Top-10 Board if Ngata, Ferguson, Williams are gone

we need big fat physical guys, no question about it -- but if u make a pick at #8, u must get a player who can be an all-pro and a starter for years to come, regardless of position. Last thing you need is to make a reach at #8 for a player who is a late 1st or 2nd round pick, just because u have needs at that position. Then you end up way overpaying for a marginal player -- you haven't solved your problem, and u have a big hit against the cap. Chances are that it will be 2-3 years before your draft picks make a big impact anyway....so your strengths and weaknesses in 3 years will be different than they are today.

Mike williams was drafted #4, and he is now the highest paid on the team. U can't reach and miss again. If stuck picking at #8 and ngata or brick are gone, u have to go best available player. If that's a CB or a safety, that's who u draft. I agree I'd try and trade down, but how many more years does milloy have? Get Huff and he is a dominant safety starting in 2 years.

Then u have to look to get a DT in round 2, and to free agency for another lineman or 2.

Marv's philosophy has always been to draft the best available player, and that is the right approach.

If DeAngelo williams was sitting there at 8, would also be hard to pass up...but i'd hate to pull the trigger.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right-O, Fearless leader.  RB is way down the list, right now.  From his list...Hali or the CB Williams.

585905[/snapback]

I've seen a lot of mention of Jimmy Williams as an alternative selection at #8, but he's well known for having behavioral issues and in Tech's bowl game he actually got ejected for bumping an official, and yet some people think Marv is going to draft this guy early in round one? :blink:

Just a reminder that some of you guys who think college football starts in mid-January might want to at least preface your interjections with "IMO" or go back to what you were saying in November. Something like "I'll be happy if they draft an offensive lineman in every round". :D

I've seen a lot of mention of Jimmy Williams as an alternative selection at #8, but he's well known for having behavioral issues and in Tech's bowl game he actually got ejected for bumping an official, and yet some people think Marv is going to draft this guy early in round one?      :blink:

Just a reminder that some of you guys who think college football starts in mid-January might want to at least preface your interjections with "IMO" or go back to what you were saying in November.  Something like "I'll be happy if they draft an offensive lineman in every round".  :D

587224[/snapback]

I asked a question (in some thread...i get confused) about J Williams "behavorial issues" as they''ve been mentioned a couple of time on The Wall. Is this particular ejection the only instance...or, are there others?

If this is patteren, or if there are other instances that would reveal character issues, then I agree he's probably not our (Marv's) man. But, if this is a relatively isolated incident, I don't think that makes it a character issue. Remember, Marv had Kelly, Bruce and Thurman...not exactly alter boys.

I asked a question (in some thread...i get confused) about J Williams "behavorial issues" as they''ve been mentioned a couple of time on The Wall.  Is this particular ejection the only instance...or, are there others?

If this is patteren, or if there are other instances that would reveal character issues, then I agree he's probably not our (Marv's) man.  But, if this is a relatively isolated incident, I don't think that makes it a character issue.  Remember, Marv had Kelly, Bruce and Thurman...not exactly alter boys.

587243[/snapback]

Williams had that rep prior to the issue with the official. It was no secret, his attitude was mentioned as a negative on several regular season broadcasts, so those who follow the game(and VT gets a lot of national games) should have been aware. There was some rumbling that some VT coaches were not going to be heartbroken if he didn't return for his senior season and that coaches felt there was a problem with players worried too much about their draft status and not enough about the team and that had lead to some disappointing seasons of late. A VT local could give you more in depth info, but I've seen way more than enough. The whole thing came to ahead in the bowl game vs. Louisville, but Williams early ejection was overshadowed by Marcus Vick stomping Elvis.

Some things don't get mentioned in broadcast games and emerge as surprise issues on draft day, but this ain't one of them. Neither is the issue with McNeill from Auburns stenosis. It's OLD NEWS, yet as recently as a week ago there were quite a few people trying to justify him as a Bills first rounder.

Williams had that rep prior to the issue with the official.  It was no secret, his attitude was mentioned as a negative on several regular season broadcasts, so those who follow the game(and VT gets a lot of national games) should have been aware.  There was some rumbling that some VT coaches were not going to be heartbroken if he didn't return for his senior season and that coaches felt there was a problem with players worried too much about their draft status and not enough about the team and that had lead to some disappointing seasons of late.  A VT local could give you more in depth info, but I've seen way more than enough.  The whole thing came to ahead in the bowl game vs. Louisville, but Williams early ejection was overshadowed by Marcus Vick stomping Elvis.   

Some things don't get mentioned in broadcast games and emerge as surprise issues on draft day, but this ain't one of them.  Neither is the issue with McNeill from Auburns stenosis.  It's OLD NEWS, yet as recently as a week ago there were quite a few people trying to justify him as a Bills first rounder.

587274[/snapback]

Well, that's certainly something to consider, then. I love the way the kid plays, though. If there are things to trust Marv on, it's stuff like this, IMO. He wants "character" guys, but he isn't looking for boy scouts. He looks for football character...good teammates and such. I think old man Levy will be having a good sit down with many of these guys to see what they are like.

Maybe Marv and JoPa can sit down over a bottle of Geritol and discuss Hali.