For those hypeing Cutler/Young

The offensive line has to be fixed before upgrading any other offensive position PERIOD.

Some of that will be addressed in free agency and some will be done on day 1 in the draft. We might take a QB in the late rounds(6-7) on day 2. Until the Bills significantly upgrade both the OL and DL there will be no winning now or in the future.

I think that we will have JP and Kelly battling for the number 1 and number 2 spots, meanwhile we'll have a couple of players battling for the number 3 spot.

I doubt the Bills will address the QB position in free agency by picking up a Culpepper or Collins type of player. We may grab a young kid or two off waivers to battle for 3rd on the depth chart.

Our available cap dollars have to be spent on other positions. OL, DL and maybe the secondary. We need to build a solid foundation with the OL so then we can properly evaluate what we have in JP. I think we pretty much know what we have with Holcomb, a good back up.

All of this JP is "definitely not the answer" is extremely premature. He has only started 8 games, and he vastly improved over those games. Will he definitely be the answer? I do not know, but I'm leaning on the side of he could be given his improvement through the year.

Bottom line is that I would be jaw dropping to the floor surprised if the Bills pick a QB on day 1 much less in the 1st round. When Levy coached here we always had very good or excellent lines, I expect that to be the case now to.

Unless they have some grand plan where not only do these two QBs turn out to be Ben RoboQB or Dan Marino and are productive in their rookie season AND the 06 Bills turn out to be as productive as the 04 Steelers in running and stopping the run, picking either of  these two QBs (gosh forbid trading away valuable resources to move up) picking either player or any QB in the first does not seem to compute.

Do you really believe either of these players (or any other QB in this draft) is going to win now as Marv says the plan is with this team (psrticularly when they forgo getting help to stop the run with the #1 pick?

Do you think Marv is lying about the win now dictum (either to fool the opposition or because he simply is full of it).

Do you really see either of these players or this team pulling off something a player of the quality of Peyton Manning came no where near to pulling off his rookie year?

The idea of drafting either Young or Cutler seems bizarre to me if you plan to win in 06 or even in 07.

587740[/snapback]

Good post once again FFS.

Imo, the very last thing that the Bills need to do is to waste their first pick on a dime a dozen "skill player" ala Roscoe Parrish. The next worst thing to do would be to throw it away on a quarterback. This by the way is coming from a poster who has little faith in JP to ever be a good qb in this league.

The Bills can improve simply by strengthing themselves up front on both lines, and to stop tossing away cap dollars on has beens such as Eric Moulds. This season, the Bills draft early and have an extra pick to boot. Perhaps they can use one of the early 3rds to draft a qb such as Brodie Croyle from Alabama. He is relatively unheralded at this time, and in any case would serve more of a purpose than Matthews in terms of being 3rd string.

The JP scenario will play itself out in due time. He will either be a good qb, or continue to be a high-fiving, hair flopping, pick tossing bust. In the meantime, a young qb candidate SHOULD be brought into Buffalo to compete, but NOT with a first round pick.

There are other far more pressing needs.

Good post once again FFS.

Imo, the very last thing that the Bills need to do is to waste their first pick on a dime a dozen "skill player" ala Roscoe Parrish. The next worst thing to do would be to throw it away on  a quarterback. This by the way is coming from a poster who has little faith in JP to ever be a good qb in this league.

The Bills can improve simply by strengthing themselves up front on both lines, and to stop tossing away cap dollars on has beens such as Eric Moulds. This season, the Bills draft early and have an extra pick to boot. Perhaps they can use one of the early 3rds to draft a qb such as Brodie Croyle from Alabama. He is relatively unheralded at this time, and in any case would serve more of a purpose than Matthews in terms of being 3rd string.

The JP scenario will play itself out in due time. He will either be a good qb, or continue to be a high-fiving, hair flopping, pick tossing bust. In the meantime, a young qb candidate SHOULD be brought into Buffalo to compete, but NOT with a first round pick.

There are other far more pressing needs.

588429[/snapback]

Omar Jacobs

You're right about Fuller.. Marv actually wanted somebody else.. but Marv ok'd the Collins pick. Butler often disagreed with Marv and Marv got his way. Moulds is a prime example, JB wanted to draft a RB(Leeland McElroy I think was his name) but Marv chose Moulds.

And that someone else was...........Joe Montana.

I think Marv knows what he's doing. <_<

You're right about Fuller.. Marv actually wanted somebody else..

587813[/snapback]

That 'somebody else' was Joe Montana.

Marv wanted to draft Montana in the 2nd round, but was forced by his boss to trade up to 1st round to pick Steve Fuller.