USA Today story: "If only helmets could talk"

Lori

You can tell it's the offseason:USA Today Sports Weekly

Of course, they had to lead with Thurman's Super Bowl XXVI mishap. You knew that was coming, right?

In a sidebar story...

Design is important in headwear deliberation

... the president of something called The Society for Sports Uniforms Research (www.ssur.org) has decided the current Bills helmet is one of the five worst designs of all time:

•Buffalo Bills (2002-present). The basic logo, introduced in 1974, isn't too bad. It's the forcing of the additional colored stripes of navy and nickel into the traditional royal blue and red that makes this design so hard to stomach.

There are also polls for the best/worst all-time and current helmets. The Bengals helmet made the finals in the "best current helmet" poll, while ours is a finalist in both "worst" categories.

Thoughts? (Other than, have the voters in that poll actually seen the Cincinnati monstrosity? Gotta wonder...)

I've always thought we had one of the best helmets. Who cares about the blue stripes? The design is awesome.

I can think of plenty others that are worse.

611428[/snapback]

They're sort of saying the same thing. Basically our helmets right now are among the worst "all time" because they're a bastardized version of the classic helmets we had prior to 2002. If the Yankees added silver and red to an alternate cap for 2006, it'd be one of the worst baseball hats ever worn because it would be such a crappy, unnecessary marketing scheme.

The Texans helmets (and uniforms) are pretty bad only because they're so bland. Their logo is basically the Texas Longhorns logo mixed with the current Patriots logo (which is also ugly).

Lori, I have to agree with them - in that The Bills Helmets have been muddled. I think their unis are among the worst in the league, if not of all time. They look like something designed by a radical Japanese artiist on crack For example... Or like this.or something from a Roller Derby For another example.  :D

That's just my oxidized 2¢s.

611440[/snapback]

I know Marve is about football only - no potholes, but come on Marve please get rid of this crap the players are forced to wear.

Thoughts? (Other than, have the voters in that poll actually seen the Cincinnati monstrosity? Gotta wonder...)

611422[/snapback]

I find it funny that some of the better edgier logos are mentioned as bad ie.) the iggles which i think is bada$$. but how is the old patsies one not mentioned for worst of all time. It looked like John Hancock taking a dump.

You can tell it's the offseason:USA Today Sports Weekly

Of course, they had to lead with Thurman's Super Bowl XXVI mishap. You knew that was coming, right?

In a sidebar story...

Design is important in headwear deliberation

... the president of something called The Society for Sports Uniforms Research (www.ssur.org) has decided the current Bills helmet is one of the five worst designs of all time:

There are also polls for the best/worst all-time and current helmets. The Bengals helmet made the finals in the "best current helmet" poll, while ours is a finalist in both "worst" categories.

611422[/snapback]

The "Society for Sports Uniforms Research" and their acolytes need to take two aspirin and go to bed, if they find something appealing about those gawd-awful orange gumballs with black leeches that the B'gals wear.

Occasionally, they suit up with those helmets, orange pants and orange jerseys...they look like escapees from the Popsicle factory... :D

I find it funny that some of the better edgier logos are mentioned as bad ie.) the iggles which i think is bada$$. but how is the old patsies one not mentioned for worst of all time. It looked like John Hancock taking a dump.

The new "Flying Elvis" logo isn't much better. :D

But my favorite line is from Larry Czonka, who said that if he knew that thing on the side of the Dolphins helmet WAS a dolphin, he never would have played for them. :D

Guest BackInDaDay

Consider the Bills' current helmet and uniform design as artistic representations of the organization.

Very busy and confused.