community to work.  To think otherwise is putting your head in the sand.

614100[/snapback]

Just because you could care less about the local politics of the community because it doesn't affect you, as they said, doesn't mean you cannot or do not affect it. I could care less what happens in my little LA community, both the broad city and the small section of town that I live in. And yet I almost always buy from the local merchants rather than chains, attend and support local street fairs and community events, volunteer for the Big Brother program and other local things, am helpful and friendly to my neighbors, etc. Its politics don't interest me much. I am more concerned with the Buffalo politics where I grew up.

Joseph Stalin

614149[/snapback]

Foreign Policy is inherently reactive unless you make a state your puppet?

The US is constantly exerting external pressure on foreign nations in ways that are unilaterally beneficial, potentially bilaterally beneficial, and often multilaterally beneficial,

(such as creating common markets).