Jets Major Press Conference at 3

Albany,n.y.

John, if you pay zero attention to any of my views on football....believe this:

Herm Edwards is a huckster. He is a horrible coach. KC was nothing less than stupid to hire him, and he will take the Chiefs right down the tubes.

597725[/snapback]

If I have disagreed with you 1,000 times on TBD, I have *never* disagreed with you more strongly than on this point.

I think that Herm Edwards is an outstanding coach. Three playoff berths in five years. He has gone to the playoffs every single year in which his starting QB has stayed healthy. He turned a 1-4 start into a division title in a very competitive division. He has two huge playoff wins on his resume, including going in to San Diego on the road last year, and blowing out Peyton Manning and the Colts 41-0 (think about that for a moment.... 41-0 in the playoffs! Belichick never dominated Manning like that.) He was an idiot kicker away from the AFC Championship Game in 2004. Moreover, he has done all this while playing the difficult AFC East schedule, in the same division as the dynastic New England Patriots.

Moreover, and this will go against everything you hear in the national media, Herman Edwards is one of the most outstanding clock managers in the NFL. A close examination of the record will bear me out on this - despite the conventional wisdom. He knows how manage the clock to be the last man with the ball, and the last chance to win. He understands that a 5 yard delay-of-game penalty can be well worth the price of saving a timeout for late in the game.

Now, Kansas City has a lot of problems - Trent Green is going to be 36 this year, and there is no replacement QB on board. Their offensive line isn't going to be around for forever, and they still have deficiencies on defense to correct. Nevertheless, Kansas City has been one of the best-run organizations in football for decades, and now they have one of the best coaches in the game. A lot of luck goes into these things, but I would not be at all surprised by a Super Bowl in the next 10 years.

JDG

A lot of luck goes into these things, but I would not be at all surprised by a Super Bowl in the next 10 years.

JDG

597759[/snapback]

Don't go TOO far out on that limb, shall we? :D

In 10 years, Edwards will be out of football. Jet fans are nothing less than thrilled to see him go.

I don't really want to argue. Why don't we see how this plays out, OK? :D

Clod Tollins is still there. :D

597827[/snapback]

But even he is a free agent! KC really does have the most dire QB situation in the League.... if they weren't in the same division as San Diego, they'd be the most logical destination for Rivers.

JDG