Ovechkin video....WOW!!!!

LabattBlue

There once was a time when we would not have been able to see someone like Ovechkin outside of the Olympics. Thankfully, the 1972 Summit Series and the Canada Cup helped significantly change international hockey. With the Gretzky and Lemieux era officially over, we are once again very fortunate to now witness the beginning of the Ovechkin and Crosby era. And who knows what Evgeni Malkin (drafted by the Penguins) and Phil Kessel (University of Minnesota freshman) will add to the mix.

As for the highlights, I had trouble downloading the clips but the web site worked out for me: http://www.ovechkinfans.com/.

The one timer against the Flyers was sweet (goal # 25). The thing about Ovechkin is like Lemieux, he also plays a physical style.

There once was a time when we would not have been able to see someone like Ovechkin outside of the Olympics.  Thankfully, the 1972 Summit Series and the Canada Cup helped significantly change international hockey.  With the Gretzky and Lemieux era officially over, we are once again very fortunate to now witness the beginning of the Ovechkin and Crosby era.  And who knows what Evgeni Malkin (drafted by the Penguins) and Phil Kessel (University of Minnesota freshman) will add to the mix. 

As for the highlights, I had trouble downloading the clips but the web site worked out for me:  http://www.ovechkinfans.com/.

The one timer against the Flyers was sweet (goal # 25).  The thing about Ovechkin is like Lemieux, he also plays a physical style.

587774[/snapback]

Call me a homer, but if Vanek is ever placed on the right line I think he could be a super star as well (maybe not quite Ovechkin or Crosby level, but just under that).

There once was a time when we would not have been able to see someone like Ovechkin outside of the Olympics.  Thankfully, the 1972 Summit Series and the Canada Cup helped significantly change international hockey.  With the Gretzky and Lemieux era officially over, we are once again very fortunate to now witness the beginning of the Ovechkin and Crosby era.  And who knows what Evgeni Malkin (drafted by the Penguins) and Phil Kessel (University of Minnesota freshman) will add to the mix. 

As for the highlights, I had trouble downloading the clips but the web site worked out for me:  http://www.ovechkinfans.com/.

The one timer against the Flyers was sweet (goal # 25).  The thing about Ovechkin is like Lemieux, he also plays a physical style.

587774[/snapback]

I think I've seen better shooters than Ovechkin (not many...Gretzky and Jagr are the only ones that immediately come to mind), but his puck handling skills are other-worldly.

I knew he was rediculously talented, and he was expected to score a boatload of goals, which he is. But I had no idea he threw his weight around like that.

I also think Vanek will be a goal-scoring force eventually, similar to Mogilny but with less speed and more trickery. But the little bit that I have seen from Crosby and Ovechkin, Vanek is not at their level this year. Vanek's highlight video would pale in comparison to what I just watched Ovechkin do.

Call me a homer, but if Vanek is ever placed on the right line I think he could be a super star as well (maybe not quite Ovechkin or Crosby level, but just under that).

587880[/snapback]

The biggest difference between Vanek and the other two is Vanek takes shifts off. He's ridiculously talented but the game has seemingly always come easily to him. Because of this, when things aren't going his way he tends to float.

He could be a very special player if guys like Drury can convince him to go hard every shift.

I think I've seen better shooters than Ovechkin (not many...Gretzky and Jagr are the only ones that immediately come to mind), but his puck handling skills are other-worldly.

587918[/snapback]

Shoot, the Sabres have a better shooter than Ovechkin in Ales Kotalik but there aren't five guys on the planet who can make the moves AO makes at the speed he makes them at.

The biggest difference between Vanek and the other two is Vanek takes shifts off.  He's ridiculously talented but the game has seemingly always come easily to him.  Because of this, when things aren't going his way he tends to float.

He could be a very special player if guys like Drury can convince him to go hard every shift.

589257[/snapback]

I saw exactly the same thing Darin. When Vanek didn't score for the first 15-odd games of the season, he seemed to have a little pout going. It was like everything that had always worked in the past, like little dekes and 360s and fancy stuff, suddenly wasn't working, and he was not going hard because of it. I said it would be nice to see him poke in a rebound while taking some lumber across the back, instead of trying for the highlight reel goals. He has started to do that, and many of his recent goals have been a result of camping out in front on the PP.

I'm sure guys like Drury made an impression on him, but I would assume someone like Gaustad had a bigger effect. Vanek knew he was supposed to be our next gun, and when he sees a fellow rookie having success, especially one who was a low-round pick and not even expected to make the team, it had to wake him up and realize he is going to have to work for everything he gets.

Also, back to AO: Ovechkin had about 10 goals on that highlight clip that were better than anything I've seen this year. I had seen highlights here and there and I knew the guy was lighting it up, but what I liked about the link posted above was the body checks. The dude is going to be a force for a long time.