CBA negotiations not going well.

All it takes is a handful of greedy owners to ruin it for everyone else. They don't realize that revenue sharing has made the league what it is, which in turn puts more money in their pockets, which in turn also makes their franchises worth as much as they are.

I just don't understand how a group of intelligent people can be so damn dumb. It is maddening.

I just don't understand how a group of intelligent people can be so damn dumb. It is maddening.

610716[/snapback]

Its so sad isn't it???

We heard the same things with Major League Baseball and the NHL, how could millionares and billionares be so dumb, they wouldnt cancel the season right?? :lol:

Having said that, this might be a typical knee-jerk reaction by E$PN

Probably so.

610725[/snapback]

Considering the source is the prestigious Peabody Award-winning program "Cold Pizza..." :lol:

Sounds like a re-spewing of the chest-thumping we've already heard about, but removing the term "threatens...."

Its so sad isn't it???

We heard the same things with Major League Baseball and the NHL, how could millionares and billionares be so dumb, they wouldnt cancel the season right??  :lol:

Having said that, this might be a typical knee-jerk reaction by E$PN

610720[/snapback]

Most likely. Whats going to be more likely to stop your channel surfing, "NFL labor problems" or "No football in 2008"

damn sensationalists...

Actually, E$PN has every reason to pump this up to full volume. The network lives largely off the NFL. For ESPN, a year without football would be a year without something like 70% of its viewership.

I, for one, am happy ESPN is being proactive enough to start making this into big news now -- rather than waiting until it is actually going to happen, at which point it could be unavoidable.

Now, the heat will be turned up and the NFL and players' union will get it done as the fan base will start getting restless. It will also give the players time to start thinking about how bad things could get if they were without work for a season.

Most likely. Whats going to be more likely to stop your channel surfing, "NFL labor problems" or "No football in 2008"

damn sensationalists...

610877[/snapback]

I guess the words "integrity" and "accuracy" are now a thing in the past when it comes to the media.

What a joke.

It all comes down to the players and their agents. They want to have a piece of ALL revenues, but at the same percentage as before. Try pulling that at YOUR work.

I say if there's no CBA, the owners pull the plugon the 2006 season pronto, i.e. before the league can decertify. Let them sit-out a year like the NHL players did and see them come crawling back.

It all comes down to the players and their agents.  They want to have a piece of ALL revenues, but at the same percentage as before.  Try pulling that at YOUR work. 

I say if there's no CBA, the owners pull the plugon the 2006 season pronto, i.e. before the league can decertify.  Let them sit-out a year like the NHL players did and see them come crawling back.

610982[/snapback]

Actually the owners have a LOT to do with this one as well...it ain't all the players fault.

Actually the owners have a LOT to do with this one as well...it ain't all the players fault.

The system the players have been playing under has been highly successful and made the players richer than they ever were before. So basically it ALL does come down to them and their greedy agents. But with their greed potentially comes a last capped season, an uncapped season in which fewer players become UFA's and they lose their pensions, and then they face a lockout in which they'd make NO money. Stupid is as stupid does, and I guess they didn't learn their lesson from the NHL.

But you're right that the owners have some fault. It was the greedy ones who gave-in immediately to the NFLPA's demands for more money, because they figured that with a cap based on ALL revenue, but without ALL revenue being shared, they'd have an edge over the less-successful franchises. And once you gave into that, the NFLPA was never going to give that up. But with a potential stoppage of play in 2008, those large market teams with their overextended debt are going to be hurting BIG TIME.

Yep.

And what gets me is that the greedy "new guard" owners seems to have NO problem giving money to the players, but not to their fellow owners.  Amazing.

611006[/snapback]

Ughh if an nfl owner woke up tomorrow with the money peyton manning makes he'd jump off the highest building possible.

Cold pizza btw also got it wrong. If they don't reach an agreement by March 3rd there will be an uncapped year in 07, but there will be football in 08 just no nfl draft.

Ughh if an nfl owner woke up tomorrow with the money peyton manning makes he'd jump off the highest building possible.     

Cold pizza btw also got it wrong.  If they don't reach an agreement by March 3rd there will be an uncapped  year in 07, but there will be football in 08 just no nfl draft.

There POTENTIALLY might be football in 2008. Or there could be a lockout or strike.

And I just read what will happen if there is no CBA after 2007. Suffice it to say that if both sides let it die, it will suck for everyone for the next 2 years at least.

Oh yeah, and the NFLPA is looking to reduce agent fees from 3% to 2%.  Still think the players aren't the main problem?

611124[/snapback]

Yes I do. Players have a right to find ways to get more money. NFL contracts are not guranteed money, and the pct of nfl players who actualy see any significant money is relativly slim. It is in the best interest of the players to look out for themselves. The Revenue the league generates is huge, players should be entitled to more. They're what make the game possible in the 1st place. The main problem for the players is

• Neither side can agree on the percentage of total revenues that will go to the players. Upshaw wouldn't elaborate on where the numbers were in the negotiations, but he has publicly said he wants a percentage number in the sixties. Reportedly, the sides are four percent apart but that number wasn't discussed by Upshaw.

"We want to have a higher percentage," Upshaw said. "We want more dollars to come into the system."

How significant is the percentage differential?

Upshaw said each percentage point is worth $2 million of cap room per team early in any CBA agreement, $2.5 million in the middle and $2.9 million in the end.

So Players basically want total team cap room to increase, which would make it easier for teams to keep their good players, without getting rid of the salary cap, but yeah I'm sure it's still the players fault. :lol:

• The NFLPA won't agree to any type of CBA extension that doesn't have a new revenue sharing plan in the future. The differences between the high and lower revenue sharing teams have grown as much as $100 million dollars. The league owners aren't close on any revenue sharing deal among themselves, and Upshaw considers that something the union would never accept in a new deal without revised revenue sharing.

It's basically all on the owners to sort out their differences before the NFLPA can even come into play.