Women's hockey: US v. Finland

Rayzer32

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's okay.  I won't tell you that the US is up 5-3 in the 3rd.  Ooopps.  :blush:

It's obvious no one really gives a chit about them anyways.

603229[/snapback]

Come on....pretend it's a big surprise and a dramatic comeback for the Ivy League All Stars when they score 7 goals in the 3d period. 0:)

Come on....pretend it's a big surprise and a dramatic comeback for the Ivy League All Stars when they score 7 goals in the 3d period.  0:)

603236[/snapback]

Ivy League All Stars versus The Minnesota Golden Gophers in Duluth. Half the Finns play there. Don't they have colleges in Finland?

THUMBS DOWN ... for the women's ice hockey. Lemme get this straight. There's no checking allowed. Body contact is permitted, but only if defenders are playing the puck, and they aren't allowed to throw their hips or shoulders into opponents. Also, female hockey players are considerably slower and less talented than men's hockey players.

So to recap: Women's ice hockey is just like men's ice hockey, except the players are considerably slower and less talented, and there's no checking. Sounds like a winner. Gee, I can't believe it hasn't caught on professionally yet.

603201[/snapback]

Women worldwide will find you charming and alluring, no doubt... 0:)

The girls' Olympic hockey team played a local high school prep boys hockey team here in CT and lost BADLY to them, just a month or so ago.  I mean 5-2 bad.  At the time I thought "well there won't be any U.S medal for THAT event!" 0:)

603278[/snapback]

Do you know what HS by any chance?

Don't know if anyone here really cares about the Women's Olympic hockey team, but Finland is on the verge of an upset.  Although, Canada is gonna kick the crap out of any team they face for the gold.

603146[/snapback]

Why would you even start a thread like this unless there were naked chicks involved?

I forget which one.  I tried to do a search but couldn't find anything.  However I distinctly remember seeing they lost BADLY to a high school boys team and telling my wife that.

603319[/snapback]

I'd be really interested to find out. I can't believe this happened and it didn't get a ton of media attention. It also doesn't seem like the kind of thing they would do - risk public humiliation to gain nothing.

I'd be really interested to find out.  I can't believe this happened and it didn't get a ton of media attention.  It also doesn't seem like the kind of thing they would do - risk public humiliation to gain nothing.

I was surprised a) they lost and b) that it also wasn't more of a big deal on the (11 o'clock) newscast and nationally.

So to recap: Women's ice hockey is just like men's ice hockey, except the players are considerably slower and less talented, and there's no checking.

603201[/snapback]

You've never played the game, have you?

I was surprised a) they lost and b) that it also wasn't more of a big deal on the (11 o'clock) newscast and nationally.

603344[/snapback]

Why were you so surprised? These are, for the most part anyway, players who are only a year or two removed from high school to begin with. Losing to a team of males only a couple of years younger than you is nothing for them to be upset about.

I know the testosterone levels that message board tough guys can exhibit, but the US women's team has had more success over the past 8 years than the men's teams have had.

Why were you so surprised?  These are, for the most part anyway, players who are only a year or two removed from high school to begin with.  Losing to a team of males only a couple of years younger than you is nothing for them to be upset about.

603349[/snapback]

Unless Warroad High is a premier program, the difference to me is one is an All Star team made of the best women in the country, with players in their 20's and 30's, against a small group of teenage boys selected for all living in the same corner of Minnesota.

Unless Warroad High is a premier program, the difference to me is one is an All Star team made of the best women in the country, with players in their 20's and 30's, against a small group of teenage boys selected for all living in the same corner of Minnesota.

603355[/snapback]

Do a search on Warroad and include the surname "Christian". You'll find players by that name on both the 1960 and 1980 USA gold-medal teams, as well as the Warroad H.S. team mentioned above. That corner of Minnesota is fairly well-known for its hockey...