Possible cuts

bud8andbills

Is Trey a free agent? If not, is his release possible? Is LaCharles Bentley gonna be available in free agency? What other centers might be available in FA?

609994[/snapback]

Teague is do be a free agent so need to cut him. In terms of other Centers you can find a list at Redzone.org if go by free agents by teams as for some reason they don't list C as a position. Or you can visit Scout.com which lists them by position and grades them.

What about the guy we drafted to play center? Duke Preston remember him?

610002[/snapback]

I think Preston should definately get the nod next year but still look to sign a free agency for depth. My choices would be Melvin Fowler and/or Cory Withrow who've been a spot starters for most of their careers and still young enough that could be a long term answer if Preston should happen to faulter.

Sorry, I see Duke as a career backup at best. The Duke makes me puke. He's big but way too weak. Didn't understand the pick then and don't understand the Preston optimism now.

610053[/snapback]

You don't get the nickname "Duke" by being a pushover. I think if not this year, Preston will be able to move into a starting position on the line depending what we get in free agency.

If we get Bentley or Hartings, i expect Preston to play LG. If not, i think you will see the Bills try him out at center seeing as Trey Teague is more than likely leaving the building.

maybe I spoke to soon. Found this on SI.com from the 05 draft:

BIO: Three-year starter voted honorable mention All-Conference last season.

POSITIVES: Excellent position blocker with outstanding football intangibles. Explosive off the snap, blocks with a nasty attitude and very active. Quarterbacks the line well, helps out teammates and fights throughout the play. Sets with a wide base, seals defenders from the action, and keeps his feet moving throughout the play.

NEGATIVES: Not a dominant or powerful center who opens up the middle of the field. Lacks footwork in space and overall blocking range.

ANALYSIS: A marginal athlete with adequate size and poor speed, Preston makes up for his physical shortcomings with a great understanding of the game. Offers some growth potential and could very easily backup at several positions for an NFL squad.

PROJECTION: Undrafted Free Agent

Sorry, I see Duke as a career backup at best. The Duke makes me puke. He's big but way too weak. Didn't understand the pick then and don't understand the Preston optimism now.

610053[/snapback]

it was his first year calm down, and what, he started only how many games? How can you say this after such little time to evaulate?

we almost said the same thing about mike Williams, he's still young, give him time.

Forget that! I don't think we can give them time anymore. If we can get Bentley, who imho, is the best young center in the NFL, you must get him. If Healthy, he is a pro bowler every year. Is athletic enough to get to the 2nd level, and nasty as hell.

I don't want to lose QBs and RBs while Duke is trying to reach potential. One thing I learned last year, is JP can be dangerous if given time, he has a pretty deep ball, and in time will hit the short targets. But he needs to see the field. We have short WR (evan, Parrish, Reed) so it's even more important that he has the time.