Moon selected HOF, or Black QB selected HOF

Mr. T

1. The most impressive thing for me regarding Moon is that he is the FIRST UDFA QB to get in.  Now that is impressive to me and a real notable point.  Given the times (folks like Jimmy the Greek or MLB exec Al Campanis openly saying the falsehood that A-As lacked the "fundamentals" to be good HCs/Managers) my sense is that part of the reason Moon was not even drafted despite some great college accomplishments at QB was his race.  Part of his career was the reality of this issue and it is hard for me to see ignoring reality when considering or judging his career.

596064[/snapback]

As previously noted elsewhere -- Moon went undrafted only because he'd already signed a CFL contract before the 1978 draft took place. The #17 pick in the first round of that draft? The Buccaneers selected QB Doug Williams, Grambling State.

Edited to add Moon's college credentials, from his bio on the HOF media website:

College: Produced 242 completions on 496 pass attempts for 3,277 yards with 19 touchdowns and 17 interceptions in three

seasons (’75-77) as a starter at the University of Washington after transferring to the

school from West Los Angeles Junior College ... Named Pac 8 Conference Player of the Year as a senior in ’77 when

completed 133 passes of 199 attempts for 1,584 yards with 11 TDs and seven INTs ... Led the Huskies to the ’78 Rose Bowl

following his senior campaign, the school’s first berth in that game since ’63 ... Earned Rose Bowl Most Valuable Player

honors after engineering a 27-20 upset of Michigan, hitting on 12 of 23 passes for 188 yards and two TDs ...

So: 242-496 (48.8 completion %), 3277 yards, 19 passing TDs, 17 INTs. To compare, let's look at PSU QB Michael Robinson's college stats: 248-505 (49.1 %), 3531 yards, 23 passing TDs, 21 INTs. And at the Senior Bowl, they wanted Robinson to switch to WR.

No wonder they were projecting Moon as a mid-round pick...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the day when Bud Grant didn't even heat the benches or allow long shirts Fran T. put up his numbers outdoors in Minn., wind, ice, freezing tmps. Comparing his stats with Moon who played at least one half of his career in a dome is unfair. I think Tarenkton, Farve, etc stats are far more impressive and I would think anyone who threw a football outside in the fall north of the Mason Dixon would concur. Is it harder to throw a 15 yd. out at the Ralph or in the astrodome?

594995[/snapback]

Didn't Moon spend most of his career in the run-n-shoot, a pass happy offense? That surely had something to do with his passing yards. No way he should be a first-ballot over Thurman Thomas. No way.

I thought it was the PRO Football HOF not the NFL Football HOF.  Shouldn't his CFL stats have some meaning in the debate?

596477[/snapback]

No, because if that was the case Ronnie Lancaster would be in Canton.

...and you know who would be a lock in 5 or 6 years.