My Mock 2.0

Stl Bills

What would be the consensus around here if this were to happen....

FA moves:

Sign: L. Bentley, G. Jackson, R. Pickett, Ben Taylor or Will Witherspoon

Resign: R. Edwards, J. Peters (long term), Franchise Nate

Release: T. Vincent, E. Moulds, S. Adams, Bannan, J. Posey, M. Williams

Draft:

1-Vernon Davis TE-Maryland

2-Eric Winston T-Miami

3-Darryl Tapp-DE-Va Tech

3-Taitusi Lutui-G USC (might be gone by this pick)

4-Charles Gordon CB Kansas

5-Pat Watkins S-Florida State

6-Brad Smith WR-Missouri

7-Jerious Norwood RB Mississippi State

After watching that video of Davis posted in the other thread (Highlight Video of Davis) I'm sold. That kid looks like a freak! This is kind of a dream draft although I don't know how far off it really is because we haven't even seen combine workouts (a lot can change there). What are thoughts on that draft?

FA moves:

Resign:  R. Edwards, J. Peters (long term), Franchise Nate

Release: T. Vincent, E. Moulds, S. Adams, Bannan, J. Posey

Draft:

2-Eric Winston T-Miami

3-Darryl Tapp-DE-Va Tech

6-Brad Smith WR-Missouri

After watching that video of Davis posted in the other thread (Vernon Davis) I'm sold. That kid looks like a freak! This is kind of a dream draft although I don't know how far off it really is because we haven't even seen combine workouts (a lot can change there).  What are thoughts on that draft?

602353[/snapback]

do you have any info on Winston? I have seen him coming off the board as early as mid-late first round and as late as early 3rd.

does he have a recent injury history? seems to me i remember reading something to the idea that if he hadn't had an injury he would have been a sure early first rounder. (???)

Winston had a knee injury during his junior year, by all accounts preventing him from entering last years draft. Last year he was pretty much a consensus first round pick prior to the injury. Played last year and was a little inconsistent at first but looked strong towards the end of the year. That is where the question marks come from, Kiper has him going in the 4th but some others have him as high as mid first, so who knows? Not to mention the combine really does change a lot of things- I remember Troy Williamson always being regarded as a late first rounder last year and then he was taken #7 overall, and that is only one of many examples.

FA moves:

Release: T. Vincent, E. Moulds, S. Adams, Bannan, J. Posey

Draft:

2-Eric Winston T-Miami

3-Darryl Tapp-DE-Va Tech

6-Brad Smith WR-Missouri

After watching that video of Davis posted in the other thread (Vernon Davis) I'm sold. That kid looks like a freak! This is kind of a dream draft although I don't know how far off it really is because we haven't even seen combine workouts (a lot can change there).  What are thoughts on that draft?

602353[/snapback]

Lutui is a guy I've been pimping lately I like it, but more then likely he'll be gone by mid 2nd rd. I'm not a big fan of winston. I dont see the ruboff of grady jackson to sam adams. I'd rather keep adams, as he's already under contract and will come cheaper. I believe grady jackson stated last year he wants to be paid pat williams money. If thats the case I'll stick with adams for the last year of his contract, while going after a ryan pickett and maybe a draft pick as well.

Vernon Davis eh. He's a hell of an athlete, but I still say Marcedes Lewis is better, and will turn out to be the better pro. Lewis also offers the prototypical te size, and can stretch the field just as well as Davis. Davis imo is more of a workout warrior type, while Lewis is the better football player. I love the tapp pick.

Pat Watkins could turn out great or he could bomb out. He's got prototypical size and speed of a premiere safety, but That of a fs I'd be looking for more a ss type. Someones like Georgias Greg Blue or NC St. Marcus Hudson.

Dont know much about Gordon, I like the brad smith as a randle el type project pick and the jerious norwood pick also I like.

The big problem I see with your plan is the HUGE hole at WR. You really want Roscoe Parrish as our #2 WR? Please.

And keeping Mike Williams and his massive contract? The guy has shown that he's not capable of playing at a decent level, he's got to be cut so we can spend that money on O-Line improvements. Honestly our O-Line doesnt look that much better using this offseason plan at all.

However, props for the work on the D-Line, that would give us a great interior.

Gotta disagree on Williams not playing up to a decent level Malta. When healthy, our best run blocking Olineman by far. It's just that he makes such a disgusting amount of money it's very easy to slam him on anything that goes bad or he does wrong. I'm with you on Moulds though. Roscoe as a #2, boo hoo! The only guy I want released is Posey. There are quite a few paycuts that need to happen for the rest of the veterans(Moulds, Milloy,Vincent, and young veteran Williams).

