Cheney shoots hunter.....accidently

Thailog80

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The details will be worth hearing, but what kind of friggin' moron shoots another person while hunting? I've been hunting, and especially when you're with other people, you have to be some kind of 65 IQ moron to shoot one of your companions. Again, awaiting the details, but he's got some 'splaining to do.

A nice eff up for the anti-gun people to jump on. Sure Dick, tell them how safe guns are now.

The details will be worth hearing, but what kind of friggin' moron shoots another person while hunting? I've been hunting, and especially when you're with other people, you have to be some kind of 65 IQ moron to shoot one of your companions. Again, awaiting the details, but he's got some 'splaining to do.

A nice eff up for the anti-gun people to jump on. Sure Dick, tell them how safe guns are now.

601448[/snapback]

Hey, it could happen. That's how I lost my first three x-wives. I've had the worst luck. :D

“Fortunately, the vice president has got a lot of medical people around him and so they were right there and probably more cautious than we would have been,” she said. “The vice president has got an ambulance on call, so the ambulance came.”

I guess it makes sense...but I cant imagine having an ambulance on call for me 24 hours a day.

601448[/snapback]

Apparently his hunting companion had gone into the brush to retreive a bird, and come back behind the party without announcing himself...meanwhile, Cheney's got a bead on another bird. Bird flies around and behind Cheney, Cheney tracks the bird with his gun, fires, and hits his hunting buddy because he never sees him.

Sounds like an "ah, sh--" on everyone's part: the guy who got shot, for not making his presence known, Cheney's for taking a shot not having everyone in his party accounted for (and presumably for taking a shot in a direction he should have known a member of his party went off in), and the friggin' ranch owner, who's statement to the effect of "Big deal. I get shot by bird shot all the time." makes one question their competency in running a hunting ranch. :D About the only one blameless in this thing is the damned quail.

Apparently his hunting companion had gone into the brush to retreive a bird, and come back behind the party without announcing himself...meanwhile, Cheney's got a bead on another bird.  Bird flies around and behind Cheney, Cheney tracks the bird with his gun, fires, and hits his hunting buddy because he never sees him.

Sounds like an "ah, sh--" on everyone's part: the guy who got shot, for not making his presence known, Cheney's for taking a shot not having everyone in his party accounted for (and presumably for taking a shot in a direction he should have known a member of his party went off in), and the friggin' ranch owner, who's statement to the effect of "Big deal.  I get shot by bird shot all the time." makes one question their competency in running a hunting ranch.  :D  About the only one blameless in this thing is the damned quail.

601554[/snapback]

Somebody check that Dick is still alive, or was he shooting from a wheel chair. Didn't he just get out of the Hospital for another heart issue. Can't understand why he was hunting in the first place unless his friend was about to deposed by the Grand Jury in the Scooter Libbly leak and his "best friend" knew some additional info.

Quick on the trigger Cheney, that is why Walmart should be required to supply the morning after pill, accidents can happen Dick just proved the point, even at 65.

Not his fault, he was told that the guy in the orange vest was a covey of quail cleverly disguised.  Chalk it up to bad intel and give him a pass.

601535[/snapback]

Cheney's folks tried to get a pass, but the press found out anyway. Secrecy always leaks.

From the Tribune wire:

In another bit of intrigue, The New York Times reported late Sunday that Whittington was commissioner of the state's Funeral Service Commission. In 1999, George W. Bush, then governor of Texas, named Whittington to head the Commission, which licenses and regulates funeral directors and embalmers in the state. "When he was named," The Times revealed, "a former executive director of the commission, Eliza May, was suing the state, saying that she had been fired because she investigated a funeral home chain that was owned by a friend of Mr. Bush.

"The suit was settled in 2001, but the details were not disclosed."

...of course, darn ironic. And the beat goes on.

That would be funnier if MSNBC didn't run their original headline with "accidentally" in quotes.  :D  :D

601539[/snapback]

Not that it will solve the problem in Iraq or anything but I think it is pretty clear that he broke the basic safety rules. It does provide people with an opportunity to discuss hunting safety and that is probably a good thing.

Based on my limited hunting experience, the rules here are first, you're responsible, as the shooter, for knowing no person is in your line of fire before you pull the trigger. Second, in a quail hunt, for basic safety purposes you keep a clear mental picture of where your fellow hunters are at every moment. Based on that mental picture of where people are, you create a safe fire area, a range in front of you covering some number of degrees where you know no one else is. You do not fire out of that range without first making sure it is clear. It appears here that the birds flushed, Cheney aimed and tracked them 180 degrees so that he was basically facing the opposite direction from where he started. He was then firing into an area where obviously had no idea whether it was safe or not.

He is lucky no one got killed. I imagine that among hunters this particular manner of screw up will forever be called, "pulling a Chaney". :doh:

Not that it will solve the problem in Iraq or anything but I think it is pretty clear that he broke the basic safety rules.  It does provide people with an opportunity to discuss hunting safety and that is probably a good thing.

Based on my limited hunting experience, the rules here are first, you're responsible, as the shooter, for knowing no person is in your line of fire before you pull the trigger.  Second, in a quail hunt, for basic safety purposes you keep a clear mental picture of where your fellow hunters are at every moment. Based on that mental picture of where people are, you create a safe fire area, a range in front of you covering some number of degrees where you know no one else is.  You do not fire out of that range without first making sure it is clear.  It appears here that the birds flushed, Cheney aimed and tracked them 180 degrees so that he was basically facing the opposite direction from where he started.  He was then firing into an area where obviously had no idea whether it was safe or not.

He is lucky no one got killed.  I imagine that among hunters this particular manner of screw up will forever be called, "pulling a Chaney". :D

601621[/snapback]

In basic hunting terms you are given a range of free fire. In this type of line hunting it is not you job to ensure everyone is on line but rather they have to stay there and announce if they are not. I am not sure where Cheney was on the line, but the end guys have more range naturally are will tend to follow behind them more often. If he was middle of the line, then he probably should not be shooting behind the line.

He is lucky no one got killed.

601621[/snapback]

my god....i can't imagine what kind of media circus would ensue if that happened.

not that i don't think it would have been well deserved, but i think somewhere around the 30th consecutive day, i would have been asking to join his next hunting party.

my god....i can't imagine what kind of media circus would ensue if that happened.

not that i don't think it would have been well deserved, but i think somewhere around the 30th consecutive day, i would have been asking to join his next hunting party.

601677[/snapback]

I think we can all be thankful for the wealth of new Dick Cheney nicknames and political cartoons this incident will fuel. "Dead Eye Dick" for example. I think that from now on any depiction of him in a cartoon should include an Elmer Fudd hat.

"QMD's" (quails of mass destruction). I can't wait to see what professional comedians will do this one.

You have to admit, "Vice President Shoots Friend" is not the kind of headline you see everyday.

I think we can all be thankful for the wealth of new Dick Cheney nicknames and political cartoons this incident will fuel.  "Dead Eye Dick" for example.  I think that from now on any depiction of him in a cartoon should include an Elmer Fudd hat.

"QMD's" (quails of mass destruction).  I can't wait to see what professional comedians will do this one.

You have to admit, "Vice President Shoots Friend" is not the kind of headline you see everyday.

601748[/snapback]

Hmmm...should every depiction of President Clinton have showm him with an erection?