Well, there might be a sliver of hope...

sven233

I hope and I do not see the Bills trading up to get any player.

If we were one player away from winning or even getting to the SB next year and that player was in the top 7 then by all means trade value away to get him and risk the huge cap hit vested in taking a player at the MW/Harrington spot in the draft.

However, even if one buys into the reports on D'Brick the Golden Boy stated calculus of win now seems to dictate first that there is a real limit to the value of a player whose primary value is that he will become out LT for years to come after he hits in stride in his second year (if we are lucky- when did Pace/Ogden. or Walter Jones make their 1st Pro Bowls).

Add to that the Bills being more than 1 player away so not only does time a player contribute count against us trading up for a long-term great payoff, but if anything our goals of winning sooner rather than later actually dictates us trading down for extra help instead of trading up or staying where we are.

Third, add into this that trading up actually will strip us of needed resources and agree with you that we will almost certainly not trade up and if we do it is a death sentence in 06 and maybe in 07 also.

I think this draft will be interesting because it will be more fluid than usual.  I hope someone makes us some stupid blockbuster offer and we move down, but instead I look for some real draftday movement as we try to get that extra thrid rounder by trading down who make the Pro Bowl as Travis when we chose him but we still get the player we targeted with the pick as we did that year when got Clements anyway and he also got the Pro Bowl nonor once.

Even with good maeuvers such as this TH turned out to be an idiot and Nate has failed to live up to the lofty goals he set for himself.

We'll see.

586820[/snapback]

getting a guy as good as brick looks to be does a lot for a team like ours.

1. we improve our LT, LG (gandy moves over).

2. we are able to ditch m williams and trey and sign a guy like bently and with very little cap change (a bit more but not so much) we have

brick gandy bently villarial/preston peters

as our line, that is tackle to tackle better and the best line our team has had since kelly.

3. if we can we can cut and re sign williams with leverage that a stud tackle gives us.

4. while we are not a good team, we have some skill players with a ton of upside, locking in a solid line now (along with a new OC whol can get it done) gives us a chance to really develop an O

i think ngata, ferguson, or williams will be there at 8 and any of them will help us

I'd love to see the Brick drafted, but it remains to be seen how dominant he ends up being. He's the best of this draft class- and thats coming out of college....you know how that works out sometimes

586977[/snapback]

Brick was argurebly the best of last year's draft too if he came out. So it's not like he's come out of no where to take the title.

Brick was argurebly the best of last year's draft too if he came out. So it's not like he's come out of no where to take the title.

586979[/snapback]

I understand that, but a lot of times these guys billed as the best in 10 years arre graded that high because there is nobody in their draft class as good....that said, I'd gladly draft him 8th.

I'm just saying that I'm skeptical of his reputation

Well, as you all know I am VERY high on getting D'Brick in here with our first round pick.  He is a dominant pass blocker and a franchise LT for years to come.  He has been the talk of the Senior Bowl and from all reports has dominated all of his competition (as expected).  The only knock on him at all is the fact that he plays a little light, which will hurt his run blocking some.  However, after his performance this year and at the Senior Bowl practices, that doen't seem to be an issue as he is the stand out player there.

He is going to be a fantastic player in the NFL for years to come.  This is the guy I want and I know many of you want as well.  But, he is slated to be a top 5 pick in the draft.  That is the problem.  And with Marv's history in the draft, we will not be trading up.....or down for that matter.  I don't recall Marv making any moves in the draft hardly at all.  With that said, our only chance at getting him is at 8.

From all the mocks that are out there, there really is 1, maybe 2 teams in our way that have a great chance of getting him.  The team of most concern seems to be the Jets at 4.  So I took a stroll over to their message board to see what there big draft hype is all about.  As expected, BRICK seems to be the favorite as of now.  HOWEVER, it is interesting to note that Jay Cutler seems to not only be on their radar, but is quickly gaining some steam to be picked at 4.  There is also talk of them trying to trade that pick and move down to 7 or so to take him there (before Detroit).  There is also some talk to DeAngelo Williams there as well.  Also, there is an outside chance that you may see AJ Hawk go there as well.....seem like Mangini's type of LB and with them running a 3-4 Defense, that could be the choice.  BUT, overall, it looks as though BRICK is the favorite to go to the Jets at 4.  However, after spending some time there, I believe there might be a SLIVER of hope that the Jets pass on him, leaving there a decent chance he might be there at 8 for us.

D'BRICK might be the best player to come out of this draft according to a lot of people.  I am just hoping he slides to us.  Likely.....no.  But, there might be an outside shot.  Then we have to worry about Green Bay and even San Fransisco.  So, it probably won't happen, but I am hoping the miracle takes place and he ends up here.

586654[/snapback]

who cares? gimme ngata at #8, that's all i ask. no other position will be as important for the bills in 06's as a run stopper on the d-line. that will go a lot farther than any o-lineman could at this point.

So who are the names that could go in the top 7 ahead of us?

Definite: Bush, Lienart, Young

Possible: Hawk, D'Brick, Mario Williams, Dmeca Ryans, Ngata, Winston Justice, Lendale White, Kiwanuka, Huff, Hali, Cutler.

Can people add anybody else who has a shot of going in the top 7? I'm still looking for ways for Mario Williams to fall to us, so anytime I hear any new name listed as a possible top seven pick, I get excited.

who cares? gimme ngata at #8, that's all i ask. no other position will be as important for the bills in 06's as a run stopper on the d-line.  that will go a lot farther than any o-lineman could at this point.

586991[/snapback]

But the draft isn't for just 2006, it's for 2006 and beyond. I think this is where some are to short sighted to understand that a draft is not for just one year.