Lutui is a guy I've been pimping lately I like it, but more then likely he'll be gone by mid 2nd rd.  I'm not a big fan of winston.  I dont see the ruboff of grady jackson to sam adams.  I'd rather keep adams, as he's already under contract and will come cheaper. I believe grady jackson stated last year he wants to be paid pat williams money.  If thats the case  I'll stick with adams for the last year of his contract, while going after a ryan pickett and maybe  a draft pick as well.

Vernon Davis eh.  He's a hell of an athlete, but I still say Marcedes Lewis is better, and will turn out to be the better pro.  Lewis also offers the prototypical te size, and can stretch the field just as well as Davis.  Davis imo is more of a workout warrior type, while Lewis is the better football player.  I love the tapp pick.

Pat Watkins could turn out great or he could bomb out. He's got prototypical size and speed of a premiere safety, but That of a fs  I'd be looking for more a ss type. Someones like Georgias Greg Blue or NC St. Marcus Hudson.

Dont know much about Gordon, I like the brad smith as a randle el type project pick and the jerious norwood pick also I like.

602398[/snapback]

Good analysis! I tend to agree with a lot of the things you brought up. I still think Sam Adams has a few good years left in him but I was thinking that the bridges with the organization might have been burnt after last year. Who knows though, maybe the regime change has remotivated Big Sam. He seemed to be dominant at sometimes last year but only when he really wanted to and that kind of worries me, not to mention pisses me off. Although playing next to Tim Anderson would frustrate any DT IMHO.

Too be fair, the only real footage I've seen of Davis was that highlight video, but damn was it impressive (if you haven't seen it I urge you to go check it out). I just remember having this gut feeling last year when I saw some highlights of Sean Merriman and thinking to myself: Damn that kid is a freak! Got the same gut feeling when I saw Davis.

I think the Smith and the Watkins picks are justified for a few reasons. We don't need the later rounds for Special Teams help so we might as well take some shots on guys who could make a bigger impact even though they come at a higher risk. When I look up and down the current Bills Roster it seems like we have a lot of quality back ups and decent depth; the problem is a lot of those quality backups are starters (interior OL, RE, DT-Anderson,TE), good depth at LB and in the secondary (Thomas, Greer, King, Leonhard, not Wire he sucks and should stay on Special Teams). Just my 2 cents though.

FA moves:

Release: T. Vincent, E. Moulds, S. Adams, Bannan, J. Posey, M. Williams

Draft:

2-Eric Winston T-Miami

3-Darryl Tapp-DE-Va Tech

6-Brad Smith WR-Missouri

602353[/snapback]

I'd try to restructure and keep Moulds. Davis is a luxury at #8. Even with the lines being fortified via free agency, I'd still go O-line or D-line in the 1st, maybe even trade down. I like Winston in the 2nd and Tapp is intriguing in the 3rd.

Very beside the point, but...why did you switch your preference of 7th round running backs? I have no clue who either of them are. I just thought it was strange.

After only two picks on defense in the past three years, I think we have to look more heavily to that side this year. I do, however, believe we will get at least a 4th and probably a 3rd for our free agent losses. So we'll see. I know you're not making this mock thinking your players are going to flop, but what are the odds of a 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounder panning out into a starter? I 'd say you'd be lucky to get two starters and more likely one. And considering our past two drafts, that just won't cut it.

Unless Davis is Antonio Gates - and odds are he isn't - a TE that high is not what we need.

Actually on second thought I like Norwood a lot more than Washington because he seems to be a better compliment to Willis. Norwood is a smaller faster back 208lbs but has some pretty good power (tons more than Choad Williams), the knock on him is he doesn't look like he could carry a full load but I think his value is being a change of pace back with 4.38 speed. Just don't know if this organization (especially with Marv at the reigns) will draft a player with the last name Norwood!

Winston had a knee injury during his junior year, by all accounts preventing him from entering last years draft.  Last year he was pretty much a consensus first round pick prior to the injury.  Played last year and was a little inconsistent at first but looked strong towards the end of the year.  That is where the question marks come from, Kiper has him going in the 4th but some others have him as high as mid first, so who knows? Not to mention the combine really does change a lot of things-  I remember Troy Williamson always being regarded as a late first rounder last year and then he was taken #7 overall, and that is only one of many examples.

602393[/snapback]

As bad as our OL is & as many other areas that have to be addressed, we don't have the luxury to take a chance on that big puss. No sir, I don't like that pick, not even on day 2.

And I've given up hope of Bentley coming here, I think Hartings (after the Squeelers cut him) is more feasible.